my entirely out of control stash...

i wasn't sure where to post this, i was thinking probably "yarn talk" but i'm posting pictures not only for the fun of it, in fact i didn't even spread out all this yarn just to take pictures. i had this huge bin of cotton yarn because cotton yarn is my main addiction lol, and i have this habit of just buying random balls of it or a huge amount of a certain color in case i never see it again and i wanted to see exactly WHAT i had in this huge bin of forgotten cotton. and oh my gosh i can't believe it. :eek i need something to do with all this!!!!

DSCN1229.jpg

and here's the "rest" of my stash lol..

DSCN1227.jpg

a shelf that goes maybe 2-3 feet back... and it's FULL.

DSCN1228.jpg

a lion brand yarn storage thing, basically a hamper, with most of my acrylic worsted weights for amigurumis... and all my knitting needles in the front... i haven't touched them in quite a while lol.

needless to say... i need some stashbusting ideas for that cotton yarn. anyone else ever buy and buy and buy and one day finally LOOK at all you have just go :eek ?!

lol feel free to send some my way :P looks like fun! you need to just stand in front of what you have and look until something jumps up and says "make me into ....." then get to it. or else each new project you start you will want new yarn :) it's like scrapping around a photo as opposed to building a page and then finding a photo to fit. they both have their time and place, but sometimes you need to use what you have first. not always easy!!

I promised my DH I wouldn't buy anymore yarn for a while. I just splurged at the Amazon 69 cent sale and I have no idea where I am going to put it all.

But I do know what I am going to make with most of it! Your stash is impressive!

she who has the most stash wins

haha! but seriously i have more yarn than i know what to do with and i am mostly suckered in by mill ends bags and buy one get one clearances sales i see here locally and i stock up on stuff i have no purpose for... but it was buy one get one! i have no idea what i am really going to do and i have been in one of those ohmigod i have so much yarn moments my hubby made me pull it all out of my storage closet and organizing and write down in a binder everything i had and how much so i would be able to reference it for later... well when i pulled it all out my stash covered a full size bed from very top to very bottom with about 2-3 layers thick of balls. it took me 2 days just to write down and reorganize it all!

she who has the most stash wins

haha!

Ha, hee, snorkle, chuckle. :lol I rarely buy unless for specific projects...although Bernat Sox yarn got discontinued and I bought $100 worth through the mail....great deal it was too. All of that is earmarked for doll projects, so no biggie - but my stash of worsted got larger the past holiday season as I made several afghans as gifts. I was able to use some of the stash for a baby blanket, so not so bad, but I had begun a stash buster hexagon afghan and not yet finished it...the problem is some of the yarn I started with I ran out of and, of course, I was whipstitching it together as I went. Some of the yarn could have been 20 years old; doubtful I'll find a match for most of it, and I can't start to add in new colors now cuz the whole thing would wind up looking a bit "off", but I think just a few more carefully placed motifs to finish it off will be okay. That's what I get for not "planning" ahead. Even tho it should be "random", there's still a method to the placement of each color. I'll post it when I'm finished. Anyhow, you could do a motif project, or kitchen items (potholders, etc. for gifts) ...or make a list of projects you'd like to make each category yarn of your stash, and earnark them for those projects. How about some early get-going on gifts? Or, donate some to your local senior citizens club, church group or schools that have craft clubs, or girlscouts; those seniors would be very happy to get the stash; they are always making lovely items for fund-raisers. Not many, but a few of my daughter's friends knit/crochet. I know they'd love to get a free stash; perhaps you have some teens you could donate to? How about a yarn swap? Good luck. Donna

i am a bad bad bad bad bad girl, i not only don;t need more yarn i should get rid of some and what do i do, hit the yarn sale at amazon too got 72 skeins of yarn for 58.00 including shipping and taxes:devil:devil:devil:devil but i know what i am going to do with alot of it so is not just a major splurge,:devil:devil:devil oh alright it is feels soioooooooooooooooooooooooo good:manyheart:manyheart

Ummmmm I'll take alittle bit of everything you have, lol. Good lord you have alot. I do too, but it's kinda scattered thru out the house, looks better that way, lol. I did do alot of buying of cotton yarn. I turned most of it into face scrubbie, dish cloths and tea towels. I still have some left, but a butt load of dish cloths, lol.

I'm very new at this, just a couple of weeks and I would estimate that I have about 30 skeins on hand (most are for projects I have in mind, others were sent as a gift) and my husband is like "WHAT?!?!" I'm going to show him your pictures so he'll leave me alone! Have fun with all that!

i wasn't sure where to post this, i was thinking probably "yarn talk" but i'm posting pictures not only for the fun of it, in fact i didn't even spread out all this yarn just to take pictures. i had this huge bin of cotton yarn because cotton yarn is my main addiction lol, and i have this habit of just buying random balls of it or a huge amount of a certain color in case i never see it again and i wanted to see exactly WHAT i had in this huge bin of forgotten cotton. and oh my gosh i can't believe it. :eek i need something to do with all this!!!!

That's it?? I thought you said you had a lot. :P

I have about twice that much yarn in my room (mostly scrap yarn...I tend to over-buy) and then I have another 5 or 6 totes (the 60 gallon Rubbermaid totes) in the store room that I havent even looked at in two or three years.

I still buy new yarn, but lately I've been having a blast doing scrap afghans with the stash. I've actually made a pretty good dent in the scrap stash...and I'm starting a new scrap afghan today once I figure out the math on how to enlarge the pattern I'm using.

I just finished a giant granny square yesterday (not a rectangle) using just scrap yarn...I only used 3 colors, but it was still all scrap yarn, bought at different times.

Archived