Where's the start of the yarn?

carovan

Question

Does anybody have a trick for finding the start of the Bernat Softee Baby yarn? Most of the time I have to pull out that center plug just to find it which leaves a mess. I haven't had any problem with any of the other yarns like RH and Caron SS. Since I make a lot of baby items for charity, I use this yarn a lot. :)

16 answers to this question

how do you wind yarn into a center pul ball?

the way i do it is to start the ball loosely, but about 6-7 inches from the end and wind as usual.its very important that you start loosely, or it will tangle up. there are tutorials

this is a good one: http://goddess1.typepad.com/i_hide_yarn/files/how_to_wind_a_center_pull_balll.pdf

here's one too- i don't do the figure 8's though- http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/instructionalArticle.asp?iaid=18

there are more- i did a search on google - http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=how+to+wind+yarn+into+a+center+pull+ball

You guys are cracking me up!  I can find the center pull on regular Bernat, but not on the Bernat Satin.  One thing I have found is that if I pull the center out, then turn it inside out, I can wind a ball from the center plug until I find the center pull.  How's THAT for confusion?  hahaha

I do like to rewind yarn so it is tidy with a centre pull as well.

In order to find the centre when the skein is not cooperating, try inserting a finger from both ends and twiddle around until the end makes itself felt. This does work... no really... honestly :eek:hook:wlol

Ok, Darski-- I tried this method several times (my DH was giving me strange looks:lol) and I still couldn't find the start. Must be a defect in my finding genes.:D Guess I'll keep trying. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did look on the right side of the skien, didn't find it, and got a little confused there when the other end came out of that side. I always thought the start was at the opposite end.

This may be one reason I mainly work with thread... :lol

Last year my sister send me a one pound skein of yarn to make a hooded blanket [to send to a niece]. I could not find that center to save my life. I ended up crocheting it with the outside thread, and let me tell you, it made my life a living h*e* double hockey sticks. [Crochet a couple stitches, PULL, crochet a couple stitches, PULL.... argggghhhh. And I had it in a huge bowl, too. Didn't help at all.]

Yeah, just one more thing we put up with for the love of our craft. :lol :lol :lol

:devil

If I can't find the center yarn or if it is not a center pull skein, I do one of 2 things:

If it is a large skein (like RHSS, pounders etc) I take off the label, stick one end in a plastic Folgers coffee can, and work from around the outside.

If it is a smaller skein (like holiday yarn or like Bernat Camo) I have a "yarn winder/unwinder" thing my hubby made me, kinda looks like a "yarn rotisserie" LOL

If it is a small skein (like the fun fur or eyelash size) or a ball, it goes into my trusty plastic Folgers can and I just let it unroll as needed.

Tina

Wow! The things I learn on this site is just amazing...a center pull ball of yarn? I can't WAIT to try this! I am using Bernat Baby yarn right now to make a star baby afghan and have had no problem with the center pull. I always have to pull the other end out first but then the center pull is at the opposite end. I love Bernat yarn and use it quite often! :c9

In order to find the centre when the skein is not cooperating, try inserting a finger from both ends and twiddle around until the end makes itself felt. This does work... no really... honestly :eek:hook:wlol

thanks for the chuckle, i was going to write something similar, but couldnt bring myself to say it!!!!!!!:blush:clap

I do like to rewind yarn so it is tidy with a centre pull as well.

I've had this problem with the Bernat Satin. It's so frustrating, but once in a while I'll get one that I can find the center string and it comes out perfectly.

Good Luck

:hookNettie

I know, every once in a while I'll find the center start too which makes me think there something wrong with me that I can't find it every time.

It's not center pull - I've rewound the few balls of it I've bought into to center pulls balls before I've used it.

I'm making (theoretically, lol) a pair of socks out of it, and I got so frustrated with it not being center pull that I frogged a day's worth of work and rewound the whole skein into a center pull. Took forever, but it was worth it.

And if they *are* center pull, I've not been able to find the end in any of the three skeins I've used, either.

Archived