I'm going to make a ONE OF EACH square!! Anyone crazy enough to join me?

donnalynn2

Thanks! That one was on my immediate list to make. I've printed out 7 for this week...I think that's how I'm going to do it.

Are you guys just going down the list starting at the top? Or are you making the ones that look really interesting first? :hook

Last night I completed 2 squares.I did the square from Pricilla Hewitt's flat braid joining method.(I just made it larger)Next I am going to do her Nordic Star Aphgan square.It is 7"-but I am planning to repeat the last row(in alternating colors) until it is large enough.Do you guys think that is a good idea or not?Also about how many squares make an aphgan.I would like to make 3 before the holidays,so I selecting some super easy and quick squares.:lol some say the world is hanging on by a thread-I say a thread is all I need. Leslie

How's everyone doing? I have 5 done so far but put this down for a few days last week trying to work on my hubby's christmas present. I am enjoying working up the squares though. It's really interesting to see how they are all put together!

I started with my first square last night. It's my favorite- the butterfly garden square at CPC. :clap

I love that square. It works up so quickly and looks good.

have you tried the trick of making a flower out of the centre circle - I love it that way too.

I am so tempted to join this but I just can't right now, although I am working my way through most of them anyway...sigh

:hook

I love that square. It works up so quickly and looks good.

have you tried the trick of making a flower out of the centre circle - I love it that way too.

I am so tempted to join this but I just can't right now, although I am working my way through most of them anyway...sigh

:hook

You know, the cool thing about this CAL is that you can make tons of things out of the squares and it's really going to be a long one, so there's no pressure to get it finished right away. I expect it'll take me at least a year to do them all and that also allows me time to put this down for a few days here and there to work on other things...

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have problems with Marlo’s 12" squares? I seem to! I’ve started several and just ripped them out. Finally, on 11/1, I sent a couple of emails to her about the August Aran Square and have not received an answer yet. I joined her Yahoo group but don't understand yet how to use it.

In case anyone has tried the August Aran, here are my problems with it (I hope it makes sense--it doesn't to me now!):

In Rnd 9, there’s a dc in the ch 1 space between the 2 sets of cross stitches. In Rnd 10, when making the "V" stitch (that's what I call dc, ch 1, dc) over the cross stitch what do you do with the dc from Rnd 9 that's in the ch 1 space from Rnd 8? Also in Rnd 10, after completing the 1st 2 popcorns, working the corner and after the next "dc, ch 1, dc, sk next 2 sts" -- shouldn't you ch 2 when you sk 2? It's the 4th occurrence of "sk 2 sts" in Rnd 10.

I’ve completed 3 squares, almost 4, all 4-ply worsted:

• Bobby’s Square in Bernat's Yellow

• Arches in green, some leftover w/o a label

• Iron Cross in Bernat's Winter White and Wky (blue) (which is Marlo’s—finally got 1 of hers done!)

• Cat Tracks (almost complete) in Coats & Clarks Shaded Denim, variegated.

I’m enjoying this too much because it’s something I can start and complete! However, I’ve got to set my mind to finishing my other projects.

Thanks, if anyone can offer some help!

In Rnd 9, there’s a dc in the ch 1 space between the 2 sets of cross stitches. In Rnd 10, when making the "V" stitch (that's what I call dc, ch 1, dc) over the cross stitch what do you do with the dc from Rnd 9 that's in the ch 1 space from Rnd 8?

when you make a Vstitch, you create 3 stitches where only one was before so it hangs over the sts around it. That dc is (I believe) a place holder

Also in Rnd 10, after completing the 1st 2 popcorns, working the corner and after the next "dc, ch 1, dc, sk next 2 sts" -- shouldn't you ch 2 when you sk 2? It's the 4th occurrence of "sk 2 sts" in Rnd 10.

When I read the pattern, I made that chain -I'm guessing it is a typo as it makes no sense without it.

I made the square and put those in so it makes sense on the 11th round when you get there. others may disagree and I bow to the wisdom of others on this,

This is not a square I would use but there are parts of it that are rather nice.

Darski, thanks for your response. I haven't thoroughly read your answer yet but will do that, try again and let you know the results. :ty

I want to make the butterfly square, too. It is so pretty!

In Rnd 9, there’s a dc in the ch 1 space between the 2 sets of cross stitches. In Rnd 10, when making the "V" stitch (that's what I call dc, ch 1, dc) over the cross stitch what do you do with the dc from Rnd 9 that's in the ch 1 space from Rnd 8? ....

• 1 month later...
Question-my 12" squares are turning not exactly the same size!(I am a bit new at this)What should I do?

Hi, Leslie. I keep a ruler right next to me when I crochet.

For squares made in rounds: when my square is almost done, about 11 to 11.5," I measure it and end off with rounds that will take it to the right size. That is, if I need an extra quarter inch all around, I finish with a round of sc. If I need 5/8" more all around I make another round of dc. With some practice you'll get the hang of this.

For squares made in rows, I always make it narrower (fewer stitches across) than I think I will need. That way I don't have the unfortunate experience of my square turning out too big. Then I work enough rows to make it a square. Then I work a round around it to make it the right size.

This is all simpler than it sounds. Experiment and have fun! Remember yarn is forgiving. It stretches and covers a lot of mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading through this and I'm in I think a square a week sounds good to me since i have so many things I don't know what I do next

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't seen this CAL before, but I think I will join up! I had already gotten the idea of doing a smaller afghan out of either 12 0r 20 12 inch squares..haven't quite decided. I have two made already and have been searching for more. I am doing it all in the same RH Claret. I am trying to find squares that don't have excessive amounts of holes so that it will be a warm coverup when I'm sitting in the recliner. These are the two patterns I've tried so far. I'll post pics of my own work later.

http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/BobbysSquare.asp

http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/winterslace.asp

Archived