I found it at Walmart!

I've been searching for a particular yarn from a pattern my DD wants made. I've been to the good yarn store and my big craft stores. No one had it. I was ready to figure out a substitute when I found it today-at WALMART! Only to be told by the cashier that they will be doing away with most of the yarn isle! :thumbdown

Appearantly we're special over here. I've noticed since you guys have been talking about it, that the craft/yarn section at my walmart has not changed. So I asked some one there and they said that at the moment there are no plans to downsize the craft section here at this walmart. :cheer I'm one of the lucky ones I guess.

i too found some yarn at walmart (bernat softee chunky) that michaels did not have. then when i stopped at joanns after my trip to walmart they told me walmart was doing away with all the craft stuff which is a real bummer, not only can you find different stuff there but they are about a dollar cheaper then michaels and acmoore and a little more the a dollar cheaper than joanns...boohoo

They just built a brand new Wal-Mart near me and it opened a few weeks ago. I went over there and checked out their crafts department. Well, they have no fabrics whatsoever, and the yarn department is a small section of one aisle. I'd say it's maybe 15 feet long. They have Red Heart, Caron SS, and some baby yarn and that's about it.

The new Walmart right by my house has a bad craft department - no fabrice and just one side of an aisle of yarn and stuff. The older Walmart that I really like still has the great craft dept., however, I have noticed that it looks smaller. Going to have to ask them next time I go. I know that they never have the clearance yarn deals that I hear some of you getting. Their idea of clearance is $3 a skein. I did get some kind of fun fur type yarn (but it was not the name Fun Fur) before xmas for $1.80 a skein which I thought was great and it was really soft when worked up. That was the best "deal" I ever saw at my Walmarts.

red heart kooky was the first yarn i ever bought :D

That's a real shame that wal mart is downsizing all the craft sections.... I know my local wal mart is removing the fabric entirely, no word on the yarn yet though. There's a really good selection though and it carries my favorite brands and sufficient hooks for whatever I need to do :) if they close it i will freak out though.

Congrats on finding the yarn you wanted. :cheer

The Walmart near me has been having a lot of sales on their yarn lately. I asked one of the ladies if they're planning on closing up the crafting section but she said it was a false rumour. Maybe she was just trying to keep my hopes up so I won't go to the Micheal's in St. Catherine's.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

WM seems to be in the process of eliminating their fabrics and crafts sections at all stores eventually. Go to http://sewing.about.com/b/a/256500.htm to see a link you can write to or a phone number to call. (I wrote yesterday.) Our local WM drastically reduced its crafts/fabric section during a remodeling last fall. It wasn't a great selection to start with but now I must travel about an hour to get much choice in these things at all. The people working that department have nothing to do with it, of course. This is a corporate decision. What "corporate" doesn't realize is that I've spent thousands in that department over the years, and I know many others who have, too. What a shame.

I haven't talked to anyone at the Walmart that I go to, but I have noticed that their yarn selection isn't what it used to be. It isn't worth the drive for me to go there for yarn anymore. Most of the time I go to Michael's and whatever colors they don't carry that I need (which are only a few) I'll just order online.

Aimee

All walmarts in my area are doing away with their fabric sections by May-June. They just opened a new one and it has no fabric and only about a 10 foot section of yarn, mostly novelty yarns. :angry I asked the stores (all 3 of them) why and they said they're going to remodel and expand the party goods! Any way, they will be losing most of my business as that's why I went there- for fabrics and yarn! If I have to drive 25 miles to get those, then I'm sure I can find another place between home and the AC Moore's/Michael's/ Jo-Anne's to spend my money for the other items I bought at Wal-mart!

My local stitch group has been up in arms about Walmart shrinking or doing away with the craft section. Then we heard - from a Walmart Manager - that most stores are re-designing the craft section and only removing or downsizing the fabric selection. A new Walmart just opened here a couple weeks ago and their craft section is large but not very well stocked. Our existing Walmart hasn't changed at all.

Hopefully most of the stores will keep the craft section. I hate going into Walmart b/c the one close to me never has enough registers open and I can't get out of there is less than 45 minutes. But the yarn prices are so good that I keep going. My dh refuses to go in there.

Well, gang, I still haven't finished the leggies! I have had trouble with the Kooky, No matter what I try (hook sizes, starting over) the slubs all end up at the same spot as a large bump or heavy stripe instead of sprinkled through out the fabric. I know DD won't like that. So I'll use it for something else and get some other bulky yarn for the leggies. It just doesn't look like the picture on the pattern!

:rant I was told (here in Southern Illinois) that they are getting rid of all their craft sections as they turn each store into the god-awful "Super Center". :bang I've got 3 WalMarts near me (w/in 10 miles) and every single one of them is being turned into a Super Center! One has been for about 2 years, another will be finished this summer, and the other the next year. How many do Super Centers do you need in a 10 mile radius?? Especially if there's no CRAFT section?! :tryme Now I have to drive 15 - 20 miles just to buy yarn! :rolleyes

Here's what I heard from my local Walmart (because it is a really great place to get Soft and Chuncky) - they're not getting rid of the craft section entirely but *will* be getting rid of the fabric and ribbon that needs to be cut as well as the paint mixing area and fish stuff because they don't want to anything that has to be manned. So it sounds like the other stuff might stick around.

Just another reason that I have trouble shopping there but...Ben & Jerry's for less than three bucks and Soft & Chunky for $1.67...that's hard to pass up!

Archived