Anyone organizing/downsizing their stash for 2007?

A few weeks ago, I started to make a blanket that will be toddler sized that I'll donate to Project Linus when I'm through. It's made up of hex grannies, using scraps, edged in white. The hexes make up pretty fast, so I can work on them while I'm watching football. I'm going to have about 15 colors with 3 squares in each color, and then a handful of other random colors for the points. But I've discovered that although I'm using up a nice bit for this blanket, it isn't even coming close to emptying out my scraps basket! :lol

As for my stash, well, it's already pretty well organized, except I need another bookcase in my crafts room. I have a bunch of threads and some yarn currently sitting on the floor waiting for a home. I have 2 bookcases with yarn organized by type/brand/color (so all baby yarns are on one bookcase, and acrylics are separated by RH/TLC/SS, etc, and within brand by color). This has helped me a lot, to see what I have, and how much of what I have. Doesn't stop me from buying more (after all, when I see a pretty color, I just have to get it, right?).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am on yarn restriction so hubby says. i laughed at him:lol :lol , i did promise myself to cut back course i already bought some off of e-bay, and am waiting for it to come, so will have to find a home for it, as it is my stash is in a room(besides the closets and garage) thats 10x12 feet and its stuffed full, i admit it i am a yarnaholic :blush :blush i need the 12 step program thats for sure:hook:D

I made a vow to myself in December not to buy more yarn until I use up a lot of my stash. I have been good so far, but I have to get some yarn to make a bedspread with the CAL I am involved in.

I convinced myself that I NEED a bedspread so this isn't adding to my stash. Oh the things we tell ourselves!

I've been trying to go through all my stuff:eek Between all the yarn I have & the different craft things (like dolls) I've got to do something with it to make more room. I NEED a room just for my crafts:clap

I cleaned out my craft room a couple months ago - everything including all my yarn went to the storage building to make room for the new baby. Now I am crocheting again and have to get it all back out - and find a place to keep it!

I cleaned out some of my books and leaflets. I'm passing on some of my homespun and novelty yarn. I've decided I just don't like either. I bought a bunch when it was on sale thinking I'd like for my freeform crochet but I don't.

It will make room for some roving and spinning supplies when I get my spinning wheel!

My plan is to use from my stash for most projects this year. When I have saved some $ there are few projects I will need to get to make them.

Im affraid Im just doing the opposite I just keep adding and adding. I see a pattern and then its like oh I have to make that, but then its oh but first I need to get special yarn for that, then see another pattern I want to make then its oh I need to get this certain color for that etc etc etc :think

Does any one else go thru this:hook

I have a spreadsheet made up with most of my yarn. Or at least all the yarn that I could easily find that had lables to them. I have 1 big tote full of yarn and 3 of those XL Ziploc bags full. Those are the ones with the lables. That doesn't include my cotton yarn, the unlabled stuff or the things in my WIPs bags.

I am not going to buy anything more unless I really HAVE to until my stash is greatly dimished. Of course, if someone is going to pay me to make them something and I don't have it, I'll buy new stuff. I am working on a cotton yo-yo scrap afghan and finishing up some WIPs that should lower my stash count. Probably not enough though. I think that next I will do a giant rectangle granny. Or maybe an afghan for my little boy. Who knows. Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

i organized my stash back in the early fall. my plans were to use up what i had before buying any more. notice i said "were". i found the snowflake afghan and just had to start one. i'm working on that now. i don't have a lot of stuff - mostly baby yarns and a lot of blue ridge homespun. it's beautiful but i can't decide what to make out of it.

I went through my closet where i store my yarn, re-wound some that had become tangled, and got like colors together. I now have it all consolidated into boxes, nice and neat :)

I personally am not downsizing BUT my mil is .... and I've offered to store any/all of her yarn in my basement (aren't I the greatest!?!??!)

I've given up on trying to completely eliminate my stash, I simply accept the fact that it's there. I've used a LOT of yarn over the past 2 years, if I have been rotating it and using some of the older stuff, I'd say that my stash is less than a year old ... however that hasn't happened. Also, lately I haven't been able to concentrate on knitting/crocheting like I used to (it's been a tough year), and oddly, I'm doing more housework (how did that happen?). Hopefully this year I'll work my way thru some of the older stuff.

A little tip for anyone actaully trying to ged rid of yarn that worked well for me: When I'm done making a project I MUST use the rest of the ball before I start a new project. So sometimes I'd make a bunch of yo-yo's (for yo-yo clowns) or a bunch of small granny squares or something, I just threw them into a shoe box. It was great incentive to finish the ball, and then after a while I just had to assemble the clowns or squares. Since I've discoverd making 2-strand scrap-ghans so whenever I get enough scraps to make a blanket I'll whip one up, but right now I'm in the process of making scraps.

Good luck everyone with thier de-stashing attempts!

Fran

Wow!!! So glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there that has an addiction to yarn!! My husband has been wanting me to control my yarn. Obviously the man hasn't realized that saying something that crazy is grounds for divorce!!:D Seriously, I do have way too much yarn. I hold onto every last inch of it too. I'm hoping to get some info on charity projects here so that I can use all of it up. I'm going to try and be very good with my resolution not to buy anymore yarn unless someone wants something specific. Wish me luck!!! And the best of luck to all of you!!:yes

Well, I am working on my stash.... On my goodness, I can't believe how much I have.

http://melissascrochet.blogspot.com/

You can see some pictures here, and that isn't even half of what I own. I did decide I need to go through it all ..... Good luck to all that are working on using up there stash. And good luck to those that are organzing it.

Archived