Yarn at Hobby Lobby

I went in my local HL twice this week and noticed that their selection of yarns really seems to be changing for some reason. They had a lot of it on clearance. Has anyone else noticed this?

Strange, when I was there this week, they had a lot of their own brands on clearance, some for as low as 99 cents. Most of it seemed to be the novelty yarns. I noticed clearance signs for other yarns, but most weren't marked down very much. I've noticed the store where I live clearances yarn at least once every season and it's usually replaced by new verions of their brand of yarn.

I noticed too that they tend to be going toward strickley Yarn Bee Yarns

I agree, and that's fine, but I do wish they'd come up with a Yarn Bee version of plain ol' worsted weight in a variety of colors. Most of the Yarn Bee stuff is too "frou frou" for my taste. I love Hobby Lobby but if they do away with everything except YB, I'm in trouble!

I know that I tried finding Red Heart sport Pompador, and the person stocking the yarn said that they are not carrying that anymore, along with a few other brands. It was a sad day for me... Also, the Wal-Mart at least in Athens, AL (don't know about the one near me) is going to stop carrying crafts at all! They're replacing it with like a home decor area. Anyone else's Wal-Mart changing? I mean, there isn't a HUGE selection at my Wal-Mart, but it was closer than any other yarn shop, and they had some things that I used. Anyway, it's so sad! In Athens, my Mom said that there is no yarn shop anywhere nearby, that the closest is in Huntsville, a 45 min. drive from there, now that Wal-Mart isn't carrying yarn, and Wal-Mart drove out all the other craft stores in Athens... :(

Victoria

I may have to go in and look! Our HL has increase their line. They do have some smooth yarns, but if I recall, mostly baby weight and color...but it's been a few months. (I'm broke...use up what little I've got before I go out). Also, sometimes a yarn company will discontinue a certain line with little or no warning (and no apparent reason)...so then that gets cleared out quickly too. And I think the trendy furry yarns aren't selling as well anymore, so those will start to decrease as to the amount of space they take up on yarn store shelves. I hope soon...I wanna see more "smooth" yarns. not necessarily acrylic...cotton's good...but not always hairy, or bumpy or nubby, or "beaded" etc etc etc!

I know that I tried finding Red Heart sport Pompador, and the person stocking the yarn said that they are not carrying that anymore, along with a few other brands. It was a sad day for me... Also, the Wal-Mart at least in Athens, AL (don't know about the one near me) is going to stop carrying crafts at all! They're replacing it with like a home decor area. Anyone else's Wal-Mart changing? I mean, there isn't a HUGE selection at my Wal-Mart, but it was closer than any other yarn shop, and they had some things that I used. Anyway, it's so sad! In Athens, my Mom said that there is no yarn shop anywhere nearby, that the closest is in Huntsville, a 45 min. drive from there, now that Wal-Mart isn't carrying yarn, and Wal-Mart drove out all the other craft stores in Athens... :(

Victoria

Yikes, nope thankfully my local Wally World is still going strong

which reminds me, I was glad to see that my Wal-mart finally tossed the last of their NoBo out on the sales shelf for $2.50 a skein :). I've found some colors of RH there that HL isn't stocking. It looks like they might be reducing some of their other yarns like the varieties of RH too, but I can't say for sure what's up, til they fill in the empty gaps that have begun to appear.

:angry Hey,I have noticed this too!!! I went to a Walmart in the town/city I live in and there is no yarn it at all!!!! There was just a very little bit of a material selection and it was in an area about 1/4 the size it was a year ago....sad to say that it is like this now. I guess they are not selling enough of it or something. Maybe people are ordering more of it online these days. Sad days indeed.... I am glad I have my three large plastic tubs of yarn stashed away now, for a rainy day...:no

When I was at our Hobby Lobby last week I was thinking that they have an awful lot of sales, but then I remembered when I used to work in the mall and run over there on break and would talk to the girls and they would complain it was so slow, so I just assumed all those sales are to bring more people in.

But I was real well behaved, my mom thought she would treat me to some yarn but I proudly said NOPE I am on a yarn diet!!! I did really!!!

The lady at my Wal-Mart told me they were getting rid of all things measurable! I guess that way they don't have to have someone in that department at all times~What a sad day!

• 1 month later...

The HL closest to me has been trucking in more of their own brands and selling others cheap! I bought 10 balls of moda dea dream the other day for 1.99 each....couldn't pass it up! :devil I would have bought more, but ran out of money.:blush

I don't know about HL, but my Michaels and Joanns both tend to put a lot of the 'novelty' yarn on sale from time to time. I like the HL yarns (when I can get to one, none in PA...), but I agree, they need to stock at least one or two brands of just plane-jane WW yarn in a bunch of colors. Caron SS is my fav, but RHSS is a good 'standby' and 'everyday' yarn too.

It's hard for me to get to the Hobby Lobby near where I live (it's about 30 miles away), so I haven't gotten to see what changes they're making. I sure hope they won't do away with the standard Red Heart yarns! I was really looking forward to going there later this month to pick some up for some projects I have planned! I was so happy to see that big yarn selection when I went there in December. If it's gone, I'll be very sad...

So far as I can tell, our Walmart hasn't gotten rid of a lot of the yarn, but there was a bunch of it on clearance not long ago. They seem to be trying to slowly work it out, from the looks of things. :(

I am hoping that my local Hobby Lobby will increase it's yarn selection, because if it is true that Walmart is doing away with their yarn and fabric departments Hobby Lobby will be the only place in this horrible little city to buy both yarn and fabric.:blush

Archived