little grabber

yarnlover66

I posted a message earlier about the size of yarn to be used for this project. I'm not sure I'm very happy with my choice. I made this thing called little grabber. It is used like a pot holder to pick up hot lids from a skillet.

It called for 4-ply cotton, so I thought I'd try my cotton I use to make dishcloths. I think it makes it too thick and too BIG. I'm not sure what size it is actually supposed to be because I've never seen these before. Mine is 6" across. The picture that comes with the pattern makes it appear much smaller.

Has anyone ever made one before?

How big are they supposed to be?

What kind of yarn did you use?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/kitchen%20crochet/littlegrabber2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/kitchen%20crochet/littlegrabber3.jpg

This was just my sample one. I thought i'd make these along with a hanging dish towel for the ladies in my office for Christmas.

Hey Teresa

Were back to "what size is cotton" again. I have been trying to work this one out for a while. I don't get many of the brands you do but from looking online at the photos DMC Senso, Aunt Lydias Cable Cotton/Fashion etc appear to be what I all 4ply.

Bernat Handicrafter on the other hand is more like what I call 8ply here in Aus. I have seen other chunkier cotton yarns but can't remember the names!

I have no idea what you used to make this, it could also be a hook issue. I can use 4ply cotton with anything from a 3mm-4.5mm without a worry. That's a rather large span in hook size.

But as for your grabber I think it's sweet. I've never seen that concept before and think it's a great idea! We make towel toppers here from 4ply more than size 10 so they'd all match great if you're doing the same?

I've never made one (or used one) but it looks about right to me - consider the size of your palm and the way you might grab lids or handles...I have small hands and I think I'd rather have something a bit more substantial than something too flimsy! :)

-- Michelle

I like it the way yours turned out...I agree with Michelle, better a bit big than too flimsy and not doing the job...I'd stay with what works (and to top it off, yours is really pretty!!!)

Here is one that you can order on a cd that looks a lot smaller and like it was made from regular worsted weight acrylic yarn. I don't want to pay for something so tiny. I might be able to figure this out on my own.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/columnists/harlean.html

It is the little blue hat on the right hand side if you scroll down.

Teresa,

I love your lid cozie!! I've made the one at CrochetNMore .. mine turned out about 5 inches (I crochet tightly) and it works beautifully to keep me from burning myself, something I do frequently. If you don't like the size .. just go down one hook size or so. I used Lion Kitchen Cotton for mine .. as for the one on the cd .. personally I think that would make a better Barbie doll hat or fridgie, than a practical handle hat.

Have you tried a G hook instead of a H hook??

On Crochetnmore, she doesn't say the size of it finished. You could email her and ask. She also doesn't say what size the pan is.

I would personally say that 4 to 6 inches should be big enough depending on the size of the frying pan.

Yours is really cute. And the pattern does say 4 ply cotton yarn.....So I think you got the right stuff.

:manyheart

I grabbed some yarn from my stash that was more comparable to sport weight yarn to take with me to my "stitching group" to experiment with. I am much happier this time with my little grabber hat. It is only 4 inches and fits more snuggly on my pan lid. I also used a "G" hook. I will have to go to Hobby Lobby and get some solild colors. I think I'd even like that better. You could see the design better.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/kitchen%20crochet/littlegrabberhat1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/kitchen%20crochet/littlegrabberhat2.jpg

looks heaps better Teresa, even though I thought the first one was cute. I think it could have been a hook size prob. I looked up the conversion and a H hook is 5mm. With the 4ply cotton I have that would be much too big. I have used it with a 4.5mm to get a nice lacey look, but for a tighter pattern I'd use a 3.75mm or 4mm (F or G in your sizes). I was going to make up this pattern myself after I finished testing for Kristie but it seems you're hapy now?

The first one was cute, but it was way too bulky and slid around on the lid unstil staying put. I'm anxious to see what solid colored one would look like now. Think these will work for gifts for my office? My ladies are all 50+ years old. I also thought I'd make a hanging towel to go along with this.

Thoughts?

I think they'll make great gifts along with the towel topper. You could even do a wash cloth each if you had time, or a pot holder/trivet. They could have a whole matching kitchen set (ok, so a bit ambitious for collegue gifts at xmas... :D).

Two years ago I made them each a dishcloth and gave them a bottle of JOY dish detergent.

Last year I made them an angel from a purchased Christmas towel and potholder.

I'm trying to come up with something different, but it seems I have this kitchen thing going......lol There are 8-9 ladies I give gifts to and they all have different personalities/likes/dislikes, but I like to give them all the same thing. That makes it hard sometimes. :lol

Has anyone ever made one before?

How big are they supposed to be?

What kind of yarn did you use?

I have made several of these. I love this pattern. It's really easy and quick to make.

Mine is 5" across. I do tend to crochet a little tight. Mine fits around the "button" handle of my crockpot and my favorite casserole dish. The ruffle part protects the palm of the hand from touching the hot lid, so I would think that yours being 6" would do just that.

I have used Peaches & Creme and Sugar 'n Cream, the same cotton I use for potholders, dishclothes and towel toppers. I use a "G" hook.

I can't post the pic here, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, but there is a pic on my blog under "Kitchen Items For Kelli" if you would like to see it.

I hope this helps. I think you did a wonderful job, and I love the colors.

yours looks WAY better than mind does. That sugar and cream cotton splits and it is so thick to crochet with. I might give it another shot this weekend.

I may have second thoughts about giving these now after seeing your little tissue totes. Those might be a cute idea instead. ho hum. I'd better get started--I also have things to make for halloween for them as well. I spoil them rotten! What would they do if I ever left!!

yours looks WAY better than mind does. That sugar and cream cotton splits and it is so thick to crochet with. I might give it another shot this weekend.

I may have second thoughts about giving these now after seeing your little tissue totes. Those might be a cute idea instead. ho hum. I'd better get started--I also have things to make for halloween for them as well. I spoil them rotten! What would they do if I ever left!!

hopefully you will not get discouraged and try again, they are really easy to make. like shaelynnsmom said, you might want to try a smaller hook like a G, which should make it tighter and smaller.

the tissue totes were made with two strands of size 30 thread held together.

Archived