Star Blanket...a bit bigger than for baby

SeaShelly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

knitcrochetandpray,

I have decided I am finished with my star (no not really)

But I can't get it to lay flat. So I decided to stop and fasten off, I'll wash it tomorrow and see if I can get it flat. If necessary, I wil beat it VERY hard until it stays flat :yes

I hope it will make a difference. If it works, I'll go on working on it. If not, I will start a new one and try to reverse the rounds.

I'll let you know if the washing and blocking worked :sigh

I'm ready to start mine. For those of you making a larger adult-sized one, how many rows do you expect to make? And do you think it would be too much if I doubled the thread on one of these? I found a great "blended rainbow" pattern on a regular afghan and the colors are so neat - first row is purple, second is blue and purple held togther, next is blue, next is blue and green together and so-on. VERY pretty. I was thinking of doing this pattern that way but do you think it'd be too much for two strands together on the star pattern?

Thanks!

LOL..I don't know how many rows...I plan to go until I use up all the yarn I bought for it. I got 20 rows out of the first two skiens of Simply Soft so I figure 20 more (maybe a bit less because the rows are bigger>. for an adult size...maybe 50? So six skins, if you bought SS.:hook:cheer

As for holding two strands together, I don't really think that would be a problem..it is a really simple pattern with really uncomplacated stitches.

Amalapert - If I continue mine according the plan that I have in mind right now, it will be 55 rows. Here is the schema I've put together for mine (starting from the center):

SS Watermelon - 15 rows

SS Light Pink - 3 rows

SS White - 1 row

SS Light Pink - 3 rows

SS Watermelon - 15 rows

SS Light Pink - 1 row

SS White - 1 row

SS Light Pink - 1 row

SS Watermelon - 15 rows

I think it would work nicely with two strands held together, however depending on your yarn weight, you might want to go up a hook size. The colors you describe sound beautiful and I think would be very nice in this pattern. Can't wait to see pictures.

OK, I guess I asked the wrong question. Because I'm doing a double strand and using Red Heart, I went up to size N hook. This makes it a lot larger than what you guys are doing. Sooooo....I guess what I SHOULD have asked the ones doing adult sized ones is...what finished size are you shooting for? I've done 5 rows and have a 10 inch diameter. I'm doing 11 colors in all but I can make 5 of them much smaller rows and still get a cool effect. But I don't know how big to make this since I'm using a bigger hook and haven't ever done a round pattern before. So I'm all cornfused. LOL

round%20star.JPG

ALso, can someone explain how I end and start one strand at the same time while keeping the other strand going? Or should I finish off each section (that's what the original rectangle shaped one suggests)? And if you think so, what would be the best way to finish it off?

Thanks!

Laurie

UPDATE:

I think I'm gonna shoot for a 60" round. So that means if my rows are about 2" diameter each, I think I'll do 4 rows for each of the 6 solid colors. That will be 48". In between them, I will do 2 rows of the blended colors for 5 colors, adding 20" to make it almost 60" total. Sound about right?? So now the only question I have is how to change the colors - any ideas?? I'm gonna play around with it tonight and see if I come up with anything good. ;)

ALso, can someone explain how I end and start one strand at the same time while keeping the other strand going? Or should I finish off each section (that's what the original rectangle shaped one suggests)? And if you think so, what would be the best way to finish it off?

Laurie, did you already change your colors?

I made something with almost the same colorchange once, and I kept one strand going. I cut one (I always leave a long end, about 15 inches I think) and replaced that with 1 of the new color. After making a few stitches, I tied a knot with the two ends (but not very tight, so I could get it out to weave the ends in later).

I like it this way because the one strand that you don't cut, will keep the whole blanket strong :lol (my weaving in ends never feels very strong, don't know why)

yay Jimmie Lu it looks awsome. I love the way the ombre yarn patterned up. so ya going to start another one? ;)

Neat idea glinster. I would never have thought to keep them going that way. Thanks bunches.

It's beautiful Jimmie Lu!! What a pretty color scheme. ;)

Glinster, I have changed colors but I ended up doing exactly what you suggested anyway. ;) Thanks for responding! I'll post a pic later today. I'm really pleased with the blended look. :) And I never feel confident about my weaving in either. lol

Here's my "blended rainbow" round star adult sized blanket so far. ;)

star.JPG

Can you call me THICK? I'm not making a star blanket - I'm doing a round ripple!! ROFL I think I'm in the wrong CAL. ROFLROFLROFL Well thanks everyone for your help anyway! LOL

Can you call me THICK? I'm not making a star blanket - I'm doing a round ripple!! ROFL I think I'm in the wrong CAL. ROFLROFLROFL Well thanks everyone for your help anyway! LOL

:lol I didn't notice you were working on a round ripple and I DID look at your first picture :blush

Maybe it's because I am working on a round ripple too?

I really like your colors!

My blanket is washed and still won't stay flat :angry

I want to start another one but I am a bit frustrated right now. Maybe in a few days :yes

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody still working on this? I've gotten to 32 rounds I think but haven't touched in awhile since I'm trying to get Christmas stuff done. I figure I have at least another 20 or 30 more rounds to go. It's gonna be hard to have the ambition to finish this since each round is taking longer and longer to do.

I'm still working on mine sporadically...and I really need to finish it up. I just have SO MANY projects on the hook. :::blush:::

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone and I will post a completed pic ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally finished my two star afghans for my boys. I don't think I will work on the same thing twice in a row. the first Star went together quickly the second one took me two weeks to do.

Sense my boys are both toddlers I only did 30 rows on each afghan. I'll try and get pictures up when my DH gets home, though our digital camera really leaves something to be desired. LOL

• 1 month later...

CAL! You have been found. Thanks to those who bumped it for me.

I've started one of these...progress pics soon!

My darling daughter made an out loud comment yesterday when I was wrapping presents "ohhh I can not wait until I see the star ghan mom's making" :eek :eek :eek guess who forgot about it?????:yes:blush:yes

So I pulled out the hook and the yarn and as of now on Dec 23rd this is as far as I am......

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/kalbrecht7/starghan.jpg[/img"]http://starghan.jpg

Thankfully all she wants is for it to lay across her bed. She does not want it to lay underneath :think

The way I figure it I have 14 more rows....looks like I will have to get more yarn.

Wish me luck!

Archived