What is your go to thing(s) to make?

Do you have a go to item: a) when you need to make a gift :gift on short notice, b) that you just don't seem to grow tired of it, c) have an itch to make something and nothing else does the trick but the 'old' favorite?:hook

I was wondering about this cause I was a originally going to ask whether or not you guys had a favorite square/motif to make, but didn't want copyright issues to come up, when the thought occurred to me that I have a couple items that I just happen to make repeatedly :yarn under those above circumstances.

yes my favorite stash buster is the giant granny square blanket...i just start in the middle n keep going til the stash is gone or it fits my bed...(stash is never gone hehe)

this is the first thing i learned to make when i was little n my grandmother gave me some of her stash and an old g hook...i always go back to doing one when i'm at a loss with one of my current projects...

I've just started making gifts, as I finally feel like I'm good enough.

When I just need to be 'doing something' it's usually a blanket of some kind (I try and make several Project Linus blankies each year...). Often it's a waffle weave looking one that I got out of a book. It's a very easy pattern I have memorized so it keeps the hands busy and the mind mostly free.

For adult gifts it's a kitchen set(A hanging towel, wash clothes, pot holders, scrubbies--or any combination of them) or a hat/scarf combo.

For baby gifts it is the poncho set by Abigail Goss, although I usually change out the hat for something quicker.

For weddings it is the double stranded afghan. Depending on budget this might be useing homespun or it might use acrylic ww-whatever is cheap.

I have a short attention span though, so I am always making other stuff.

Most often, baby stuff. A. gifts) babies: outfit, or booties etc, weddings (depending) 4-strand afghan. B. (don't get tired of) kids stuff: doll clothes, toys...baby basinet/purse I've made several of. C. (keep my hands busy) actually, more of a tension breaker--dishcloths. The diagonal dishcloth is great for helping me to relax my hands before switching from thread to yarn, or vice versa...or if I'm tense...it keeps my fingers busy.

The most common thing you'll find me working on? Bookmarks or doilys, lately.

:P

:D

i am a hat maker.... luckily i found an awesome charity called the rad bad beanie project so i dont have a million of them. for gifts, usually a afghan of some sort, and if i just HAVE to make SOMETHING, i do dishcloths, its a good relaxant.....

• 2 weeks later...

Dishclothes. Love the feel of the cotton.

Baby blankets when I need a gift, just a simple solid granny square.

Simple hat with 2 strands of WW yarn and in double crochet. Sometimes a simple scarf to match. Love doing the hats for charity, takes my stash and easy and quick to make.

Doilies. I started with thread and so it's my first love.

My all time favorites are purses! There are soooo many simple easy ones to make and almost any little girl or woman loves them!

If it's for a guy, one of my standby's is a mini-pillow in the colors of his favorite football (sports) team.

I also love scarves and hats...

I also agree with another poster about the granny ghan. They are so quick and easy to make and even quicker if you use 3 strands at once and a larger hook!!!

Archived