Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I'm really interested in seeing how the rectangular squares (?) come out.

For anyone that is changing the hook size or # of st's across - remember that you can always change the # of rows in the color block. Fold the square diagonally into a triangle and when it's evenly in half you have a perfect square!

I wish I could be doing more on mine but my hands are all pins and needles today. ugh. I wish this cold front would blow thru so I could start feeling better.

I hope your hands feel better soon!

As far as rows/stitches goes, I'm using the N hook, 17 across but I only needed 10 rows to make it square, or about as square as anything I ever make turns out. I got the fourth strip done and have started the 5th. Once I join and add a boarder, I'll post a finished pic!! :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started panel # 7. I just didn't want to crochet this pattern anymore for a couple reasons.

1. It should be finished (including the border) by now if it was a normal size.

2. Some projects just go on too long.

3. I'm bored with it

4. I'm ready to start on my next project and getting really excited about it!

So, I weaved in all my ends tonight instead of crocheting. I don't know what I dislike more 0 weaving ends or sewing together. I think it's the ends.

Thank God for my Handeze gloves. They make such an incredible difference! I wish I had seen the Lion Brand version in their catalog first - they're black and have all the finger holes. The 'light flesh tone' ones look pretty dumb and generate lots of questions when I wear them out. The middle and ring finger hang in one big opening, and they get really dirty really fast. esp. when working with darker yarns.

I guess for all the help and relief I get from them I should really top complaining. LOL

OK, ladies - I have a renewed vigor for finishing this ghan! I'll let you in on a little secret!!!!

I'm making the ghan for jimbo! He just fell in love with the flannelghan. Anyways - we're trading! Handmade hooks for a huge blankie! We've been working together so he gets his very own custom blankie!

He just finished my N hook!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get it!!!!!!! I'm so excited! I'm going to make my heartghan with one of jimbo's hooks!

For as long as I've dreamed of having a wooden hook I could never bring myself to purchase one! (Hey - I'm a single Mom on disability) This is a dream and a prayer come true!

Last night I decided which edging to use and I can't wait to see how it's going to come out!

WOW - that's my happy news for the day!

OK, ladies - I have a renewed vigor for finishing this ghan! I'll let you in on a little secret!!!!

I'm making the ghan for jimbo! He just fell in love with the flannelghan. Anyways - we're trading! Handmade hooks for a huge blankie! We've been working together so he gets his very own custom blankie!

He just finished my N hook!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get it!!!!!!! I'm so excited! I'm going to make my heartghan with one of jimbo's hooks!

For as long as I've dreamed of having a wooden hook I could never bring myself to purchase one! (Hey - I'm a single Mom on disability) This is a dream and a prayer come true!

Last night I decided which edging to use and I can't wait to see how it's going to come out!

WOW - that's my happy news for the day!

:yay:cheer:yay:cheer

Glad to hear you've got something so cool to look forward to! I've decided that I'd love to try a wood hook myself, but again, the whole cost thing...

I hope to join my strips up tonight and figure out an edging. It looks like I'm going to have to get more navy though, we'll see what happens after I join.

Almost done with strip #3. I love love love the pink/black combo. I'm taking home the digi camera (i have to borrow work camera, don't have one at home) and get a couple of pics tonight. I had to put it down last night and work on my pink camo top. Using the double strands puts a strain on my wrist (I have RA), hence the reason I'm wishing I'd done this in the P hook. So I took a break from it for the night. Its my plan to finish the strips by Friday and use the weekend to weave in those wretched ends and sew it together.

How are you guys sewing it together? I'm wondering should I use black on the black sections and pink on the pink sections, or just either/or for the whole thing. Can somebody give us a close up pic of how you did it?

addey - what do you have in mind for an edging?

I was thinking of either doing a varient of what's in the pattern:

1row HDC blue

1 row Vst green

1 row sc blue

1 row rsc blue

Or:

I picked up a book of 50 afghan edges last week at JoAnn's. There were a few in there that looked kinda cool that I might try. A little ruffle-like edge that's not too frilly but a little soft.

Or, I could always end up doing my 'standard':

1 row sc blue

1 row sc green

1 row rsc blue

I like using a reverse single round because it seems to keep the thing from stretching wierd after washing or much use. Not that I enjoy doing the round as it takes 3 times as long as normal... but it looks nice.

I have no idea really. It depends on how much blue I have left and what mood I'm in when I get there. I too am trying to figure out if I should just use blue to join with or what... I guess I'll figure it out tonight after dinner. :shrug

OK. I give. I was 10 rows from finishing strip #5 and then I found out that waaaay back on row 7 I messed up and ended up with 18 stiches across, and later some rows were 19 or 20.... It was too bad to hide so I have to frog the whole stinking strip :( Guess I'm not finishing tonight. :sigh

Addey - instead of frogging you can sew a few st's thru the wider parts. It'll be a little thicker tho.

I can't wait to see the edges!

Melissa - I usually use the color that the ghan has the most of. Here's a pic I made up to help with the sewing part

PC180026.jpg

I did it in contrasting colors so it's easier to see. I always tie the corners of my blocks and it really helps to keep everything lined up. Because the solid blocks are up against the varigated you really won't see the stitching at all.

I'm so sick today - antibiotics sick that I haven't gotten anything done. I'm goin back to bed now.

Well, I only ended up frogging abut half the strip down to where it was 18 stiches instead of 17 (the rows I frogged were all 19! :eek). I have redone the strip and tied the corners of my first two to join. I'm going to put the misfit strip in the middle, hoping it will help 'squish' the couple of squares that are a little larger together. I don't think it is a bad as when I first posted. I was having a bad day, had a headache and nothing I'd touched all day worked :(

Tonight I will join at least the first two strips, maybe the whole thing. It depends on if my friends are online tonight, I've been ignoring them lately :P

OK. I've got one strip joined and the 2nd one tied in place. I hate whipstitching, so I'm being lazy and slipstitching the peices together. Yes, this does give me a 'right' and 'wrong' sides, but I don't think the 'wrong' side really looks all that bad, just different from the front side. I hope to finish by the end of the weekend *fingers crossed*.

I'm using slip stich, not whip... I HATE whip stitching (or any hand stitching for that matter, fabric or yarn). I can usually whip stitch loose enough that it doesn't bunch. This is why I don't do blankets of squares. This was only 5 strips, so I figured I could manage. I probaby should undo the seam that I've done and grit my teeth and whip it. But slip is sooo much faster! I will try giving it a good hard tug when I get home tonight to see if I can't make it a little flatter. At one point I almost tried to put it on my sewing machine to see what would happen, but I figured I'd either jam the machine with the yarn, or the thread wouldn't stretch and move like the yarn and rip out after two days of use. :P

I have a question and I want you all's opinions: I'm running out of yarn (true i have like 3 pounds left but still) and I dont think I'll be about to do an odd number of panels wide, do you think it would look weird if instead of my planned 7 panels, I had only 6? would the odd ending be terribly noticed at all?

I don't think it would be noticed. It might look a little funny to you because the pattern had an odd number and that's what you're expecting, but to 'everyone else' it will probably look planned....

I admit, I like the odd numbers though. I used less than 3.5lb for my 5 strips, but I have to do the boarder yet and finish joining (ugh). I went through almost two times my blue than my green (the blue was the 'main' color I held throughout).

I started a thread about the Fisher House Charity work specifically for the Ft. Sam Houston Houses for the war wounded. Please check it out. It's something I strongly believe in.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=659029&posted=1#post659029

~RR~

I hear ya on this one. I'm just thankful that halfway through his second deployment in three years, my good friend Steve is still safe and sound. He'll be home in a few weeks for a week or so of mid-tour leave. I can't wait to see him.

I don't think it would look funny - I mean, after all lumberjack flannel shirts don't line up. I also think that you could fudge it with the right border. You just might be surprised and have enough.

I would make the border smaller or add a 3rd highlight color to it to make up the difference. Personally, I'd rather have a smaller border than cut the # of strips.

I'm going to post pics of my latest huge ghan after jimbo receives it but I do have an AWESOME border that doesn't take much yarn at all. I'll be happy to PM you with the pattern if you promise not to share it until after he receives his ghan.

The finishing touches are a creative license surprise!

ooooooooooo i'm so excited i can hardly type. Now that's going to be an afgan that is not only good lookin, but in a manly lumberjack kinda way. Just right for the crick!

jimbo - it's in the wash and heading out tomarrow! I'm going to go try my new N hook now !!!!! I really am too excited!

I'm going to hold off posting pics until Jim gets it. I think that's only right. It's manly alright - and big enough for 2! It came out to be just about 5x7 FEET!

Archived