Teddy bear-a-long

mysonsmommy

I have trouble with boucle yarn, too. I always fall in love with it at the store, but when I try to work with it I start swearing, lol. I usually just power through it, after a while you kind of get used to it enough to guess where the stitches are, but if anyone offers any suggestions I would love to hear them!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I made a scarf with boucle I found that I had to feel my way along. Rather than seeing the stitches, I had to feel where they were.

I'm currently working with another yarn like that where I can't see a thing and am using my fingertips to feel where to put the hook.

Okay, you guys talked me into it. I started Monique last week in pink #10 thread. Hope to have her done today. If I change the pattern and use baby yarn and an e hook, will the porportions come out right? Thanks. When do we have to have the bears done and posted? I've never done a cal??? (which means???????crochet along???) I'm new hear and still learning all the terms. Deb

Okay here is my Monique. It took me a while to do her since it's been years since I've worked with thread. I'm pleased with her. Next one will be with baby weight yarn.

tinybear2.jpg

I have started on the body for my pooh and have the legs attached. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week but we will see if that happens. I love the Monique bear. I have that on my list of things to make.

Decided to make my mum a bear for mothers day, the first one I made was the monique bear and used dk baby wool with a 3.5mm hook in peach. Wasn't happy with it, as joints were all loose, so decided to make another one using a pattern I found on here, came out nothing like the one in the pattern photo and wasn't happy with that one either, but decided to give it to her anyway and she loved it.

jointedbear.jpgpokeatoowithscarf.jpg

My sister has stolen the peach bear and have to make one in brown for her boyfriend as he said it will look like the Mr Bean bear.

Have got the wool and might start it sometime today.

:cat

ok I am in !!! Like I need another project on my plate but who can resist teddy bears!!

Here a few of my past bears I think I will have to make 2 one for each of my daughter's. Going through my stash now looking for good colors

th_DSCF1879-1.jpg

th_DSCF1814.jpg

th_DSCF1495.jpg

Suzan

Very cute bears everyone - I'm not even started mine, I guess I'd better hurry it up! Suzan, I love the tiny bear in the middle pic. The way he's standing!! Did you have a pattern for him or did you make him up yourself?

I started off using the monique bear pattern others have been talking about but this little purple guy came out of my head I wanted to see if I could do it!!!!! And I am proud to say I did. I never did write down the pattern though. And now when I make these guys they are just sort of born right out of my head. I will look for some good mini thread bear links and post them. They would not be free because the only free one I know of is the monique one.

Suzan

Ok here are some links to some really great thread bear artists who sell their patterns if anyone is interested.

http://www.peachtreecottage.com/patterns.htm

http://www.tedsfromthreads.com/newpatterns.htm

the above site is great this is where I buy all my bear making supplies. I buy a special acrylic fuzzy thread which is great because when you are done crocheting you can brush your bear lightly with a wire brush and he will get all fuzzy. I also buy tiny cotter pins from her for the jointing of the head. She has tons of neat supplies.

http://ludysbears.tripod.com/index.html

Suzan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all I'm new here :)

I would like to try the Monique bear as my first crochet project ever! I know how to do a single crochet stitch, I'm from the U.K but I have US books so no confusion there. What I don't understand is that in my book working in the round is done by working under the top two loops of the stitches. I started by just working under the single top loop in the first two chain stitches & it looks ok. Am I doing it wrong? Should I be doing it under the top two loops like in my book? only there aren't any for the first to chained stitches . Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Shaz

Hi bettycrackpot

So do I just work in the top strand of the stitch for the 2 chain stitches & then under the two top strands when I have some then? I am finding getting started difficult.

If anyone else can gve me any tips please do. I have searched all over the internet but can't find any directions anywhere.

Thanks

Natureshedgewitch-you are correct with that.

I have finished my pooh! I have to finish the shirt then I will post pics. I am hoping to start the monique bear soon. It is so cute.

Hi Goofy :)

Oh great thanks for helping. I have gotten started now & it looks to be coming out fine. I have increased hook sizes to a 1.75mm for the main bear parts & I am using a 3ply/fingering kinda weight yarn ( I bought some oddments on ebay). It's much easier to see the stitches that way if you are a beginner, but you still get a small bear. I'll also use a 1.15mm & slightly thinner thread for the muzzle instead of a tiny .6mm. I hope these suggestions might help others that might be put off by the cotton threads & tiny hooks.

regards

• 1 month later...

I am definately in! Darsky that bear pattern is sooo cute!

• 2 months later...

I promised to show some new pictures....here they are:

Eqfjh6ps.jpg

(click for larger image)

Thats my teddy-shelf in the livingroom, where my teddies can wait, until somebode wants to have them.:D Usually they dont have to wait long.;)

Gq8trMJ7.jpg

(click)

here I tried some spirals with a teddy-body. I like it, it looks so funny.:)

Eqfjh6ps_jpg.htm

• 2 months later...

Hello,

nobody here, whos crocheting teddys? :(

I made three since my last posting here. Two of the small variegated one and the black-white one for my daugther. She choosed the yarn for her teddy.:D

qc7dnkdm.jpg

mihutxby.jpg

Pictures clickable.;)

Archived