Measuring hand

Somewhere here someone said to measure your hand from tip of thumb to tip of little finger. For the life of me:blush I can't remember what that was for, had hubby help me measure and he thinks I crazy:hook , especially I don't know what I am doing it for. Pleas help:( and thanks:D

Patty

Somewhere here someone said to measure your hand from tip of thumb to tip of little finger. For the life of me:blush I can't remember what that was for, had hubby help me measure and he thinks I crazy:hook , especially I don't know what I am doing it for. Pleas help:( and thanks:D

Patty

i think it had something to do with jimbo and his hooks as he asked us to measure our hands so he couldl carve the rest into it . hope that helps:hug:hug:hug

I would think it's for when you're crocheting and can't find your tape measure... That way you can get a rough idea of if you're "nearly there" or not. My wrist-to-tip-of-middle-finger is 7", and my tip-of-thumb-to-tip-of-little-finger is 8 and a half inches. And my thumb, from crease to tip, is 2 1/2". Very useful I'm sure. :D I've not used it ever though, because I can never remember it when I need it!

I use that all the time. My index finger is 1" from tip to first knuckle, and I use it to find guage all the time! I also know measurements for other parts of my hand.

oh yeah from wrist to elbow is 9". The same length as my foot, which is handy to know when I make slippers or socks.

also hubby taught me this one hold your thumb outstretched and fingers together and from flat part of paml to tip of thumb it will be 6 inches on almost all grown adults. :)

Did you also know that the length form your fingertips on your left hand to the fingertips on your right hand (when they are stretched out as far as possible) is supposed to be how tall you are?

I don't know if this is really useful. But its just a tidbit of information.

I would think it's for when you're crocheting and can't find your tape measure... That way you can get a rough idea of if you're "nearly there" or not. My wrist-to-tip-of-middle-finger is 7", and my tip-of-thumb-to-tip-of-little-finger is 8 and a half inches. And my thumb, from crease to tip, is 2 1/2". Very useful I'm sure. :D I've not used it ever though, because I can never remember it when I need it!

I use it when I want to estimate how far I am working on an afghan or how far along I am on a hat (baby). I know when working on a hat, that when it gets down to the end of my palm, it's long enough to be rolled up. To me, it's just easier than looking for a tape measure or ruler.

I know mine is 6 and a half inches, so when the hat is that long, it is just fine. I just put on the finishing edge and I am done.

Plus, my hand is always attached, so I don't lose it and the kids can't take it!:lol :lol :lol

That's why you need to know how long your hand is!

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's just something to know so that when the tape measure is missing, you can estimate how far you are along on projects.

I don't even know where I learned this but I use it all the time.

:manyheart

My mother taught me this years ago and I use it a lot. From the tips of my fingers, arm extended, to the tip of my nose is really close to a yard.

:lolmy mom taught me that too and I use it:lol

Did you also know that the length form your fingertips on your left hand to the fingertips on your right hand (when they are stretched out as far as possible) is supposed to be how tall you are?

I don't know if this is really useful. But its just a tidbit of information.

I use this all the time, then again I am just a hair taller than 5' so it's a handy measurement to use when judging the size of a room, desk, furniture, etc.

I've just found this thread. Useful info. Now, if I remember which measurement is which....

just a suggestion, why not write the measurements in perminant marker inside your crochet tote, so that its always there to jog the memory, or in your hook case.. i never loose either of them as they are always together with the WIP and noone nicks off with them :)

I always learn something when I visit here, but I think this is possibly the strangest information I've come across yet :lol

I would never have believed the one about my elbow and my foot but I just checked it and it's true :yes

Thanks for the useful tips!

Laura

I always learn something when I visit here, but I think this is possibly the strangest information I've come across yet :lol

I would never have believed the one about my elbow and my foot but I just checked it and it's true :yes

Thanks for the useful tips!

Laura

:D i too wouldve never believed the elbow - foot one! and then i tried it! this thread has been VERY entertaining!

Archived