Tetris inspired afghan CAL

thegothicl

It all started with this thread. I am starting this and it will be my first. If anyone has advice let me know.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45625

There is a picture there, that I took and enlarged to make a graph. It is 10 across and 20 down. Someone else posted a graph they made that is smaller. I wanted a more solid look than a regular granny sguare. Someone posted this http://pumamouse.com/crochetbasicgrannys.html it has a more solid look that I think will look better. I am sorry, I would post all of the pictures and stuff here, but I am still learning.

As for colors, I am going to use the original colors. I am going to take a look at Caron's brights.

I hope you will join me in this, I think it will be fun!!!

If you play Tetris use your best game as a graph!!!!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea! I can't start this right now, but I will definitely be making one of these after I'm through with some of the other stuff I have going.

I'm in. I'm going to graph my own later this week. This will be perfect, I needed a fun manly afghan for my 18 year old stepson for Xmas this year. Don't know if he actually plays Tetris, but he is a big gamer!

This a really cool idea! I may join in on this one. I just need to finish off a few projects but this could be a real stash buster for me.

Oh Wow! My MIL is addicted to tetris & has been hinting about my getting one of my ghans. This would be perfect for her. I love it. I will go get the yarn tonight. :cheer

One Question~How big is everyone making there squares? :think

I'm joining. I think this is so cute.

I posted a graph I made in the original post, but someone pointed out that a solid line would go down and so I changed it so there is a black square on each line, at least one if not more.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/Debbi-a1/tetrisafghan2.jpg

I'm going to do 4 inch squares and a solid granny. This will require 216 squares total for a 48x74 afghan (minus maybe a single crochet edging if I do that, which I might just to "finish" it). It will be 12 squares across and 18 squares down. That includes black squares around for a boarder look. So 10 across in the center for all the color.

I'm going to see what I have in my stash and then buy what I don't have. It won't take much yarn. With my quilt afghan I could about a 4 inch square and have about 48 squares for one skein of yarn. So I know I won't need much yarn for each color. I figured out how many squares for each color, so I have that now too.

Debbi

If you play Tetris use your best game as a graph!!!!

LOL :D Mine would be all black. I think that's why I missed up on the original graph I made. I forgot that a complete line would go down as I don't hardly get beyond 4 lines. Well Once I got pretty high as my fingers were getting tired (I was playing the marathon version).

10x20 squares sounds like a great size. Caron's Brights would be nice. I'm just going to use RH WW. I like that yarn and they have nice colors. A few will be brighter then others but that's fine too.

I can't wait to see what people start doing.

If you need help with the pieces colors or anything else, check out the free online encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris

Debbi

Hi, I think this CAL is so fun to do. :devil

Unfortunately, I have other projects that I need to finish up first. :eek

I subscribe to this thread so I will not forget. Hehe. :lol

I might do afghan stitch, sc or dc squares instead. I might go with Carson Brights. I really like the second graph idea. ;)

I will be back when I feel ready to do this CAL... Keep up the great job! :cheer

How big do you want your afghan? I was just using 4 inch because of the size afghan I wanted.

Same here why I'm using the 4 inch. With 12 across, for me, at 4 inches that's 48 inches and with 18 squares in length, it's 74 inches long. That's big enough for me.

Maybe graph out your Tetris afghan and see how many square you need. Or if you want to do 6 inches, you could do about 9 squares across for a 50 inch wide afghan. And for 80 inches long, you would have about 14 squares.

Since there's really not a pattern, you can pretty much design it how you want. Most like 10 color squares for the game going across, width wise. But it's up to you how many you want to use.

Debbi

47"x60" is what I am going to do. It has been a while since I've done a pieced afghan so I couldn't see it in my head. I just took a piece of paper and cut out one 4" and one 6" square. The four inch looks much better so that's what I'll go with.

Archived