Tetris inspired afghan CAL

thegothicl

Good Morning Everyone! :D

I'm hoping to start my ghan today. I just have to figure out what square pattern i'm going to use. :think I like the solid granny but I only see it in a 6" pattern. I guess I could just stop when it gets to 4" *DOH*. Why didn't I think of that? :lol :lol :lol

Have a good one! :hook:yarn

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Morning Everyone! :D

I'm hoping to start my ghan today. I just have to figure out what square pattern i'm going to use. :think I like the solid granny but I only see it in a 6" pattern. I guess I could just stop when it gets to 4" *DOH*. Why didn't I think of that? :lol :lol :lol

Have a good one! :hook:yarn

Hope it's okay that I have already started, no start date was given but I counldn't wait already have eighteen squares.:hook :hook

Everyone has their own gauge but here is what worked for me. I too am doing the solid granny and found that working three rounds with an I hook came out to 4 inches.

Are you guys going to so the last rounds in a black sc? I LOVE Tetris but I just hate sewing sq's. I can't wait to see how awesome they all come out!!!

Sewing squares is not my favorite thing to do either which is why I don't do pieced afghan very often. Piecing as you go is something I haven't gotten the hang of so I will be sewing them.

Debbi-a1, I'm not sure if anyone's pointed it out to you, but in your graph, you have your shape colors mixed up. On the bottom row, you have two colors for the same piece L-piece (orange and purple), and near the top you have two purple Ls that face different ways.

You also mixed up the colors for the zig-zag shapes. On the right-hand column, the green zig-zag and the red zig-zag actually face the same way (although one is turned), and you have them as different colors. It's the same on the bottom rows (red and green).

It's fine if you don't mind, of course, but I hope I didn't ruin anything for you!

I am not looking forward to making this graph, haha!

Hmmm... I'm not sure I need a Tetris afghan, but the tote bag is a great idea. :clap I always loved the game. I can remember hours spent turning those little shapes to get them to line up just perfectly.

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

See pictures of Tetris blocks here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris the free encyclopedia. it has 2 colors, the same I choose for my graph, of the Z. I changed one L to be a purple because I didn't want 2 blues. And I changed the puple T to a pink. So mine's pretty close to these.

I'm not too worried about the rest. I decided that it looks good and works for me. I don't want to spend a lot of time designing it anyway. HOWEVER anyone can change it if they want to use the chart. I'm fine with that.

Here's a tip for joining squares: Leave a long length, more then 2 times the length of the joining (so 2 sides in most cases) and you can use that to weave in the ends and join the squares.

I did one square this morning and mine is 4 1/2 inches so I may just leave that since I like the hook size I'm using (a G and 4 rounds).

Debbi

PS: New view of my new Tetris chart (except the new sizing of the 4 1/2 inch squares)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/Debbi-a1/tetrisafghan2.jpg

My squares came out to be about 4 1/2" also with an H hook. I did 3 squares so i'm not sure if i'll worry to much about changing hooks. I'll have to think about it. :think I tried to stay with the original colors as close as I could. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the orange, it's the only one I don't have yet. I did buy persimmon but it looks to pumpkin spicey to me. I'm hoping Walmart will restock the orange so I can get some before too long. :D

Have fun! :hook:yarn

Luckily I have almost a skien of orange from Halloween projects (mini pumpkins). I need to look and see if I have a green and red and maybe a blue in my stash as I have some blue I like but not sure if it's enough. I have the rest. Except one more black skien. So this will be nice to bust some of my stash! lol.

Debbi

What an awesome idea!!! I read through everyone's posts and got myself all excited, but I'm not sure if I can start on something like this right away. I might have to make time, LOL. I love this concept, you guys are so creative!!!

Since It seems " TheGothicL" aka Linda vannished from the site.. and since she is a friend of mine I will continue hosting with this CAL if you lady's have any questions about this cal and i dont know how to answer ill email her and get her opinion.. that way we still have her onboard sort of :)

EDITED BY ADMIN: TheGothicL asked to have her membership removed, so her status is now "Emigrated from the Village." If you have questions or concerns, please contact AmyS via PM instead of discussing them in this thread.

Thanks Tami! :manyheart I was starting to wonder what was going on. I'm glad someone decided to keep this CAL up because i'm excited about making it. I did manage to get 3 squares done but hope to go full speed ahead soon. :D

I still only have eighteen black squares done. I am trying to finish up a sweater which should be done twomorrow so hopefully I can get moving on the afghan. I did get my graph drawn up, it took some time to get something I liked but it was fun.:) :)

I was thinking since I have enough yarn I'm going to do one row at a time. This will keep me interested. I think that's why I lost interest with my Trip Around The World Quilt afghan. I had to crochet and sew together 20+ of the same color squares and I got tired of it (of course it's still on my to do list and maybe in the fall I'll finish it). This way I can do one row at a time. I've done about 5 crocheted and 3 sewn together of the first row. And that was this weekend, so I'm going along (with other things [charity blitz stuff and my stole I want to do] that was a lot, trust me). I hope to get more done.

Debbi

PS: I'm glad this CAL is still going on!

I would like to do what julie kay does with her cals and have picture friday that way you ladies have ALL week to work on the project and post the photo of what you have accomplished on friday I really like this idea ... let me know what you gals think..

i'm trying to have a more oganized hand on things so if you ladies can please

pm me with your starting date and the colors in which you plan on using thanks

oh yah and please inform me if i am missing anyone!

Debbi (Debbi-a1) - is using 41/2 inch squares with a G Hook and a graph using standard colors!

Jstwannacrochet-

Robin (Rsisland ) - is using a graph in the colors ( black,dark green, purple, orange, tan, yellow,

red, med. blue, dark blue. ) with a J Hook

SheriB626 -

Tabby ( Queen of Crochet) - Origional game Graph ( Pumpkin, Amethyst, Aqua, Bright Yellow, Delft Blue, Spring Green, Hot Red, & Black.)

Tami (tamiCrochets) - Hasn't Decided Yet!

ZeroPixie- I hook in solid granny (Blue, Orange, Red, Yellow, Purple, Green, Pink/Violet, Black)

I'm just doing mine like a graph...not using squares. I'm using redheart, sc, and J hook. I'm using black (of course), dark green, purple, orange, tan, yellow, red, med. blue, dark blue. I basically went with the original colors and then made any changes based on what was in my stash. I'm not going for totally authentic, just the idea. After it is all done, I will use black to backstitch between each tetris "block" to give it definition. It should be big enough for a twin bed after I add a border.

that sounds really cool Robin How would you go about using the "Graph" I've never tried that in all my years of crocheting I've never been "Brave enough" I wish you the best of luck with that your idea sounds awesome!

that sounds really cool Robin How would you go about using the "Graph" I've never tried that in all my years of crocheting I've never been "Brave enough" I wish you the best of luck with that your idea sounds awesome!

I graphed my design on graph paper (probably like most everyone else) and was planning on doing 2 inch squares. When I made the first square, it was too "holey" for me, so I decided to just sc the whole thing row by row. For each colored square on the graph, I made it 5 sc wide and 5 sc rows tall. For me, this came out to a square that is 1.75 inches. I am just crocheting back and forth with each line on the graph counting as 5 sc rows. It will be a little smaller than I wanted, so I will put a border around it. Not sure how many rows yet, but I will be bringing some of the colors to the border with black being the final row.

Clear as mud? It is the same basic idea that we used in the Xmas tree and heart graph-a-long earlier. :)

Archived