Harry Potter Theme CAL

yarnyviolet

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Mollys sweater on my todo list too , but just havent managed to even sort the yarn needed yet . But is definitely a roundtooit . Will see if I can get myself organised to join you . I need to figure out how much of each colour to get , approximately , then the worse part is over , and I can just get on with it , lol.

This is where I got my pattern from......http://www.crochetcabin.bravehost.com/

The pattern is emailed to you after purchasing , and is just for the sleeves . Shelleden is a Crochetville member.

Yarnyviolet , what "cardi" pattern are you using to attach your sleeves to?

No it isn't just the sleeves. That is the pattern I am using. The body is just that simple so it doesn't take up much room. The sleeves are pretty easy too just a lot of colour changes. I have done the body and have half a sleeve done.

march2007004-1.jpg

This is where I have stalled as I have too many projects on the go. I am using violet heather instead of rose heather and I am using wool. I just picked the colours off the internet as I don't have anywhere nearby to buy yarn. Some of the colours I wasn't sure of so I guessed. It looks really nice to me so far. The body of the pattern is super easy. Dc with a little shaping.

Rachel

Actually the movie comes out July 13 and the book July 21.

I would like to make some things too. I have the pattern for Molly sleeves only, not sure if I'm ready to make that commitment although it might be fun to do with others. Let me look at the patter again.

I would love to join this CAL.

Debbi

My husband has also requested an afghan in burgundy and gold so that fits too. I am debating if I should do a ripple or some other kind. It is chenille yarn that I got off Ebay.:think

I also noticed that my children's names start with R and H and I could do little sweaters with their initials on them in the appropriate colours.

I did a few more rows on my sleeves this morning.

Rachel

Rachel what yarn are you using for your sleeve? I like that yarn.

Love the idea for the sweaters! :lol The afghan would be great too. I think a ripple would be nice. I never thought of doing an HP afghan. Just any pattern but the colors of yarn.

Debbi

The yarn is good old Elann Peruvian Highland worsted weight wool. I often buy from Elann.com because they have good service. When you buy books from them you get vouchers for money off your yarn orders over a certain amount. As I have no where near me to buy yarn I also belong to their sample club where they send me enough yarn to make a swatch for their featured yarns of the month.

Of course the obvious Harry Potter thing to make is a scarf in the house colours. July is a little warm for a scarf though.:(

I am getting there on my first sleeve. Did you guys get a free sleeve pattern? I bought mine and it came with the body instructions too. That is so weird.:think I am even going to try blocking this (this is my first wearable larger than a size 4 childrens so I don't normally block anything but my socks and scarves) so I have to order pins. Unfortunately I can't JUST order pins as the temptation is too great to get a pile of other stuff.:yarn :yarn :yarn:D .

Rachel

Rachel ,The pattern I bought only had the sleeve instructions . I plan on adding my completed , lol , one day , lol , sleeves to this http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id62.html .And I also wish to use shades of greens , browns and creams .So , mine wont even look like a replica of Mollys sweater really I suppose . Yours are looking great . Well done for even starting . My pattern says that after the sleeves were finished , she weighed them and their combined weight was 600grams . So that is a start to how much to buy I suppose . I have some in my stash already , I am hoping enough though , and need to buy some more .Looking forward to seeing some more piccies and hope to start mine soon too.

The pattern I bought had only the sleeves, but I could probably add a simple vest pattern to it, or figure something out, maybe.

Maybe a summer scarf. I know there are patterns out there. Then just the colors. Or a skinny scraf. I guess it doesn't have to look exactly like theirs for the summer.

Debbi

That is so strange. I bought mine a couple of months ago and it came with a body. Yes the sleeves are pretty big. I have been working on it some more. The yarn ends:eek will keep me going for days. In fact I will weave the ones for this sleeve in before starting the other one or it would be too much. I just can't knot....I would know everytime I wore it and feel guilty for some stupid reason.

After my sweater is done then maybe the burgundy and gold afghan. We don't have a movie theatre so I will have to wait for it to come out on DVD. I am waiting for the book! We don't have a book store either but I can order it.

Rachel

Looks like there are 2 different sleeve patterns. Mine calls for a smaller yarn too... Size E hook I believe.

Anyway I decided it would be cute to make a Pensieve. Just something easy too. So at lunch today I made one.

pensive2.jpg

[not clickable]

and obviously not blocked or set. But you get an idea.

Here's another pic of it

pensive1.jpg

[not clickable]

I'm going to get some gold and silver thread and put the "Ancient Runes Symbols" on it... I was wondering if I could do my shorthand on there... it's ancient (from the 1930 Gregg book)... but not sure what I can do yet. Maybe just some squiggly lines. It's all done in single crochet, so shouldn't be too hard.

I'm going to add some chocolate to the inside and a note for my friend so when she has something she doesn't want to think about or needs to think about she can come to her "pensieve" and relax... ;) I thought I'd give it to her because she likes HP and because I'm late on her birthday present (movie & dinner, just us girls), even though she understands why.

What do you think about the Pensieve?

Debbi

I think the pensieve is super-cute, and a fantastic idea! Sometimes a good piece of chocolate goes a long way to easing the mind :).

I'm still cranking out the doggie scarves. Seems like when I get caught up I get more requests! I was also thinking about whipping up some placemats in the house colors for the Harry Potter party I'll be hosting (and incorporating that into a game!).

I'm sure you can join, I think the starter of the CAL has to approve, but I don't think anyone is turned down. So start crocheting!:hook

Okay, I couldn't get a clear picture so there isn't one... but thought this was interesting. This morning it was cold so I put on my slippers, my double strand warm slippers. I realized that they are HARRY POTTER SLIPPERS. They are one strand burgendy one strand gold. I thought it was kind of funny too because I made them when I was sick about a year ago, my feet were freezing so I just grabbed 2 strands of yarn.

Anyway I thought that might be an idea for anyone. I'm thinking stripped slippers would be so cute. I may have to make some for Christmas gifts. (And myself).

Debbi

Hi there, I might join in later on. First of all, I want to make sure I got the House colors correct.:think

Gry. - red and gold

Syth. - green and silver

Rav.- blue and bronze ? (in the films, the colors are med blue and silver)

Huff.- yellow and black

For HP projects, I will think of something. maybe socks or dishclothes in those colors. :hook Dunno which yarn brand will be better picks for those colors.

From another site with lots of HP crafts (these were on the knitted sweater pattern, I looked to see what they did on knit)

Gry - burgundy

old gold

Syth. - bottle green

Grey Mix

Rav.- (movie colors)

Navy

Grey Mix

Huff.- Old Gold

Black

I don't know if it matters too much as long as it's close to the colors you want or whoever is receiving it. I don't think the Pensieve was white, but I had white yarn with me, so I made it white.;)

Debbi

Of course you can join even if you support the wrong house:lol . Yeah the colours can be a bit confusing between the movie and the books. You could make some weird looking house elf hats too. See even a dead beginner can join and make lumpy hats on purpose. I cannot wait for the last book to come out. I am sure there will be good things to make in there too.

Slippers are a good idea. There are so many possibilities. Good luck everyone! I am almost done my first sleeve.

Rachel

I really love the Ravenclaw Blue and Bronze. My newest batch of dog scarves is going to be really fun--I get to do a POA-style Slytherin, a block-style Ravenclaw in the book colors, and the usual Gryffindor :). I actually have to go buy more yarn for the HP projects after work...never thought I'd hit that point! I found red AND gold in the mill ends at AC Moore last month and assumed it would last me forever LOL!

My dogs wear stuff often--I'm training my dachsie as a therapy dog and the kids just LOVE seeing him wearing a funny hat or a goofy sweater. As soon as my little cocker Princess is mature enough I'm hoping to train her as well, so she's been accustomed to dressing up as well.

I absolutely LOVE the idea for HP slippers! The pensieve ended up being SO cute, BTW. I can't wait to see all the Weasley sweaters posted!

Archived