Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

Linda- here are instructions for increasing

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=517579&postcount=257

Also here are instructions for a size 2/3x

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=530047&postcount=358

hope these help :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, you don't use a slip stitch!

After you have created that one sleeve start row, you just do your usual HDC into the 1st stitch of the back piece. work your HDC across the back that is already worked and then head off the other side chaining to create the sleeve for the other side.

\

OK - now I'm really confused.

I'll have to muddle through that on another day because I could have swore that was in Greek. :)

Okay, I finally found time to post photos of my two sweaters that I made. I have never crocheted a sweater before, and I am pleased at how easy these were. I made them for some little preemie twin boys that belong to my son's manager at Starbucks. I gave the sweaters to him today and I was thrilled to learn that his wife also crochets. It is nice to know that the recipient of the gift appreciates and understands the work that goes into making it. He said he gave her some Blue Sky Alpaca and a birch crochet hook for part of her Christmas. Don't you just love to hear of hubbies out there who support and enable their wife's crochet habit?!?! :clap

I used Caron's Simply Soft to make these.

DSCN10621.jpg

HI there! :waving

I secretly started this CAL but didn't announce it for fear that I'd start it and then never have a finished product. I still don't have a finished product, but it is nearing completion LOL! I started it last night, and after not paying attention to what I was doing and having to tear out a few rows here and there it's ready to be seamed and the edges done. I used Caron Simply Soft in Autum Red, single strand, and an H hook. I wanted it to be a smaller size, I'm going to make a few of them and donate them to the hospital that my aunt works in. Haven't decided what color to do the trim in yet, or what to do for buttons (make the yarn buttons or put real ones on). But I have plenty of stash yarn that can be used, and one thing I've notied from reading nearly every post on this CAL is that you can be versatile with the trim. Meaning, it doesn't have to be the same type of yarn and it will still look great!

There are so many adorable BICOs out there that you've all done! I apprecited looking at the pictures, they were very inspiring :)

I'll post pictures eventually, and maybe even get around to sharing them LOL.

I actually started this sweater not with this CAL in mind, but now that I have discovered there is a CAL for this sweater....HELP!!!!

I am a new crocheter and I am stuck at the point where you attach the first sleeve. I attached my chain to where it said according to the picture, but now I am lost as to where to go from here and on the next row it said I would be hdc 52 or 62 (don't have it right in front of me), but anyway, I'm not getting that many stitches with the next row. I believe I only counted 46.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I love everybody's pics and I really want to finish this.

Thanks

I am home now and have had an opportunity to read some more of the posts for this sweater and I came across a post that answered my question. Someone else apparently had the same problem I did and Flyinghooks answered her question beautifully so I say thank you, thank you, thank you.

\

OK - now I'm really confused.

I'll have to muddle through that on another day because I could have swore that was in Greek. :)

I hope you are no longer confused! I wasn't awake when I answered "yes you've got" it before, I just wasn't thinking. Good thing Darski was awake and alert!

Just to beat a dead horse... (since I don't see a response saying you understand)

After you make that chain instead of attaching it with a slip stitch you just attach it back to the body of the sweater with a hdc right into the stitch where you just fastened off, then hdc in the next stitch and every st across the back of the sweater. Then you make the chain that will be the other sleeve's foundation chain.

I hope this helps!! Let us know

I am home now and have had an opportunity to read some more of the posts for this sweater and I came across a post that answered my question. Someone else apparently had the same problem I did and Flyinghooks answered her question beautifully so I say thank you, thank you, thank you.

You're welcome! Can't wait to see you sweater!

I just need to say thank you to all who have been helping with different sizing, etc. I have made two BICOs so far, and I'm addicted to them. They are so so so easy to make, and fast (and not expensive!). I am interested in trying to make them for my own children, but so far I've only been brave enough to follow the pattern with a J hook so they're probably about a 3-month size. Of course, everyone I know has had 5-6 pound babies lately, so apparently I should have been learning to make preemie sizes!!

398072362_cb80bf7bc5.jpg

I can't remember the name of the color I used for this most recent one (it's Homespun, though). the edging is a leftover sport weight baby yarn. I did use only one strand of yarn for the edging. I think I'm going to try a more decorative edge the next time. I've got quite a few more to make, so I really appreciate all of the great suggestions here. Thanks!

I just need to say thank you to all who have been helping with different sizing, etc. I have made two BICOs so far, and I'm addicted to them. They are so so so easy to make, and fast (and not expensive!). I am interested in trying to make them for my own children, but so far I've only been brave enough to follow the pattern with a J hook so they're probably about a 3-month size. Of course, everyone I know has had 5-6 pound babies lately, so apparently I should have been learning to make preemie sizes!!

398072362_cb80bf7bc5.jpg

I can't remember the name of the color I used for this most recent one (it's Homespun, though). the edging is a leftover sport weight baby yarn. I did use only one strand of yarn for the edging. I think I'm going to try a more decorative edge the next time. I've got quite a few more to make, so I really appreciate all of the great suggestions here. Thanks!

I really never get tired of looking at these ya know? How incredibly CUTE this is! I just LOVE the colors!

Maureen! I love it in green!! It turned out fabulous. :clap And, no we never tire of seeing BICOs in this CAL, do we?

Busymomof7, I really like those two in a preemie size!! How cool is that? Maybe you could meet the mom at Starbucks and crochet together? (In a few years... when the twins are bigger... maybe?) :D

Tina

Ok everyone, I have finished my very first BICO - YYYYAAAAYYYY!!!!!!:cheer:clap

I am so proud of myself. This pattern was very simple although I will admit that when using the homespun yarn it was difficult at times to see where my stitches were. I did get off track with my count, but I pressed forward anyway. Then I ran out of the light colored yarn I was using and had to choose another color when I couldn't find anymore in the store. I wasn't sure how it was going to look, but I love it and I think the black border really brings it out. I even have a picture (but it doesn't do the sweater justice). I can't wait to do another one.

BICO.jpg

I do have a question about posting pictures, I notice that some pictures that are posted you can click on them to see a bigger picture. Can someone tell me how to do that. I would like to be able to show a more detailed shot of what I make.

Thanks!

I am so proud of myself. This pattern was very simple although I will admit that when using the homespun yarn it was difficult at times to see where my stitches were. I did get off track with my count, but I pressed forward anyway. Then I ran out of the light colored yarn I was using and had to choose another color when I couldn't find anymore in the store. I wasn't sure how it was going to look, but I love it and I think the black border really brings it out. I even have a picture (but it doesn't do the sweater justice). I can't wait to do another one.

BICO.jpg

I do have a question about posting pictures, I notice that some pictures that are posted you can click on them to see a bigger picture. Can someone tell me how to do that. I would like to be able to show a more detailed shot of what I make.

Thanks!

When I first looked at the pic I was like, how COOL is that? It's in two tone, and then to find out you ran out of one color, I was like, that was divine providence! :lol

Check this link to help you with the pictures:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44217&highlight=picture

BICO.jpg

Thanks!

The color change looks planned...don't tell!! We won't!:hook

It looks great, Tracy. I like the two toned. That is part of art, you know. Turning a mistake into part of the art. (At least someone told me that... I wouldn't know myself...) :lol (I meant the artist part- I make mistakes all the time!)

I think it's wonderful!

Tina

Thanks everybody. I really couldn't have done this without you guys. They don't have classes beyond scarves where I live so finding this forum was a god-send and I am having such a wonderful time. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I am gaining more confidence to make things I didn't think I would be able to make. I saw this pattern a while back and my first thought was I couldn't do it because it looked too complicated, but I couldn't believe how easy it really is and how quickly it works up.

Thanks again! :hug

398072362_cb80bf7bc5.jpg

So cute..very St. Patty's Day

Here is one that made ages ago.

http://her.blogware.com/blog/HerCraftyCreations/_archives/2006/3/12/1816222.html

and another - I created an entire set!

http://her.blogware.com/blog/HerCraftyCreations/_archives/2006/4/7/1868095.html

It's fun to see how well loved this pattern is. I had forgotten about it until I saw the post. I may have to make another! Now I just need a pattern for a toddler that is as easy and fun as this one!

BICO's come in every size...

sch1.jpg

I know some people made them for bears so I just knew that Dora would need one at some point. it really is a BICO, just a V-neck version :wlol

HA! I knew it when I looked at it!!! LOL

Archived