beautiful crochet jacket?

It's Irish Crochet. I googled and found they have a lot of patterns out there. There are even some on E-bay if you are interest.:D

Thought everyone should see this. It says its crocheted, but I can't see how. I would love to find a pattern that had the shaping of this jacket, except longer bell sleeves. Take a look its very detailed.

http://www.antique-lace.com/date3/2229/2229.htm

I've seen Irish crochet like that close up. It's amazing how thin the thread they used in Irish crochet 100yrs ago was.

I dont think I could ever crochet with thread as thin as that. I'm doing good if I can use sport weight crochet cotton.

That is a beautiful piece of Irish Crochet. There are some fabulous pieces of Irish crochet out there.

Working with that fine thread isn't as hard as everyone seems to think. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I have worked with thread as small as size 150. (Yes they actually used to make thread that fine just for crochet.) The beauty of the finer threads is you could get so detailed with out being gaudy. Irish crochet isn't as tough as it looks either. It's a beautiful art form.

Omistars, what a gorgeous jacket! The flare at the back would look like a giant bustle on my great behind, but I still love that style!

There are a couple of vintage Irish crochet 'pattern' books that are free online. (I'm sorry ... I'm searching for the link but can't find it. Did notice that there's something about 'reselling rights' now and there are some for sale on eBay - I wouldn't go there.)

Oh ... and by 'great' behind, I meant BIG. :(

Omistars, what a gorgeous jacket! The flare at the back would look like a giant bustle on my great behind, but I still love that style!

There are a couple of vintage Irish crochet 'pattern' books that are free online. (I'm sorry ... I'm searching for the link but can't find it. Did notice that there's something about 'reselling rights' now and there are some for sale on eBay - I wouldn't go there.)

Oh ... and by 'great' behind, I meant BIG. :(

Here is the link you were probably looking for. I think it is the best source of Irish crochet patterns I know of. http://antiquepatternlibrary.org

:cheer Looks Crocheted to me.

Done with very fine thread and a miniscule hook.

Not on my "Must do list."

I dont think it would look so good in 8ply yarn and a 4mm hook.:lol

:eek In the old days, they probably had servants who did nothing but work on fabric like that and remember, there was no TV or even Radio way back so no distractions.

:manyheart Beautiful to look at.:manyheart

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I have worked with thread as small as size 150. (Yes they actually used to make thread that fine just for crochet.)

:eek You're my hero, Katchkan!:yes

My house was built in 1926 and I've thought of making something from that era, but alas! I could make 3-4 afghans in the time it would take me to make one doily.

Hats off to you fine thread artists.

Since my hands won't deal with the fine hooks and fine threads, i just make the motifs in the thinner WW yarn that I can manage. i have no illusions abut comparing my work to the OP but I get to make, see and touch this

showpiece2.jpg

I don't care what size it is, Irish crochet is beautiful. It would be an interesting CAL for some time if we could just do some Irish Crochet in whatever medium we can.

When people are making the floral bedspreads, you are doing Irish crochet. it may not be dainty and incredible but it is Irish and it is beautiful.

That is an amazing piece of work! Thanks for the info Kathy...we all know that you are one of the best "threadies " that we have here at Crochetville!

Your work is beautiful too darski! I am very impressed by BOTH pieces!:manyheart:yes

I have some antique books that show this kind of crochet. I wish I had the patience to sit with size 50 thread and make something like this. Heck I need 4 other projects going when I do thread because it drives me nuts. I am so slow with it that I need something else to relax me after I have worked with it for a while.

Archived