I'm going to make a ONE OF EACH square!! Anyone crazy enough to join me?

donnalynn2

Ok, I decided that I want to make one HUGE afghan and am planning on making each and every 12 inch square I can get my hands on and then some! I'm sure I'll have plenty more left to make more than just one huge ghan, but then I can put those to good use for Charity and gifts...

Anyone wanna join me? I plan on this taking me quite some time to do but I think it would be fun! Come on, there must be at least another insane person besides myself! :devil

Here's a link to all the 12 inch patterns on CPC. Let's start there! If you have others, please let me know!

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/12in_squares.php

Donna - you are insane!!!! :eek

What a great challenge you are putting upon yourself. I would love to make an afghan but I just found a real nice and easy pattern for make a shawl and now I need to get some done for the holidays.

Maybe next time I will join you :cheer :cheer :cheer

Ooooh I'll join! I actually have 3 balls of chunky sitting in my lap trying to work themselves into a baby blanket and it is sooo frustrating...But I was thinking they'd make a cute 'ghan for my new bed. :hook

Do we have to use all different squares, or can we use, say, our favorite 5 or 6?

Welcome aboard everyone!!!

I will post links in the first post so they are easy to find and then we can start workin the squares!!! I cannot imagine this thing being done anytime soon. I think this will have to be like a year-long project. There are a TON of squares out there to make!

I am going to do all of the 12 inch squares I can personally find including some that I have in pattern books. But I'm starting with all the ones on CPC first! That'll take me a long time to do as it is!

I figure this is also a cool way to do some serious stash busting!

:cheer This sounds crazy enough for me,since I have a short attention span,and love to make squares.I'll join!Are you going to uses the same kind of yarn-or mix it up?After I finish the scarf I am working on-off to Walmart-I am ready to begin the cozy crazycrocheted squares.

some say the world is hanging on by a thread-I say a thread is all I need.

Oh...Very, very tempting. Squares are easiest for me to get done but I can just see the reactions of my mother and boyfriend if I start another project now. But...I might join in on this once I have a couple of my WIPs done.

Donnalynn, first of all, what is CPC?

And second, do you plan to make each 12" square using a different pattern stitch? I once saw a pic of a knitted afghan doing just that and it was really neat.

Another question: I've never done this before. I would assume all the yarn should be close to the same weight??? In other words you wouldn't make one square with 4-ply worsted and another with 3-ply baby yarn, would you? Unless you doubled the baby yarn--that might work.

I would love to join in and will try to make a square here and there but notice my WIPs (and that's not a complete list!) and UFOs (not complete list either). I think I'll forget about the WIMs for now.

Here's to Happy :hook'ing!!

Aunt Bubbles, I knew you couldn't stay away! Glad to have ya aboard! :hook

Ok, CPC is Crochet Pattern Central and if you click HERE you will see all of the free patterns on the net for 12 inch squares. That's where I'm starting.

I would recommend using the same kind of yarn but you can mix it up. I will be joining using Crochet Dude's Dudessembly and using Caron One Pounder in White for that. I plan on using all colors of yarn, whatever I can get my hands on. There are really no rules to this CAL, just doing as many of the 12 inch square patterns as I can find and make them into a big ghan! (And several smaller ones! LOL)

I'm new here. My first post in fact, but I wanted to post something here so I can track what you all are doing. I'm not going to join this CAL, but who knows. I might change my mind later.

:cheer Thise if for all you brave souls embarking on this adventure.

*sigh* I shouldn't. I tried to resist. Really, I did...But fall break is next week and I can't take all my big projects to my mother's with me...So, it looks like I will be joining in on this one despite what everyone says. I'll find some way to talk my boyfriend into buying more yarn...Maybe I can make one for him...*goes off to think*

What a cool idea! :) I'm not going to join now, I have waaaay too many wip's, but after the new year, when I'm done with everyone's Christmas presents and everything, then I might just join in. :) I was thinking that I might do this, but send the squares to charities instead of making a blanket. I know you're making a blanket for charity, which is going to be great! Good luck to everyone who does this!

Victoria

I'm with Vickitoria. I'm in on this but it will have to wait until the new year. I just bought the 200 crichet squares book and I was already going to make every square in it for a hugh afghan for myself, but I think I'll wait on that project and go with the 12 inch squares on CPC. (only because it will take up more yarn and maybe I can FINALLY get rid of all the scraps I have.):lol (I'm laughing because that will never happen)

Donnalynn, you do realize there are 130 12 inch squares on CPC. If I did the math right, you will have a 10 foot blanket!!!!!!!

If you kept going, you could cover your whole house and get into the Guniess Book of World records.

Go For IT, Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Vicki, How's that little guy?? E-mail me sometime. I just realized how much I missed you when i saw your post.

Zella

I'm with Vickitoria. I'm in on this but it will have to wait until the new year. I just bought the 200 crichet squares book and I was already going to make every square in it for a hugh afghan for myself, but I think I'll wait on that project and go with the 12 inch squares on CPC. (only because it will take up more yarn and maybe I can FINALLY get rid of all the scraps I have.):lol (I'm laughing because that will never happen)

Donnalynn, you do realize there are 130 12 inch squares on CPC. If I did the math right, you will have a 10 foot blanket!!!!!!!

If you kept going, you could cover your whole house and get into the Guniess Book of World records.

Go For IT, Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Vicki, How's that little guy?? E-mail me sometime. I just realized how much I missed you when i saw your post.

Zella

***! I hadn't thought of that before! What a fantastic idea!!! Wouldn't it be cool to get crochet into the world records? LOL

If I counted right there are 135 12 inch patterns on CPC alone! In order to get all those squares done in a year I would have to make at least 2-3 a week! This doesn't even take into addition all the ones I've seen in magazines I have and such.

I was also thinking of making all the 6inch squares since putting 4 of those together made a 12 inch. Ok, it's official, I have completely gone off the deep end!

This may take me a couple of years to complete, but it sounds like so much fun that I think I'm going to have to try and do it!

VERY tempting offer. I do have a HUGE stash that DH would like me to get rid of so that we have more room in the closet. But, way too many WIPs right now. I am going to follow your progress though. If you are still going in the spring, I may join you!:hook

Becky

Donna & anyone else, I just thought I would tell you incase one of the patterns that you might use from cpc called "Cherries Jubilee 12" Square had some mistakes on round 3 but I e-mailed the designer and she has now gone in and made the corrections. I thought it was such a pretty square and it just wasn't coming out like it should. Just thought I would give you that little bit of information. Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived