Broomstick Lace...its so easy!!!!

I was at work one day...BEFORE I started to crochet, and one of my coworkers was wearing a shawl that I thought was beautiful. She told me her Grandmother made it for her mother many many years ago. The girl in the cubicle next to her told us it was "Broomstick Lace" crochet.

Well...I've since picked up crochet, and googled the broomstick lace...HOLY COW. If you are a beginner and want to make something beyond the simple scarf or Granny square...try this!!!

http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/broomstick_lace_jiffy_lace_.htm

I printed a tutorial and used a VERY old cigar container (I recently inherited this container full of hooks and needles from my Grandma) since I haven't got out to buy the appropriate needle.

I only did an 8 inch square, but it was fast and EASY once I figured out what I was doing. And its beautiful!!!!:manyheart:yay

Thanks for the link Shelly! I bought a size 50 knitting needle a year ago to try and do broomstick lace, but I couln't figure it out. I'm going to have to dig it out and give this another try!

Angie

Angie,

Not sure If I can help or not...since I'm self taught from online tutorials....I came across a few problems...maybe this will help.

You do your chain. Then you take your jiffy needle and put the last loop from your chain on the needle. THEN you take your hook, insert it into the chain closest to the last loop....yarn over and pull a new loop through and over the needle. Move on to the next chain and do the same, until you've crocheted chains onto the needle. THEN you slip...like 5 of those chains off the needle with your crochet hook...(Treat it like a space in a Granny square) and crochet 5 Single crochets onto that bunch of 5....then sc 5 more into the next bunch of 5. repeat until the end.

when you get all the way to the end of your "bunches" You hook your way back onto the needle across that chain of SCs.

hope that helps...I had so much fun.

Shelly... post a pic? :D please? I would love to try broomstick lace and would be great to see what you did as a first attempt

Shelly, you inspired me! today i have attempted broomstick lace and I am really pleased :)

I found the very first row extremely difficult. I think if I do it again I will sc in all the chains before working onto the rod. I am using the central post from my daughters toy clothesline :lol I have no idea how big a broomstick lace pin is, but this thing is about 4/5 of an inch thick. Using 8ply arcrylic (ww) and a 4.5mm hook. I did 20 chains, and that's made it about 3.5" wide so I guess I will kep going and end up with a scarf. For who I don't know, but a scarf sounds good :rofl Thanks for the inspiration!! Always good to learn something new.

Oh good--I'm so glad I'm not the only one interested in broomstick lace! :yay I just started getting into it a couple of weeks ago, and after doing an online search I was disappointed that not much seemed to be available about it. I was afraid it was becoming a dying art!

I've been experimenting with doing broomstick lace in novelty yarn. If anyone would like to see my results, there are pictures on my blog: www.crochetkitten.blogspot.com :hook

I would love to see what you guys have done in broomstick lace as well!

I just inherited a broomstick needle(?) from my mom along with a Coat's and Clark booklet from 1974 with directions for a cape, christening gown, shawl, baby blanket, afghan, and tote bag. :D I'm going to have to try this after I get another WIP done. I really like the looks of the swatch you did with the ribbon yarn. It is such a pretty color.

Oh good--I'm so glad I'm not the only one interested in broomstick lace! :yay I just started getting into it a couple of weeks ago, and after doing an online search I was disappointed that not much seemed to be available about it. I was afraid it was becoming a dying art!

I've been experimenting with doing broomstick lace in novelty yarn. If anyone would like to see my results, there are pictures on my blog: www.crochetkitten.blogspot.com :hook

I would love to see what you guys have done in broomstick lace as well!

to be honest, I like the ribbon yarn the best. but i see that it looks hefty. hope Sharon liked her gift.

I just inherited a broomstick needle(?) from my mom along with a Coat's and Clark booklet from 1974 with directions for a cape, christening gown, shawl, baby blanket, afghan, and tote bag. :D I'm going to have to try this after I get another WIP done. I really like the looks of the swatch you did with the ribbon yarn. It is such a pretty color.

you have a pattern for a christening gown? sounds interesting!! is it just the skirt which is done in broomstick lace or the entire gown?

I am really enjoying doing this. although i find making the loops tiresome, it works up so quickly and i love the look. i am finding that it is curling. is that normal?

I always look at it in books and it look so hard that I didn't even wanna try it.

But its really cool that I have testimonials now on how easy it is, I can't wait to get me that needle and try it!

I always look at it in books and it look so hard that I didn't even wanna try it.

But its really cool that I have testimonials now on how easy it is, I can't wait to get me that needle and try it!

find something at home and hop to it!! :lol i am honest to goodness using a hollow plastic tube from my daughters plastic clothesline! use a traditional broomstick, the handle on your hairbrush.. just find something thick, smooth and round :) i am a firm believer in not wasting money if there is no need. and this is one where there is no need at all

Well now you did it - - I'm going to sand down the handle of my broom as soon as I get home, I broke it a few months ago and who has time to sweep when they have yarn and a hook anyway!

Actually, I think I have one of those needles somewhere in my tools. I always thought it was an incomplete pair of HUGE k**tting needles!!!! LOL

WOW! Selena what nice work.

Carovan, thats just beautiful!

Its an example of what an elegant item that can be made with a chain and a sc.

I put a few links to the swatch I made with regular red heart just to try it out...I made a mistake the 3rd row up, I caught it by the end of the row, but since I was just practicing, i figured I'd keeping going for a little while.

The mauve yarn is Miracle Classic Elite...its 50% alpaca and 50% Tencel (Whats Tencel?) either way its very soft and gentle. Its perfect for broomstick lace. I actually had run a few rows of DC and figured I'd make a wrap by working the rest in broomstick and closing with the last 3 rows of DC...of course now I'm going to have to go back to the LYS for a few more hanks of $8.00 yarn...Oh Well. I deserve to play with $8.00 yarn.

http://www.members.aol.com/shellybrook/broomstick.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/shellybrook/broomstick1.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/shellybrook/broomstick2.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/shellybrook/broomstick3.jpg

I LOVE the look of Broomstick lace, it is the second crocheting stitch my teacher,after the granny square of course, Mrs. Felderman taught me at a ripe age of 10! I STILL have her broomstick she gave me, it is a REAL broom stick, and she sanded down the ends, one broomstick made two, one for her and one for me, mind you this was MANY moons ago, and it is a very sturdy REAL wooden broomstick, but it still works lovely peices, I ADORE it, and recomend anyone to learn this stitch, IF I could do it at TEN years old, you all can do it!! No need at all for a fancy "broomstick" tool, just use what you can get your hands on :hook

My boyfriend Ed's Aunt Eltha, who is in her late 80's, gave me all her knitting needles and crochet hooks when she developed macular degeneration and could no longer see well enough to do these crafts. Amongst these was a broomstick lace needle her late husband Emmett made her. I love the look of broomstick lace, but haven't done it in a while.

i remember when i was younger there were tencel jeans, and they were like denim only soooo soft. they were still heavy like denim though, not as thick. hard to describe. not sure if there is a better description that i can give, so I will link you to something :lol

seems this stuff is a league of its own http://www.lenzing.com/fibers/en/textiles/303.jsp i went to wikipedia but it diverted itself to a french page and i dunno french :D

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&pwst=1&defl=en&q=define:Tencel&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Archived