So my love affair with thread has begun

AlyBlu

I have bought a bunch of fun colors from JoAnn's and I have a few books and patterns.

Do you all have any recommendations on books/patterns?

And is there a brand of thread that you like better and why?

I never thought I would be this fascinated with thread!

It's addicting, huh. I have not yet really delved into it whole-heartedly. But I want to, I just haven't come across a good variety of thread. It's time to order some because I just received my first shipment of the Collectible Doily Series from House of White Birches. http://www.whitebirches.com/products/display.html?prod_id=64&cat_id=47

I think of alot of the gals like to use that DMC thread...

My favorite. I love doilies. I have been using Oren Bayan, Altin Basak there turkish threads and come in lots of colors. The thread feels so nice, its my thread of choice. The completed doily feels silkly and dainty using this thread.

I ordered some from this Ebay seller http://stores.ebay.com/DEMIS-AND-JULIES-CROCHET-HEAVEN_crochet-threads_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6QQftidZ2QQtZkm

She is wonderful and quick shipping too. Cebelia is my next choice. Also a nice thread to work with. Ah the fascination of thread crochet! Have fun....

I have bought a bunch of fun colors from JoAnn's and I have a few books and patterns.

Do you all have any recommendations on books/patterns?

And is there a brand of thread that you like better and why?

I never thought I would be this fascinated with thread!

I suppose we should have warned you thread could be addictive.

Personally I like the DMC threads for quality. I also like the Opera threads. As for patterns and books that all depends on your tastes. Choose what pleases you.

But welcome to the world of thread........................:hook

I agree...thread is addictive! I personally like the vintage threads myself...I've been fortunate enough to find large bags of it at thrift stores and there's usually a good quality in the bags. I've found DMC--which is verrrrry niiiiice--and older Coats & Clark balls are wonderful, especially the boilfasts. Aunt Lydia's is okay, but it has a tendency to twist up on you, especially the mercerized. I've discovered that the Coats, et al. threads don't twist up as much. I haven't seen this kind at JoAnn's or Michael's, but Hobby Lobby has the Coats thread, and it's not mercerized as far as I could read on the label. I'm making a tablecloth for my mother for Christmas, and the Coats Traditional is very soft and nice to work with.

It's addicting, huh. I have not yet really delved into it whole-heartedly. But I want to, I just haven't come across a good variety of thread. It's time to order some because I just received my first shipment of the Collectible Doily Series from House of White Birches. http://www.whitebirches.com/products/display.html?prod_id=64&cat_id=47

I think of alot of the gals like to use that DMC thread...

I have ordered it (about a week ago) so now I am just awaiting it. I am excited!

My favorite. I love doilies. I have been using Oren Bayan, Altin Basak there turkish threads and come in lots of colors. The thread feels so nice, its my thread of choice. The completed doily feels silkly and dainty using this thread.

I ordered some from this Ebay seller http://stores.ebay.com/DEMIS-AND-JULIES-CROCHET-HEAVEN_crochet-threads_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6QQftidZ2QQtZkm

She is wonderful and quick shipping too. Cebelia is my next choice. Also a nice thread to work with. Ah the fascination of thread crochet! Have fun....

Oooo these threads sound yummy!!!

I suppose we should have warned you thread could be addictive.

Personally I like the DMC threads for quality. I also like the Opera threads. As for patterns and books that all depends on your tastes. Choose what pleases you.

But welcome to the world of thread........................:hook

Yes you should have warned me:yes This is gonna be one of THOSE things for me!:D

As for books - I have been searching, but supply around here is not so good - so I was hoping for input on ones you all have enjoyed. That way if I have to do something like an amazon shipment, I have a bit of an idea what I am in for.

I agree...thread is addictive! I personally like the vintage threads myself...I've been fortunate enough to find large bags of it at thrift stores and there's usually a good quality in the bags. I've found DMC--which is verrrrry niiiiice--and older Coats & Clark balls are wonderful, especially the boilfasts. Aunt Lydia's is okay, but it has a tendency to twist up on you, especially the mercerized. I've discovered that the Coats, et al. threads don't twist up as much. I haven't seen this kind at JoAnn's or Michael's, but Hobby Lobby has the Coats thread, and it's not mercerized as far as I could read on the label. I'm making a tablecloth for my mother for Christmas, and the Coats Traditional is very soft and nice to work with.
I will have to check out the thrift shops!

Welcome to the art of thread. I am a threadie, (over 40 years, momma taught me at age 9 to crochet with thread and I still love it), and I think of it as an art. You can make so many different beautiful masterpieces with thread. I like making angels, ornaments, doilies, flowers, boxes, baskets, everything with thread. Right now I am making crinoline girl doilies designed by Cylinda at Crochet Memories.com. She is a wonderful designer and has many beautiful items to make, including doilies. I have many of her patterns and all of her crinoline girls.

My other favorite place to get patterns is: http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/

These are old patterns mainly done with 30 or smaller thread but I do them in size 10 and they come out beautifully.

My favorite thread is DMC Cebelia with Aunt Lydia's for the colors I can't get in Cebelia. I think they are both fine threads, easy to work with, and I use them together in some projects.

I think the wonderful thing about thread is that you can let your imagination go and make extraordinary masterpieces in exciting colors. There are also so many different ways to display your finished artwork. I make shadowboxes with some of my pieces and they are beautiful.

I wish you great enjoyment with the art of thread.

Here is my online photo album if you would like to see some of my works of art: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2114523148

I love working with thread!! I started thread crochet bout 2 years ago. I prefer Royale thread. I think it's soft and smoother to work with. I bought one of those huge balls of Aunt Lydias one time...thought it was a great deal...but when I sarted working with it it had been spliced together in several areas....I wasn't very happy with it...happy hooking!:hook

in my "younger years" when i used to do craft shows i wanted to come up with something new...so i used regular patterns but size 10 crochet thread with a 7 steel hook...i even used up a stash of perle cotton that i had inherited from my aunt...then i tried using embroidery floss...the only problem with that was my daughter claimed most of those miniatures for her doll house....now, thanks to crochetville and its extremely talented members i have renewed my interest in thread crochet....

in my "younger years" when i used to do craft shows i wanted to come up with something new...so i used regular patterns but size 10 crochet thread with a 7 steel hook...

Ah another thready in the works. I use mostly DMC, because of the brilliant colors and the quality. I have also use America's Best the I get from here.

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/42P-store.htm

This is the same place I purchase my peaches and cream cotton yarn.

I also like grand05ma take yarn patterns and use size 10 thread and size 7 hook. They come out about half the size and it is something you have seen completed, so it helps when you are learning. I love minitures and this is a way to get them. I have even made minature flowers with thread from yarn patterns.

Yes you should have warned me:yes This is gonna be one of THOSE things for me!:D

As for books - I have been searching, but supply around here is not so good - so I was hoping for input on ones you all have enjoyed. That way if I have to do something like an amazon shipment, I have a bit of an idea what I am in for.

You know I started thread because I didn't want this art to die out. There are soooooo many great free patterns out there. I don't use books.

Here's a couple:

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html

http://www.freepatterns.com/

You're probably already aware of them but I love the patterns from the 30's, 40's etc.

I have bought a bunch of fun colors from JoAnn's and I have a few books and patterns.Do you all have any recommendations on books/patterns? And is there a brand of thread that you like better and why?I never thought I would be this fascinated with thread!

I didn't either now I am an addict :hook I love crocheting doilies. One of my favorite designers is Patricia Kristofferesen. Some of her books are out of print but I have found them on ebay w/o too much trouble and at reasonable prices. I think my favorite one of hers is Coffee & Cream. I like Mary Werst designs too, I have her Extra Special Doilies. I did just order Katy/Katchkan's book Old-fashioned Doilies and Ferosah's Learn to Croc-Tat book.

I have a huge pile of old Magic Crochet Magazines that I like as well. I like these a lot because the patterns are all in symbol crochet which helps lots. I've managed to snag these at thrift stores and once off of freecyle.

Last summer, I also purchased Crocheted Lace Though Pictures. It has lots of Irish lace and Brugges lace patterns. It is out of print but I was able to find it on amazon for an affordable price. This book uses symbol crochet as well.

All I know is I better live 'til I'm 150 at least 'cause I'm a yarnie too. I have so many WIMS my head hurts sometimes.

Have fun shopping !

I didn't either now I am an addict :hook I love crocheting doilies. One of my favorite designers is Patricia Kristofferesen. Some of her books are out of print but I have found them on ebay w/o too much trouble and at reasonable prices. I think my favorite one of hers is Coffee & Cream. I like Mary Werst designs too, I have her Extra Special Doilies. I did just order Katy/Katchkan's book Old-fashioned Doilies and Ferosah's Learn to Croc-Tat book.

I have a huge pile of old Magic Crochet Magazines that I like as well. I like these a lot because the patterns are all in symbol crochet which helps lots. I've managed to snag these at thrift stores and once off of freecyle.

Last summer, I also purchased Crocheted Lace Though Pictures. It has lots of Irish lace and Brugges lace patterns. It is out of print but I was able to find it on amazon for an affordable price. This book uses symbol crochet as well.

All I know is I better live 'til I'm 150 at least 'cause I'm a yarnie too. I have so many WIMS my head hurts sometimes.

Have fun shopping !

What is freecycle?

What is freecycle?

It's like a virtual thrift store but free. You give things away for free and get things for free. Go here to read more about it and find a group near you.

can someone discusss the difference between mercerized thread and unmercerised? I have read about how they differ in production but I would like to hear from people about using them. What are the advantages and cautions about using them for doilies, for shawls, etc.

When you say a thread is twisty does that refer to how it looks or how it acts when you work with it. If the latter, is this a qualitative difference or just an annoyance?

questions, questions, questions.

But there is such an advantage in asking people who have a lot of ecperience.

ao thanks in advance.

can someone discusss the difference between mercerized thread and unmercerised? What are the advantages and cautions about using them for doilies, for shawls, etc.

Look as some fairly high quality mercerized cotton yarn like Sinfonia and compare that to sugars and cream and you can see the difference. Not that Sugars and Cream does not have it uses! Mercerize offers luster and also prevents linting and Since doilies focus on stitch definition you really want mercerized

When you say a thread is twisty does that refer to how it looks or how it acts when you work with it. If the latter, is this a qualitative difference or just an annoyance?
Most twisting is due to how the thread comes off the ball as you crochet and you are accidentally adding twist to the thread. This happens to me sometimes as I have yet to set myself up with a thread spool of some sort which would eliminate this problem.

I love using DMC, also like the Traditions. As to books, I love the Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet, and Patricia Kristofferesen's books.

It is very addicitive but fun. and it makes great gifts. I love to make tableclothes, check out my pictures.....

Archived