Price of a skein of yarn

Ok, I just had to share this with you guys. I was talking to my husband about crocheting and he asked me how much a skein cost...was it $20-$30/per skein? Uh...no. Could you imagine if the average price of yarn really did go up that high? lol. I'd be in serious trouble...considering I buy Caron's Simply Soft, the actual price is more like a tenth of what he thought it was! But to be fair to my husband, I usually go yarn shopping alone, so he doesn't know what it costs. The only thing he's aware of is how much I have. lol.

Aimee

i also have seen them high priced, at on shop here in tacoma, i saw this hank of (umm if you want to call it yarn you can but it wasn't very nice) was several strands of yarns and threads together(like we all couldn't do that) and it was going for the whopping price of 59.00 for 50 grams:eek:eek:eek:eek:2eek:2eek:scared:scared:faint:faint:reyes:reyes

maybe I'm not a good wife, but if my hubby thought yarn was that expensive I would take total advantage, :lol However, my hubby's mom works for AC Moore, and she and my sil are both crafters, so i have a crafter raised hubby, and he knows general price ranges.

I've spent pleanty on some NICE yarn and didn't buy other yarns because my bank acount fainted when I looked at the price. I only use LYS quality stuff (I equate it to using gourmet ingredients in cooking) for really special things. Other than that, I use higer end 'grocery store' yarns. I love to go to the LYS and pet everything. I usually buy a skein or two for the privelage, so I don't go too often. Besides, it's a bit out of the way.

But when you think about it, even using Caron SS at what, aprox $3 a skein, an afghan can easilly cost ya $30 in materials if you're making a nice big one (especially when you have a 6'7" husband...)

:devil oh I would have told him, ":yes , that's exactly what they cost per skein" and then ask him for money to go buy a skein :yarn , and you'd be able to buy 10! :yay

See, now I was going to say that she should have told him that yes, that was the price, and she was going to need three skeins to complete the next project, and then she could have gone out and gotten $60-$90 worth of yarn, but I thought "no, that's too evil :devil , nobody would say that but me!" :lol I'm SO happy :c9 that I'm not the only devious one here when it comes to ways to get :yarn :yarn ! :haha

Elle

Oh the poor thing...I would have taken total advantage of that!

My hubby knows on average how much it costs, he's come with me shopping before.

Mind you, I've just spent $12 a skein on 7 skeins of yarn, and poor hubby just about fell over backwards. I'm making a wrap, and that's just how much it was. I decided to splurge out on it.

When I make an afghan though, I make it roughly queen size bed size, and use about 30-30 skeins of yarn, which can cost me anywhere up to $100 or more....DH doesn't understand why I would spend so much time and so much money when I could just buy a blanket so much cheaper!

My husband knows the approximate cost of most yarns I use. If I told my husband that yarn cost $20-30 per skein, he'd probably tell me to find a new hobby. ;) He'd probably also be pretty ticked off if he ever went to get me some as a gift and discovered I'd pulled the wool over his eyes. :devil

We moved recently so my dh went beserk with the amount of crafting tubs he had to heft from home to home and up the stairs to my new crafting room. He really didn't think I had accumuated so much. So I've been trying to use up my stash and only buy enough to finish projects if I run out. He has stopped to get me supplies so he knows average costs, but he would faint if he ever came to a "real" yarn store. I just about faint with some of that stuff. Now he thinks I should make a blanket big enough for him and not just baby stuff. We will see, maybe for fathers day otherwise his birthday is in October, gives me more time!

I get a knitting magazine and they do a review of different yarn each month, This month they did silks and one was £14 for 50g, I was shreiking going "how much?" My fella looked concerned and told him how much this silk was he said "is that cheap or something?" I was like nooooo. bless em no wonder they go barmy when you bring more wool into the house if they think that is what it costs xx

We moved recently so my dh went beserk with the amount of crafting tubs he had to heft from home to home and up the stairs to my new crafting room. He really didn't think I had accumuated so much.

:rofl Yep my BIL had the same reaction when he helped DH move us last year...they made two truckfuls just of boxes marked "Art Room". DH just looked at baby bro and told him, "Don't ask. Just accept." :rofl

Archived