Why I Now Prefer Crochet Over Knitting

cgd

No, this isn't a flame thread--I have enormous respect for knitting. Other threads, plus a knitted cap, spurred my thoughts on this. In one thread I was saying how impatient I've gotten with knitting. Yesterday and today I knitted my BIL a camo cap for his upcoming birthday. Thanks to mistakes, dropped stitches, having to frog and recover said dropped stitches, and the slow nature of knitting, it took several hours to get it done. OTOH, I can crochet a cap in 2 hours, 3 if I mess up.

I'm not disparaging anyone who prefers knitting. In fact, I love the look of knits, I love the stretchiness of knitted stuff. I admire those who can make a cabled sweater, or do fair-isle--y'all are amazing. I'll probably knit the occasional camo cap for guys in my life as they request them. (However, I'm glad, however, that crocheted beanies are now worn more by guys!). I guess I'm just over wanting to knit much anymore. I get frustrated doing 3-4 gauge swatches that I'm out of desire to do the actual project! :lol

I'm also not the most patient person in the world, to the point where I border on project ADD. My only UFO is an afghan, which I said I'd get back to after Christmas was over. Of course, b-days are coming up in February and March, so I'm getting stuff made for them. I suppose, though, that I'm doing good if I only have one UFO.

I thought my preference for crochet was because I've done it longer and it comes easier to me. But the time and my knitting gauge issues have also combined with that. I'm glad I have the basic skill of knitting, but will be a hooker first and foremost. :hook

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hug

I feel your pain. I also love knitted items (especially those big giant bulky cabled fishermen's sweaters) but every time I try to knit stuff, I end up frogging it and picking up a hook to do it faster. Perhaps it's my lack of experience with knitting, but it feels so awkward and slow compared to crocheting. Maybe I can beg my stepmom to make one of those sweaters for me. She's really good with the needles.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I saw this thread and wanted to say something. I am currently working on a scarf that is being knitting and another one that is being crocheted. My mother knits and is showing me how to knit. She got me for xmas some yarn and a set of size 15 knitting needles. I bought myself the same yarn differnet color for the crochet. I feel I am doing better at the crochet but I think it is easy for me because I noticed that the way I was holding the yarn is similar to the way I hold the thread when I tat. I like doing both but I think when it comes down to it I might be crocheting more. I like the idea partly because my mother cant crochet. I love it when I can do something she cant ;)

Yvonne

I don't know how to knit, but I definitely like the look of it, but I am a crocheter by heart. My SIL knits and we kindof have an agreement that I will crochet and she will knit. That way we kindof cover our bases. I will probably try to knit one day, but I am completely absorbed in crochet right now.

Oh my gosh, Fiddleyarn...MY son says the same thing - Mom's "yarning" ...haha. I just cracked up the first time he said it. But it's a good description.

I cannot learn to knit to save my life. Of course I remember having a really hard time learning to crochet. But it wasn't as foreign a feeling to me as "trying" to knit is. And I have NO patience..and have to set my work down frequently, which I know is not good for knitting.

Ok I am off to do some more yarnin! :)

I learned to knit 50 years ago....haven't got any better at it!!! I'm continually dropping stitches!!! When I finally get something finished it looks like the cats had dragged it around the room!!! I keep trying and I keep getting frustrated!!! Glad to know I'm not alone!!

I learned to knit first when I was a kid and although I haven't picked up a pair of knitting in quite a few years now (I have issues right now...and am holding a stupid grudge) I still like knitting...BUT...after I learned to crochet...I'm an impatient person and I get my instant gratification high off of crochet...knitting is great and I'm fairly good at it, but it is slow...

I never learned to knit. I got a video once and taught myself to cast on and do the knit stitch, but after crocheting for so long, holding two needles was just too cumbersome for my hands. After trying once, I am now totally amazed at how people do it. its like trying to stear my car with my ears, just not happening. I have a lot of respect for knitters, even though some knitters(not all!) dont return the respect for crocheters. And I love the look and stretchy-ness of knit items. But I'll leave it to those who can do it. I'll die with my hook in my hand :hook

I agree, I learned how to knit before I crocheted, and it was too much with two needles. I freind made a crocheted layette for my son and I asked her to show me. It was like a duck taking to water. I haven't picked up needle since thou I have them in my basket just in case. MIL use to knit and when she lived with us before she passed, she loved knitting. I hold on to the needles more because of her than wanting to pick them up again.

I learned to knit because I wanted to knit socks, but it really just required more energy, effort, and patience than I have right now. Maybe in another phase of my life I will be ready to knit regularly, but I'm going to stick with crochet for the time being.

:hookI certainly understand your frustration with knitting. I knit and crochet and keep coming back to crochet. I do have a hat on the needles right now and it is looking pretty good, but I have finished 2 or 3 small projects in the same time with crochet! Some things look good knitted, and some crocheted. :yarn It is good to at least know how to do both, I think. Find what YOU like and stick with it.

I have always crocheted, I guess you know what's in you heart to do, by what you do the most!

I have a funny story about that, when I was in fifth grade we had to do a show in front of the class and tell about what we liked, and our hobbies. We had one of those felt boards where you stick the felted items on, remember those? All they had for one of my hobbies was a picture of a ball of yarn with knitting needles in it, I was so mad. So when I did my presentation, I kept saying, I CROCHET, and made this big point that it wasn't knitting that I did. :yarn

I have since learned to knit, but honestly I hope I don't offend but I find that the knitting community is not for me. I always wanted to post things I made in acrylic, :eek and that's kind of looked down on with knitters I've found, unfortunately. It was also tedious for me to find the right yarns, needles for the projects, etc. With crochet, just change your hook. If you don't have it, Wal-Mart carries them. Easy peasy.

I heart :bheart crochet. Great thread!

That's a great story about your 5th-grade presentation! It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between the two. Crochet definitely doesn't get the respect that knitting does. I don't know how someone can look at a beautiful, intricate lace wedding dress or tablecloth and not respect crochet. And yes, some folks do look down on acrylic, though I'm not sure why. It's durable, doesn't itch like wool, and is practical and easy on the budget. I mean, can you imagine making a camo cap for a guy from wool and telling him, "you need to hand-wash this." :lol Also, I live in Mississippi, where you might be able to wear wool a week or two during the winter without breaking into a sweat. I can't spend $100 on yarn to make one garment either--not sure I would want to if I could. I've harped on that before in other threads.

As many of you said, it boils down to what you love and want to do. Both are great crafts, so to borrow from Fiddleyarn, let's all yarn on, however we choose to do that. Thanks for the thoughts.

I learned to knit first and I really enjoy it. But....I get bored with a project easily and never quite finished any afghans I tried to make. So I decided I wanted to learn to crochet and found some online videos to teach me. I really like how fast crochet goes! I have already finished one ghan and started a baby blanket and am halfway through in the course of 4 weeks!

So, I like both and will do both for specific projects. Definitely crochet for blankets! As for yarn snobbery...I don't get it. I've bought the more pricey stuff and it's ok but I haven't found much that's as soft as Caron Simply Soft which I love!

Crochet just warms the heart! :c9 And I love what you said CGD! Our motto here at the 'ville should be, "Yarn on, hookers! Yarn on!":lol :cheer

I learned to knit first. I taught myself with the help of the internet and books. I do enjoy it.

I decided that I wanted to learn to crochet, so I could make afghans. I taught myself from the internet.

I truly enjoy both knitting and crocheting, but find myself crocheting so much more than knitting. I prefer most knitted garments to crocheted ones though. That's just me. I also prefer knitted dishcloths.

The yarn snobbery? I think it's just plain stupid. You have to do what your budget allows and mine sure doesn't allow the expensive stuff. I love Simply Soft and pretty much only use that. I can't stand the Red Heart though, it's just too rough. (that doesn't make me a snob, does it?)

I love them both, I learned knitting when I was younger, I learned crocheting 5-6 years ago. I like knitting when I make outfits (even it takes longer) I love crochet when I make doilies, lace edges, table clots. etc. I think they both requires alot of work.

Demet

Red Heart softens up once you're done with your project and you toss it in the dryer. (or wash it)

I happen to like the stiffness when I'm crocheting. The yarn doesnt get all splitty on me as often.

Whenever I make something, when I'm finished I'll put it in the dryer, sometimes with a fabric softener sheet, but since I ran out of those, I've just been using the dryer by itself. The heat from the dryer softens up whatever they put on the yarn that makes it stiff. A fabric softener sheet makes it even softer. (I need to remember to buy some new ones)

i learned to crochet and knit (just the basics of knit) by working with my grandmother. she crocheted most of the things that she made. i've tried several times to knit scarves but without much success. i'm too slow. i love crocheting. it is faster for me and i feel good about the things that i make - no holes, etc. i also like the softer yarns. they just feel good in your hands. red heart does soften up after it is washed and dried.

"Red Heart softens up once you're done with your project and you toss it in the dryer. (or wash it) "

YAY...I'm so glad to hear it as I'm making a baby blanket with it right now and was wondering if I should stop. I'll keep going.

Archived