Irish Crochet-Along--pics added post 14!!

Tracey4610

Okay, I absolutely LOVE the look of Irish Crochet!! Anyone with me on that part? Well, here's a challenge for y'all!! Go to http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/crochetpubs.htm and browse through some of these WONDERFUL books (or if you have some in your stash, that's even better!) and make some Irish crocheted lace, whether it be in thread or worsted-weight yarn. I'm currently working on a butterfly motif out of the Priscilla's Irish Crochet II using Bernat's Super Value in Medium Rose with an H hook...guess what!! It's going to be a shawl (or fairy wings, haven't decided yet) to wear to the Ohio Renaissance Festival this fall. It's already working up beautifully. If working in yarn, I use two skeins at once--one skein is the working thread and the second skein is chained for the padded cord (or p.c., in the patterns).

Anyone else want to do this, too? you can make some great pieces for spring and summer, as well as get some Christmas ornaments and other gifts out of the way. This is also a great way to use up some scraps out of your stash for the stash-busting challenge game!! Irish lace motifs don't always have to be in white!!

Yay, Darski! Glad to have ya!! Snowqueen, I encourage you to try it out...It can be lots of fun!! The piece I'm working on is kinda confusing, though...The directions aren't real clear, so I think from here on out I'm going to 'wing' it (pun intended...get it? I'm working on a butterfly motif shawl). This piece may take a while, but I might just have to take pics as I go along because it's fascinating to me. Anyone else brave enough to try it? :hook

I too love the look of Irish crochet... must be those Keltic roots of mine!! Great website for patterns too! I just love "antique" type patterns! So inspiring! I need to do some curtains for my kitchen, so I will join in when I can!

February is either going to be really busy because DH will be home, or it will be a good time for me to crochet because he can help with the kids!! Heheheh!!

BTW.... I LOVE those butterfly motifs! youngest DD loves butterflys and cats!

I have WAY too much to do, but I think I'm going to have to join in this one. I found a pattern for an Irish Rose Square -http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/irishrose.html. I think WW yarn, since the idea of doing Irish Crochet in thread just makes my short attention span cringe in fright. :lol I'm just going to try the one square for now. If it's not too much for me, I may make an afghan or bedspread out of it(yet another CAL! :) ) Now to find the yarn - I'm trying NOT to buy more! :D

I have a passion for Irish Crochet! I have tons of material, too.

I have tried, but can't get any of the material on the site you speak of.

I have adobe, and tried to update, but still can't access it. What to do?

I have been wanting to design a shawl with Irish Roses, and/or butterflies, using thread.

Zuzu

It might help if you just use right click and "Save as"

I have (had :grumpy )one corrupted file and it is the one that I opened when I wasn't thinking and saved. all the others are fine so far.

Okay...I think I'm holding off on the butterfly shawl for a little while...The directions are very confusing, and since I printed them from a .pdf file, they aren't very clear. It's too bad I can't find a reprint of the Priscilla Irish Crochet, book II yet. However, I DID get copies of "Masterpieces of Irish Crochet Lace: Techniques, Patterns, Instructions", ed. by Therese de Dillmont, and "irish Crochet: Technique and Projects" by the Priscilla Publishing Co. Both are reprints published by the Dover Needlework Series. Great books for those who are just learning. Unfortunately, neither of the books have butterflies, so I can't find a good butterfly pattern to use as a shawl. :no Locally, no one had either of these two books, but Barnes&Noble had them at the lowest price, and there were some that were used. I did the math, and discovered that if I went to the store and had them ordered and delivered to that location, there's no shipping, and it's less expensive than buying used and shipped to my house. :eek Needless to say, that's what I did. I'm working on the Fourth Wheel motif in the Masterpieces book, and I'm considering making a motif book with it. I'll make the individual motifs and sew them onto a muslin or linen leaf, labeling each motif, and sew the leaves together to make a book to show real-life examples. This way, if I ever get into selling Irish lace pieces, I'll have tactile examples, and I'll also be able to pass this work down to my daughter when she's old enough.

Does anyone else have any updates?

Hello everyone..........I'm still trying to get the pdf files.......I have tried everything....tried different ones on that site, downloaded update of adobe, deleted some old adobe (right or wrong) .......

I sometimes get the first page, and then the computer just freezes.:thair

Don't know what to do!!!!!! (not all that great on computer!)

I do have so much material, but can't decide. I think I have the books you mention.

Tracey, do look at the CAL, butterfly shawl. I made that one, and it is beautiful. It is thread.......4 strands for the butterfly, and one strand for the mesh.

I have so many very old butterfly patterns, and they are quite intricate

:gallery

Zuzu :dog:cat

Zuzu: I don't have that magazine that the CAL is using...what I have in mind for my shawl is to use like a chunky-weight yarn to make a giant butterfly-wing motif and use it as an actual shawl...I'm not giving up on the thing, just taking a break from it for a little while. I need more practice reading the time period's instructions before going any further. Who knows? I may even just make my own pattern in the spirit of Irish lace!! :hook

However, what I am doing is making the smaller motifs and combining them to make little purses...I hope to sell them in a shop in a local community this spring. I plan to make 10 of them, and bring them to this shop to see if the owner is interested in carrying them in her inventory. I'm almost finished with the back panel of my first bag, and I'll post pics of the two panels when they're complete. I'm also going to make a trim that will combine the two panels together...One of the opera bags in the Priscilla book has all these "pendants" hanging off of it, so I'm thinking of adding a zipper for the opening and using one of the pendant patterns for a zipper pull. Maybe this afternoon I can post the pics for all of you to see, and you can help me decide... :manyheart

Hi Tracey,

Your ideas sound lovely! Yes, I would love to see pix!

If you go through the cal re the buttefly shawl, you will see some pix, and perhaps find someone who has the mag to give. (it really is beautiful, and I love it. Of course , it is not Irish crochet, except for the idea of the mesh bringing everything together)

I think I have seen a pattern for a giant butterfly somewhere. Maybe you can draw a butterfly on a huge paper (tape opened grocery bags together?) and then pin your motifs to it, and then mesh them together.

(or maybe I miss-read, and I realize you have an old pattern. yes, they seem to assume you already know what they mean! You just have to try it and see what works......be brave!)

I have seen the little dangling motifs on purses, and sometimes they have dangling beads or pearls. I think it is lovely.

keep us posted!

Zuzu

Okay!! I finally have pics of a project in progress!!

The white rectangle on the left is a flannel bag I hand-sewed together for the bag lining. The center panel is the front panel of the bag, and the plain netting will be the back. I haven't finished off yet because I'm now going to crochet the two pieces together along the sides and bottom, then sew the whole thing to the lining.

crochet006.jpg

This is a close-up of the front panel.

crochet007.jpg

What do y'all think?

I love it! It's coming along beautifully. I wish I could say the same about mine - I've had little or no time to crochet lately(wedding plans for my mom), but I will keep checking in to see your work!

Well, I've had my purple flower bag finished for about a week, just never got to take pics of it. Anyone wanna see? [[drumroll]]

Ta-da!!

crochet005-1.jpgcrochet007-1.jpg

Sorry about the mysterious little hand...my dd had been trying to highjack it since I put it on the board for its modeling session. Do you likey?:hook

Archived