newbie's first ever thread doily!

cherrypicker

I thought I would have a go at a doily, I made it with fine white yarn, and a 3mm hook.......I have started the same patern with fine cotton and a very small hook, im quite pleased with it, I supprised myself with how it came out!

finishedyarndoiley.jpg

here is the begining of the fine cotton one.........

threadcrochetdoiley3hoursin.jpg

id love to know what the first things you made were, and am I doing it right?

I think this is absolutely fine, a very pretty beginning! :yes

Just pay attention to gauge - as a beginner, I used to make the first rows of my doilies much too tight, so they ended up looking like caps. Yours look flat, so you're better at it than I used to be... :think Good start!!

The other secret is the size of the needle - did I see it right that you were using a #20 thread? I use 0.75 needle for that (European size), but you may be more comfortable with a bigger needle.

Have fun, all throughout this happy Christmas season and after! :yay

thanks for the tips, yes Im using a 0.75 needle....so thats good I got that right! and luckily they are flat, I need to think about what to stiffen them with, Ive seen some dylon spray on starch, I wonder if that would do, thanks again for your input.....I have a feeling that blocking them is a real art too! (I have mine pinned to a cushion at the moment. Merry christmas to you too. :)

Archived