Anyone organizing/downsizing their stash for 2007?

I'm spending today sorting my yarn stash and deciding what to do with those tiny balls of yarn left over from finished projects. Know what I mean? I guess they would make centers for granny squares....

Anyway, I have single skeins of several different colors. I think they will end up as scarfs or hats for homeless shelters. And then there are the granny squares in baby yarn that I inherited after my sister died. I want to get them put together in a baby afghan for my next great-great-nephew or niece, due around July.

Are any of you "stash organizing" right now? :yarn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I got rid of some of my stash just to make room. Not necessarily room for more yarn, just room so I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed.

I too have single skeins and I'm using them in a rectangle granny. I'm bad about not even hanging on to small scraps very long...they usually wind up in the bag for the thrift store.

I had a plan to use up my scraps (mostly acrylic) as soon as Christmas was out of the way, but instead I keep going out and getting yarn for new projects. To be fair, though, I haven't bought any yet *this year.*

I did find a great deal (I think) on Hobby Lobby's brand Yarn Bee "Artistry" last week. It is a chunky boucle-type yarn that's usually $9.84 per skein and it was on sale for $2.99, so I picked up 4 of them out of curiousity. I've never used it before - it will probably become a scarf and something to match.

Nope...no downsizing on yarn allowed in my house! Must have yarn...and lots of it.:lol

I save scraps and then make up squares for Heartmade Blessings. You can also make squares for the Charity section here at Crochetville. Someone is always needing squares...

I make hair scrunchies and various of other things like butterflies with scraps.

I try to use every last inch...okay, every last 12 inches.

Need more yarn....:D

I've been de-stashing the past month by using up those odd skeins for scarves for the Red Scarf CAL and combing others for my mom to whip (speedy crocheter that she is) into blankets for Project Linus. So far I think we've de-stashed all or at least part of 10 skeins (at least, I know off the top of my head we've used up all or a lot of 10). And those little balls of leftover yarn? I use them to attach my PL name tags to the blankets before we submit them, so while there's a ton of them floating around (and getting dropped all over the floor and mixed up with stuff and generally being a nuisance), they'll get used up eventually.

I think I might treat myself to some fancier yarn than I normally use to replace the used yarn. But I have to have the project in mind before I buy this year, I think that might be my yarn resolution.

I am determined to use up some of my stash this year. it may not be huge by most standards but it does exist and my little Scot's heart hates to see it sitting and not earning its keep :wlol:wbrr

I have some nice stuff that I will use for real projects but most of it will just hit the charity squares, blankets, hats and scarves pile. Some of this is also scheduled for those :knit projects that shall go nameless.

I just received my stash so I'm not planning on giving any up yet. LOL. I am using the small balls for the yoyo CAL. I'm also planning on making scarves and blankets and such. I still have to buy yarn for my blanket projects though.

I am constantly reorganizing, based on type of yarn one time, colors another, projects another.... It's never ending. But I really have so much unused yarn with the promise of another bag coming from a sister-in-law, that I have promised myself that the only yarn I will buy this year is yarn or thread for comissioned projects, of which there are several already in the the works already.

I'm using a scrapghan pattern(holiday exchange, thanks Ann!) to use up all this blue yarn that came up out of nowhere(an abandoned 'ghan plus extra :blush ). I do have a bin that most of my stash is in, but then there's the WIP bags that are all over my room. I always find that if I want to use up some of the yarn in my bin, I don't have the right constrasting color that I want(boy am I nitpicky about that), so I end up buying more yarn. *le sigh* But I AM going to use up those blues and the leftover Bernat Softee Chunky, blast it! :lol

I'm really trying to use up what I have before buying new but am having a very difficult time. I want to make bibs for my new grandbaby (due in March) and my 1 year old grandbaby, but I need cotton for that . . . I don't have any cotton . . :( . . I want to make these really neat doilys for my display case (they will look great under my carnival glass and Roseville pottery) but they take #3 thread . . . I don't have any #3 thread :( and I don't have a #2 hook :( - - - would these be considered "exceptions" (and therefore allowable?) to the no more new rule I have imposed upon myself? I'm needing justification assistance here :devil

I'm using up my single skeins and partially used ones making 6" squares. I've sent out 3 packages already, have more made. I figured I've made 100 squares in the past 2 weeks and STILL have plenty of yarn to use. I usually buy yarn by the project - next one being a TIGGER afghan for DD baby due in Feb. or before.

I'm spending today sorting my yarn stash and deciding what to do with those tiny balls of yarn left over from finished projects. Know what I mean? I guess they would make centers for granny squares.../quote]

I often think, "Hmm...these scraps would be great for Granny Squares." But then I end up taking the scrap yarn to my child's aftercare program where they use the yarn up for their craft projects. It keeps the aftercare directors very happy when they get these kinds of donations. Sunday School teachers are happy to get leftover yarn donations too.

I'd like to downsize a little bit, but I'm one of those people who sees yarn, likes yarn, then takes said yarn home. It might sit there for months til I decide what to do with it. I've literally come back 6 months later and used stashed yarn. I also have a Hobby Lobby gift card from Christmas . . .

I too have told myself no new yarn this year unless it's to go with something I already have and need more to finish a project. Otherwise, I have got to get my stash under control. A few weeks ago, I gathered my yarn from all over the house and put it in one closet. I knew I had a lot of yarn, but nothing near the amount I it actually was. I think I went a bit overboard with all the clearance sales last summer. I'm sure it will take up a year or more to use up the yarn.

I'm about as bad with my fabric and I'm hoping to use a bunch of that up this year too.

Of course those are legitimate reasons to buy yarn and thread! I try to keep my "buy no new yarn till the old is used" resolution every year... and i always fall off the wagon. :lol

I'm really trying to use up what I have before buying new but am having a very difficult time. I want to make bibs for my new grandbaby (due in March) and my 1 year old grandbaby, but I need cotton for that . . . I don't have any cotton . . :( . . I want to make these really neat doilys for my display case (they will look great under my carnival glass and Roseville pottery) but they take #3 thread . . . I don't have any #3 thread :( and I don't have a #2 hook :( - - - would these be considered "exceptions" (and therefore allowable?) to the no more new rule I have imposed upon myself? I'm needing justification assistance here :devil

I organized my yarn a couple of months before Christmas to see what I needed to use up as Christmas gifts and now I need to go back and do it again. I am on a no buying restriction right now until I can get things under control, but I just found out that Hobby Lobby has Caron SS on sale for 99 cents, so I might have to go and take a peek. We will see. I am trying to be good and use up what I have.

I actually cleaned my craft room up yesterday and WOW do I have alot of scarps of yarn and I actually THREW OUT my tangles masses. I must be sick lol, but they did need to go *sigh* So I found out I only have 1 13 gallon rubbermaid tote of scraps...ITS TIME FOR MORE YARN!!

BUT I was not able to do as much with my fabric and fabric scraps. I dont dare tell the sizes of the bins but there are 5 of them.

At least all my ribbons were able to fit in 1 5 gallon bin lol lol

I think I have an addiction problem lol lol lol

DH says it needs to stop lol lol lol

why I ask? lol

oops forgot about ALL the yarn and thread in my yarn armoir and WIP basket up here lol lol... nahh I still need more

I am using up my yarn, right befor the new year i went through my yarn to assess and see what I could use it for. I'm using a bunch on the items for the charity blitz, and a TON on the scap stripey ghan for my hubby, and I'm using a bunch on the yo-yo ghan for my neice, and I have some set aside for lapghans I want to make for people for Christmas this year, I have been very crochet productive lately, and even my hubby commented on my lack of stash.

my stash is currently 2 10 gal totes, to large drawers in a plastic drawer thing, and then 1/4 of a larger tote upstairs that is basically novelty yarns that will be worked into hats and scarves.

did i answer the question?? yes, i'm clearing out my stash.

Archived