Harry Potter Theme CAL

yarnyviolet

Hello, Iam making a Harry Potter doll for my mum as a birthday gift, thought I'd share what I have done so far.

Not really using a pattern as such, a combination of several different ones, will be making the clothes patterns up as I go along and plan to do him in his school uniform.

Rox

that doll is sooooooooo cute, love the way its coming along.

naida:hook

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers guys for your comments, glad you like him, will be working on the clothing this week, once I have stuffed him. Just debating what type of yarn to buy for the tie and the insert of the jumper.

Rox

I can't wait to see your finished doll!

I was looking for something and came across this

troll doll

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30921&highlight=year

It has pictures and I think links to the full crochet trolls. I thought that applies to us here since they have trolls in HP.

Might be good to add to your HP doll collection...

Snowy Owl -- well I couldn't decide if it was Hedwig, as it is white, but it's so tiny, makes me think of Pigwidgen (sp?), Rons little owl.

Debbi

As a newbie to the forum, can I come & play? Pleeeease? ;) I think I'll do the owl (probably a few! :hook) , and think of some other stuff as well. The bookmarks look good - and so does the sweater!! I would love to do it, but money's a bit tight at the moment. Maybe later. Now to get crocheting!

Well, I downloaded OldBagLady's owlet & baby snow dragon patterns yesterday afternoon - already done an owl (not assembled yet!) & half a dragon so far. When they're finished, I will post piccys of them!

Debbi-a1, love the pensieve - I will have to think about doing one of them! Astrology or alchemy symbols could also be embroidered onthe outside! Also, thanks for the link to the HP doll pattern! Another wanna-do pattern!

Krazy Kitty, love your doll too! It's looking good!

By the way, when SS is mentioned (on this CAL), do you mean the first HP book? I'm just asking, because I did get told that the title (here & in the UK, The Philosopher's Stone) was changed for the US. If so, what did it get changed to?

Philosopher's Stone was changed in the US to Sorcerer's Stone.

It's like a few things, for example, they call the school uniforms "robes" or "uniforms" rather then Jumpers (except in the second movie with Ginny). Becase in the US Jumpers are dresses for girls... and even JK Rowling said she wasn't sure how the US would react to Harry wearing a Jumper:lol .

Debbi

I had an idea yesterday and seeing I had some money in my checking and Micheals was having a yarn sale, I thought I'd try soemthing.

I thought I'd do an HP Hogwarts House Color Afghan. I thought I like 12 inch squares and since it's getting warming, I didn't want to do a full size afghan all at once. And I didn't want to do little squares (I'm doing that with my Tetris afghan, a major WIP:blush ).

Here's the 2 I did (you might see ends as I didn't have time to weave them in):

Gryf1.jpg

Slyth1.jpg

[sorry a little blury didn't realize that until too late].

I forgot to buy yellow for Hufflepuff, so I need to go tonight.

I will do one Gryffandore, one Hufflepuff, then Ravenclaw and then Slytherian. 4 across and then change the layout on the next row, so Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherian, Gryffandore. Then start the next row with Ravenclaw. Maybe. I think it will look good.

Anyway, that's my idea.

Debbi

Here is the start of my scarf for my Harry Potter doll, doing it in hdc, not sure if I like it yet! Colours are not exactly what they should be, didnt want to buy big balls of wool and have them lying around never to be used again, so got the next best subsitute in 25g balls (baby wool).

harryscarf.jpgMight be a little too bulky doing it in hdc to drape round his neck, will test it next week when it's a little bigger and have stuffed and assembled the doll. Not sure if I have the spacing of the 2 colours right, what do you think?

Rox

My dh is British and one day my MIL sent an outfit for dd. I asked her what she called it and she said a pinafore or pinny and I said that is a jumper in Canada. It is a constant source of amusement for my dh and I to argue over "English". My son didn't have any problem with any of the Harry Potter books as he is "bilingual" (ie.: Candian english and British english).

Rachel

You could probably use this knitted book scarf pattern to look at as a guide for that scarf's stripe placement -

http://knittingwithlaura.blog-city.com/harry_potter_bookscarf_pattern.htm

Cheers for that, was actually using that as a guide anyway.

Do you do the same colour sequence for a doll scarf as you would do for an adult scarf?

I.E 9 rows burgandy, 2 rows gold, etc...

Rox

Do you do the same colour sequence for a doll scarf as you would do for an adult scarf? I.E 9 rows burgandy, 2 rows gold, etc...

Rox

Rox, I wonder if you could use a bookmark pattern. Isn't there one available? Then just use that. Unless that's too small. Maybe then use a sports weight yarn?

My Ravenclaw square without the black. The 'bronze' looks more brown in this pic, and it is a brown, but it looks more bronze in life (as happens a lot). I will add one round of black when I get the chance (it's easier to carry only 2 skiens to work on at lunch).

Rav1.jpg

I love it!! Even Crochetville is gearing up for the big book release!

At the moment, I'm working on Golden Snitch bokmarks using crochet thread in gold and white with like a greenish metalic thread through out for the wings. I have 5 done so far... well 4 because I've already managed to lose one!

I havn't added the tastles because I"m tryign to figure out what to do with that part. I at first was just goign to put house colored beads at the end. But now i'm thinking tastle with beads. Each house is represented in my group of friends so I will hand them out on the book release.

After I get through with those and the afghan I'm making, I might tackle the Molly Weasley Sweater! LOVE those sleeves!

I never thought about beads on the book mark tassle. You could even do a basic bookmark with house color beads if you don't have the thread with other colors. But the snitch bookmark is super cute and I have the thread to make it, just haven't.... but will. Can't wait to see yours.

edited to add

Just a thought, I was thinking of those HP books marks done a few pages back. And I said it would probably be okay to put HP in a book mark as it could stand for other things... upside down it would be dH... well I just realized 'deathly Hallows'... so that could work out anyway. Hmm, might be my next probject (with some house color beads on the tassle).

Rox, I wonder if you could use a bookmark pattern. Isn't there one available? Then just use that. Unless that's too small. Maybe then use a sports weight yarn?

Good idea, dont know what sport weight yarn is, but Iam using double knitting I think its the same as worsted weight.

Have assembled the doll and the width of the scarf is fine, but I still think using hdc will make it too stiff. The only way I will be able to tell is if I finish it and test it out.

Off now to find a bookmark pattern, will post some photo's on friday.

Rox

Good idea, dont know what sport weight yarn is, but Iam using double knitting I think its the same as worsted weight.

Off now to find a bookmark pattern, will post some photo's on friday.

Rox

Sports weight is thinner then worsted weight, but thicker then baby weight. Normally.

I'm going to post some pics on Friday, too, of my finished squares. I have almost all my Ravenclaw squares done (minus weaving in ends, I hate weaving in ends:no ... I'll do that Thursday night). And I have 2 Gryffandor squares done, 1 Slytherin, which I'm working on more of them now. I haven't done a Hufflepuff because I'm not sure if I like the Pale yellow, but it was that or bright yellow, I couldn't see a medium (using Red Heart Worsted Weight). But I'm sure it will be fine.

And I found out I bought WAY too much yarn. I bought 2 skiens in each color (except yellow as I didn't think of it because I bought it after all the others). And It takes less then half for the center color and a little more then half a skien for the second color. Oh well, I can make more HP items or use the yarn for something!

Debbi

Scrafs Info

First movie Hogwarts scarves have nineteen stripes: ten dark stripes and nine light ones, and they begin and end in a dark stripe. Each end has eleven bunches of fringe: six dark and five light, again with dark fringe on both edges.

The Prisoner of Azkaban Hogwarts scarves are really quite different from the old Sorcerer's Stone/Chamber of Secrets scarves. Instead of even-length stripes, they have a light-on-dark trapped bar design; instead of alternating tassels, they have short, dark fringe. The general consensus seems to be that there are 14 repetitions of the trapped bar stripe. Unknotted, Hermione's scarf reaches her knees, so the scarf is possibly as long as 85" and about 9" wide

There's one nice clear shot of a Hufflepuff scarf during the Hogsmeade visit, and it is indeed black stripes on a yellow field.

The PoA uniform colors seem to have darkened and mellowed a bit from the first films. No more scarlet for Gryffindor or bright blue for Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff's yellow is really quite buttery. Everything's moody this time around.

Huff.jpg

Hufflepuff square. The yellow is more yellow then that. It is a pale yellow. They all have the black boarder, so even though Hufflepuff is black and yellow house colors, it's not just unique to this one. I have 1 of these done and will make at least one more today (won't have a lot of time at lunch today). I'm hoping to get the ends weaved in and some sewn together so I can do a few rows and see how it's going to look. I am going to weave in ends before sewing them together because it's too hot (with no a/c that doesn't help, it broke:( ) and I won't want to have an afghan on me. So that will encourage me to weave in ends on my squares because I want to put them together now:yes ... :)

I saw that bag too and though it looked interesting. Would be great to see crocheted!

My afghan so far. The pieces aren't together and it's on a white blanket with fringe so it looks kind of weird, but you get an idea. I like it so far. I only have 2 more Ravenclaw done and so I didn't do those on here, so I only need 6 more to finish!:cheer 2 of the remainder house colors.

afg15a.jpg

Cheers for that, was actually using that as a guide anyway.

Do you do the same colour sequence for a doll scarf as you would do for an adult scarf?

I.E 9 rows burgandy, 2 rows gold, etc...

Rox

I was going to reply with the same thing Debbie already did but here are some links for reference if you need :hook The PoA page (2nd link) has a pic on it.

http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml

http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/azkaban/pattern.shtml

Archived