Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Tam- yea those book readers are really cool. I think they may be the neatest gadget I've ever seen .

I wouldnt advise them for real small kids that might not be careful with it, because the kindles are really thin and easily breakable- I have read tons of stories on amazon about people who break the screens ,so it'd be easy to do if it got dropped,stepped on or knocked off a table . I have mine in a zipper-type padded case so it wont get broken.

If your boys are careful with it, it'd be great .

And that is such a neat thing, to have your dad's number on their uniform ! Great idea .

oh.. absolutely...gotta watch kids with stuff like that!

I think mine would be okay... they are pretty darn careful with computers!

yep.... they carry grandpa with them all season!

Ok ladies-

Here's my new yarn :

ooooooooooooooooh... how pretty!!

Lost my message! UGH- clicked the wrong button or something???

Tammy- That is so cool that the boys carry their grandpa around with them!!! That little tidbit warmed my heart!!!

BBL

aww..... :hug

Hi Ladies.

Tam, the boys are so good looking!

Aww... thanks hon!

Beautiful colors for a RR. That's so special that the boys carry their grandfather with them.

My plane tomorrow leaves at 3:06 central time and arrives in Atlanta at 6:06 eastern time. So I should be home by 8:00 or there about.

Thank you!!! Its coming along nicely too!

Tam - It's sweet that the boys wear their grandpas number :manyheart

:manyheart I think so too!!

Punch Bowl Cake

Ok, so here's what you need:

2 pound cakes

2 large boxes of vanilla instant pudding

2 cans crushed pineapple (I think they're 16 oz each)

4-5 large bananas

2 cans cherry pie filling, or blueberry pie filling, I sliced fresh strawberries in this one at the recipient's request but usually do the cherry

Chopped nuts - 2 cups for just a bit or if you really like nuts use 4 and load it up ;)

2 large cool whips

Make the pudding as per package instructions.

Drain the pineapple

Layer in the punch bowl 2 times:

1. Crumble up the pound cake and even out the layer

2. Pudding

3. Pineapple

4. Bananas, sliced

5. Pie filling or other fruit used

6. Nuts

7. Cool Whip

I usually look at what I'm seeing from the outside of the punch bowl while layering because I like to see the layers, the inside doesn't matter quite as much :lol

When spreading out the pudding and cool whip, especially the cool whip since it's on top of nuts - Put a good amount in and while spreading be careful not to lift the spoon/spatula and it can pull up the layer below, just keep spreading it out by turning the bowl as you do it :D Oh, and I recommend crumbling the cake by hand and layering the pineapple by hand as well.

Oh, and taking it somewhere, I always like to put a little bit of nuts on the very top, just enough to let others know they're in the cake. Since there are a lot of people with allergies to nuts :yes

Any questions?

Yep!!!! These are fun cakes!!!

I love making them... chocolate ones too!

Tam~your boys with #73 for grandpa...how special is that....made me cry. :manyheart

I only got 3 rows added to my RR but I did make one heck of a good stew. :soup Looks like I am the only one of the late nite crew so think I will make a cuppa :kettle then :book and finally :sleep See you all in the a.m., although not too early.

:hug... aww thanks hon!

Yeah... everytime they put those uniforms on... I get a warm feeling in my heart! I sure do miss my daddy!

:heart

:mug

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good morning! I'm only the fourth one on this morning? Wow! That doesn't happen often. Spent time last night with Rosie showing her all the quilt fabric I bought and all the lovely pieces that my grandmother and mom did that mom had saved for me. Rosie had never seen things made with the size 30 thread and was awed by them. She recommended framing some of them and putting them on display. I might do it, too. At least for a couple of them.

Just reading to get caught up but wanted to jump in quick when I saw this. Linda, since you are a quilter....I have seen beautiful quilts made with doillies. They were carefully basted to a background block, something dark so the pattern would show up. Then they were covered with a very sheer fabric for further protection. Then outline quilted around the edge of the doily. You could add solid blocks to "fill" the quilt. Beautiful!! Just a thought. Now back to reading. If someone else has suggested this, sorry for the duplicate info.

Just reading to get caught up but wanted to jump in quick when I saw this. Linda, since you are a quilter....I have seen beautiful quilts made with doillies. They were carefully basted to a background block, something dark so the pattern would show up. Then they were covered with a very sheer fabric for further protection. Then outline quilted around the edge of the doily. You could add solid blocks to "fill" the quilt. Beautiful!! Just a thought. Now back to reading. If someone else has suggested this, sorry for the duplicate info.

I'd never thought of that. It's a neat idea.

:sun........ Good afternoon family!

Just poppin' in to say :hi HI and give updates!

Michael is doing great... his levels have tested really good the last few days.... another day or two of this and we will be able to start the weaning process off the meds and be back in remission! :yay

I am doing better... my neck is slowly feeling better. The pain is really starting to become less and less everyday. Doc says this is going to take a good amount of time to get through... but I will.

I have to show this .....

I took a picture of Michael frying himself a breakfast steak the other day.

He is so cute!

post-18634-135897541502_thumb.jpg

okay... off to more coffee.. .crocheting and baseball games...

have a great day all

Thanks Judy...

And a shout out to Cindy (Gardner) your summer card went in the mail yesterday...

JulieKay, what's the card theme for next week?

Yours went in the mail today.'

I don;t know if Julie saw this, but I believe that next weeks theme is birds.

On a sad note, watching NJ news and a NJ State Trooper has been shot...no news, no captures yet, but helicopters, etc are out there. There'll be a statement coming soon. That doesn't sound good. I'm afraid we may have our 2nd trooper death in a week.:(

That is very sad.

I'm back from running errands. I also spent a few hours with DD. Now its time to do a little work around here. I have to work again tomorrow.

Cheeria, I did not get the squares mailed today. Our little post office is only open from 10 to 2. (I thought it was 8 to 12) I got there too early this morning on my way to Grand Rapids, and got home too late. I won't be able to get there until next week sometime now. Unless I can get dh to go for me........ I'll work on that!

Sad news here today too. We've had a lot of rain lately and our area is quite heavily wooded. A tree fell on a mans car as he was driving down a country road this morning and killed him. They are saying that the ground is just so saturated with water, that the tree just fell over.

On a sad note, watching NJ news and a NJ State Trooper has been shot...no news, no captures yet, but helicopters, etc are out there. There'll be a statement coming soon. That doesn't sound good. I'm afraid we may have our 2nd trooper death in a week.:(

Oh Goodness!!! :(

:mdust PRAYING!!! :mdust

Sad news here today too. We've had a lot of rain lately and our area is quite heavily wooded. A tree fell on a mans car as he was driving down a country road this morning and killed him. They are saying that the ground is just so saturated with water, that the tree just fell over.

:eek Good Grief! Thats terrible! geez!

Praying for that mans family!!!

Oh I don't need any more projects! While I only have one crochet project going at the moment, I've got lots of other projects going in other crafts. This thread has already given me plenty of ideas for more quilts and I've already got 3 WIPs plus fabric for 4 WIMs. I'll probably add Around the World to the list when I come across the right fabric.

In case you haven't guessed, I've been making all of the cards that I've been sending to my Pen Pal. I'm actually planning to give handmade cards as the majority of my Christmas gifts this year, so I've been enjoying your themes as inspiration for more cards. I'm making 4 for each theme, one which gets sent to my pen and the remaining three go into the Christmas Gift stack.

The one saving grace is that I prefer to crochet with thread, so as long as the majority of the projects in here are yarn it'll help to keep my crochet WIPs under control.

Have you combined the thread crochet with your cardmaking? I have seen some beautiful cards that had crocheted flowers....forget me nots, daisies, just nice little flat flowers. So pretty. I've made a few cards with embroidery on them but haven't tried the crochet.

Hello House, :clap

Finally got caught up reading. I had a dr. appt. yesterday so I was MIA. Doc. asked if I was still haveing vertigo.....I had totally forgot about it. That's a good thing. Everything was o.k. but BP was a little high, put me on meds for that and will check back in 3 mos. Have another appt. with eye doctor on Friday so will be MIA again.

After we went to the docs. we went to lunch. I have 4 gift cards that need to be used. This one was a local restaurant. Had corn chowder and half sammi...chicken salad. It was very good. DH had a burger and fries. Then we went shopping at Costco. Bought a new TV. :cheer 42", led/lcd (whatever that means) DH is thrilled with it (me too).

Sherri, thanks for recommending the Learn to Knit book. I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today. Looks really good. What colors are you using in your afghan? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hurray for new babies. :yay Lilly Gail, sweet name, sweet baby. Poppa looks proud.:c9

I have about 2 1/2 rows left on my rr. Hope to finish it today. Then I will flip back to a WIP, coffee and cream colored afghan.

Lissa-ouch! All those bites. :eek I've had fire ant bites and they hurt like heck, but that was only one at a time. Hope you are getting some relief.

Father's Day coming up. Always a tough one for me. My Pop died on Father's Day. Also my Grandad (30 years earlier). So I try to celebrate with happy memories.

Well, I need to go water and swap the laundry from washer to dryer to bedroom to fold. Hope you all have a good rest of the day. TTYL

:sun........ Good afternoon family!

Just poppin' in to say :hi HI and give updates!

Michael is doing great... his levels have tested really good the last few days.... another day or two of this and we will be able to start the weaning process off the meds and be back in remission! :yay

I am doing better... my neck is slowly feeling better. The pain is really starting to become less and less everyday. Doc says this is going to take a good amount of time to get through... but I will.

I have to show this .....

I took a picture of Michael frying himself a breakfast steak the other day.

He is so cute!

[ATTACH]22257[/ATTACH]

okay... off to more coffee.. .crocheting and baseball games...

have a great day all

Oh, Tammy, that's wonderful news! Congratulations!

I took pictures of the fabrics I bought on vacation. The first three are going in the same quilt, but not sure about the rest. They'll go in my stash with the rest of my oriental fabrics.

post-9295-135897541539_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541549_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541555_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541531_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541535_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541542_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541546_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897541552_thumb.jpg

Tam, I'm glad Michael is better! He's too cute at the stove, too - I started teaching our son to cook very early on, and he's very good when he has time. Lots of creativity.

About that State Trooper here in NJ: he commited suicide.:( He was 35, with a wife and kids in the next town over from us. She must be beside herself....

Oh, how awful! When you hear about the randomness of those things it breaks your heart....:(

Linda, I love the rich colors you picked....they're all so beautiful! Enjoy palying with them. BTW: how did your mom like her quilt?

I finished the 36 inch ATW...technically I don't think it really is an ATW, but only a version because of how it's made in blocks, and not continuous rounds.

Now I can get back to the bright baby ripple and start one of the 2 baby gifts.

I hope Joanne's game isn't rained out - looks ominous outside right now.

CU all tomorrow - Yankees are on.:hug:manyheart

Oh, Tammy, that's wonderful news! Congratulations!

I took pictures of the fabrics I bought on vacation. The first three are going in the same quilt, but not sure about the rest. They'll go in my stash with the rest of my oriental fabrics.

[ATTACH]22264[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22265[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22267[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22268[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22269[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22270[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22271[/ATTACH]

Very pretty!

Evening House. :)

All but one of the errands was done today. That one is going to be a bear. But, that is for another time.

The highlight of the day was listening to Mike play on an acoustic electric guitar. Now he's waiting for a call from the music store on a something something jumbo...comparison of tone is a must. Since most of the day is gone, I think it will be a movie night here. I picked up Julie and Julia while out.

Joy, your Summer card will be going out in the mail tomorrow. :yes

Good evening ladies,

I hope eveyone's day went well! It's all downhill from here :D

Mine started slow, but then moved quicker when it got busier :clap

Mary - that chicken and salsa sounds good, I'll have to try it :)

Judy - Wow, your really getting alot done around the house :yay:clap That's great!!! It's a shame about that state trooper though :(

Tam - Michael sure is a cutie! :yes

Cindy - I can't believe that tree fell and killed a man!!! :eek I will keep his family in my prayers :hug :hug to them all!

Diane - :yay for your new tv, that's awesome!!!! The LED/LCD is just the way the tv projects the image to the screen, IMO they are better than the plasma's :)

Linda - Your fabrics are just gorgeous!!! :yes

Sherri - That was a really cute movie, let me know how you like it :)

Wow - Joanne and Judy - back to back homeruns just now :cheer from Howard and Werth :yay (I'm just sayin.......) :lol GO PHILLIES :cheer

Linda, I love the rich colors you picked....they're all so beautiful! Enjoy palying with them. BTW: how did your mom like her quilt?

Hi, Judy. Mom loved the quilt. She already had it on the bed in the guest room when we got there. The RR I made her a couple years ago was on the couch, and the filet crochet piece was on display, too.

I'm watching Top Chef DC right now. Then it will be off to bed. Have a good night, everyone.

Hi Everyone!

Joanne, I stay at the library right with Maya. The summer reading program is much larger than the spring one. All the kids out of school. There was 36 kids there today. To me that is to many, but it went really well. Wendy(the leader) is always so organized and they had extra workers today to. But she only read one book instead of 3 or 4 to the smaller group of 8-12. The age group was up to 6 but there was a few older ones. After the book, they made a fish (glued squares of tissue paper on the fish) then watched a movie. The kids received a rubber duck and a treat when they left. Maya likes going and it's good for her.

Tab, Congrats on the new niece. She's going to be special! Daddy certainly looks happy! I hope your hubby doesn't have to suffer much longer.

Marisa, Sorry you forgot to turn the crockpot on. I leave mine on and just unplug them. This past winter hubby forgot to plug ares in. I think we've all done it at one time or another.

Joy, Great idea with the cards.

Cindy, That's terrible news about the guy. I watched the news at 5:30 but didn't see anything on about it. It was probably on at noon. I've dumped almost 5 inches out of my rain tube in less than 2 weeks.

Judy, Your graph ghan is beautiful! That's awful news about the trooper. Prayers to his family! It's good to have everything all working out smoothly with furniture coming and going and the carpet cleaned and ready.

Cheeria, I put your squares in the mail today. Hope you had a fun day with gs.

Linda, That is so cool that your Mom passed things on to you from her and your Grandma. So glad she liked your quilt and she also was displaying other items you have made her. Glad you had a nice visit with her. Your material is beautiful, can't wait to see what you make with it.

Diane, There was a lady in Texas who did card embroidery and did some bookmarks to. I'll look and see if I brought anything home with me and take a pic if I did and show you. She had a thick book and said she would show us next winter to do it.

Tam, Great news on Michael and a nice pic of him cooking. Glad your starting to feel better to.

LeAnna, Hope the dentist trip went well.

Sherri, I would like to know how the movie was to. My sister has it and I want to borrow it.

Julie, How are you feeling? I seen you were going to go talk to your doctor. Did you yet? It has to be really frustating to you. You probably should call the doc and let him know how your feeling and see what he suggets. I think (or from are experience) doctors will take you off some meds (to many in there opinion) and start you on there regimen.

I have two brothers who both go to the same doctor and both been diagnosed with the same thing but only one is getting meds. I don't understand. My sil was told by the same doctor she has copd and he didn't give her any inhalers. Just don't understand this doctor at all.

Maya's Mommy is here, she has tomorrow off. Not sure if she is staying until friday or not.

My niece had her baby last thursday. A pic my brother sent me she doesn't like a newborn. But she is a nice healthy girl.

My other niece is having her baby next thursday.

Hubby has to go back in July to have a test done. He goes tuesday to see his primary doctor. I have to get a copy of a test he had done I forgot about and ask about another one. Then send these to the doctor at the va. Then it will august before we know anything. That's the downfall with the va. It takes so long to get in.

I'm off of here tonight. See you all tomorrow.

Judianne, my heart goes out to the family of the NJ trooper who was shot. As you may have heard, last fall and winter we had 5 officers shot and killed, 4 of them were in a coffee shop in Lakewood where MyThunderbird lives and 1 was in Seattle...I had blue lights on (as did several area residents) in their honor for months...

Queen, congrats on the baby...

Cindy, looking forward to seeing your card...I'm mentally working on the next card as I type this...

I thought that today would be the last day at the dentist until I made an appointment for a cleaning next...but noooo, have to see yet another specialist and have some jawbone removed to make room for the flipping crown...arg. I'm thinking now that I'll have at least 3 more appointments...I'm so frustrated...but honestly, it's necessary...I'm not upset with the dentist, just the situation.

Have you combined the thread crochet with your cardmaking? I have seen some beautiful cards that had crocheted flowers....forget me nots, daisies, just nice little flat flowers. So pretty. I've made a few cards with embroidery on them but haven't tried the crochet.

Nope. I have thought about combining my tatting with my card making, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Archived