a little tip for saving free projects

sometimes when you find a project you have to highlight, copy, paste into a Word document and save it.

well, one thing i have found to be VERY helpful to me is aften pasting the pattern i ALWAYS copy and paste the website that i found the pattern at. mainly for a couple of reasons.

1. so if i need to refer back for one reason or another i know what website i got the pattern from.

and

2. to give credit where credit is due. it would be awful to work on a pattern from someone elses blog/website and then forget which blog/website you found it from and post it here on the 'ville or on your own blog/website and not give the original pattern designer their credit.

hope that this helps everyone. i know it has helped me!:D

I've taken to doing the same thing, for the exact same reasons you stated. I forget which one it was, but I made something, posted it on my blog, couldn't remember which website I got it from, and ended up spending over an hour searching through my bookmarks to find it! :lol I learned the HARD way to put the URL at the bottom of my word document! :yes

I've taken to doing the same thing, for the exact same reasons you stated. I forget which one it was, but I made something, posted it on my blog, couldn't remember which website I got it from, and ended up spending over an hour searching through my bookmarks to find it! :lol I learned the HARD way to put the URL at the bottom of my word document! :yes

which is is exactly why i started doing it.:lol i have gosh knows how many free projects saved in My Documents and while the PDF ones that you download usually have the website (or are from Sugar n' Cream, Lion Brand, Bernat, etc.) the ones i get from blogs or CPC i usually have to save to a Word Document so it can print properly.

Also, if you post it here on the 'ville or somewhere else and someone wants the pattern then you can just go to the link that is on your Word Document instead of searching for HOURS :ccompute

Glad I could help :) !:manyheart

That is really a good idea! I usually just click on 'save webpage as' and then save it on my hard drive, but often I have no clue where I got it from once I go back to use it.

I do have a question. You mention copy, pasting it onto a word doc. When I do that, I can't get the picture to copy along with the text. So, I need to save the picture on my desktop, and then insert it into the word doc, (and then delete the pic off my desktop). That works but is a pain. How do you get the picture(s) to copy along with the text?

Thanks!

Joan

Usually just regular ole C&P works for me. But sometimes I've had the same problem. What I do then - instead of saving the picture to my hard drive - is go back to the page, copy the picture ONLY, and paste it into the document where it should have been in the first place.

It's worked every time (so far, anyway).

:hook

It's always good to copy the URL AND the individual instructions (and picture, if available) to yourself. Sometimes if I see a pattern I like and a few months go by, the weblink no longer works, or the site has taken down that particular pattern. By copying BOTH, you can give credit where credit is due AND you still have the pattern you wanted to make even if you can no longer find it online.

I finally clued into that a few weeks ago, so the last several patterns I've saved have that information. I wish I'd known about it before. :)

I had this silly idea that my little pea brain would remember where I got stuff by the copyright info... that is so not happening! Thank you for this tip. I will do this from now on.

About the pictures: Copy Image instead of Save Image is the way to go on that one.

Archived