Star Blanket...a bit bigger than for baby

SeaShelly

Count me in! This was already on my WIM list as a Christmas gift for my sister. She's 13 and loves pink and leopard print so, I am planning to use Simply Soft in Watermelon and then a lighter pink and white. I'm also thinking about edging it with Patons Bohemian Artistic Taupes to get the leopard print look and add some texture to it.

My wonderful Fall Purse Swap partner gave me a Michael's gift card so I'm going to use some of that to buy the yarn for this and I'm hoping to make it by the store tonight.

SeaShelly -- yours looks great so far. :cheer

I can't wait to see all of the color combinations and how it makes the pattern look different for each one

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SeaShelly,

I don't know what a small care package is :blush, so I'll PM you with that question.

I have looked at those colors several times, and the names really make me hungry :yes

Sorry I wasn't more specific. :) As a RAOK I would love to send you some Simply Soft. How about 5 skeins? You pick the colors and tell me where to send them. :flower

I got my yarn from Michael's last night -- Caron SS Brites in Watermelon, Caron SS in Light Pink and Caron SS in White. I'm not quite sure how many rows of different colors I'm going to do. But I know that I want the majority of it to be the watermelon, and I'm going to follow this order for the colors:

Watermelon

Light Pink -- a thin stripe, maybe 3 rows

White -- thinner stipe, maybe just 1 row

Light Pink -- same as second section, 3 rows

Watermelon

I'll probably repeat this twice. Then I'm going to edge it in the Patons Bohemian Artistic Taupes for some texture.

I started last night and finished 5 rows. It seems really easy and I think I'm going to enjoy making this.

How is everyone else doing?

I have about 16 rows completed!!! I am also using the Caron SS Brites. Don't know the names of the colors off hand, but I got a pink, green, orange, blue, and purple. Started center w/ orange and am randomly using the other colors with varying row counts. I am really loving :manyheart it. Again, once I have time to figure out the pic posting thing, I hope to post a pic, duh! :loco But right now I have too many WIP's to spend time learning that!

Bookchick, that sounds GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see how it comes out.

I'm SO hoping that when my Grandma gets this for Christmas, my sister will take a pic of her with it. My Grandma, Dad, Sister, Brother, aunts, uncles, etc...all live about 7 hours away and I won't be able to make it home for Christmas this year.

I have about 16 rows completed!!! I am also using the Caron SS Brites. Don't know the names of the colors off hand, but I got a pink, green, orange, blue, and purple. Started center w/ orange and am randomly using the other colors with varying row counts. I am really loving :manyheart it. Again, once I have time to figure out the pic posting thing, I hope to post a pic, duh! :loco But right now I have too many WIP's to spend time learning that!

The Caron SS Brites are such *happy* colors. :cheer

I used to get frustrated with SS yarn because it would separate on me a lot, but I stopped using it with metal hooks and starting using it with acrylic ones...no more snagging or splitting. :clap

Wow, it sounds like everyone is off to a great start! I finally sat down and chose my colors and yarn for my youngest. Remember my goal is to make one throw size for each family member before Christmas. I figured if I start with the smallest, they will go faster AND if someone's doesn't get finished in time it will be mine (yeah, I robbed the cradle, 7 months older than DH).

Anyway, my youngest is a boy, 21 months old. I decided to use TLC Wiggles yarn. Not sure how this will work up, but it looks so exciting and festive and bright. I chose navy, grape, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, and cherry...kinda went for that rainbow look. Now, I am trying to decide if I want to start at the navy end or the cherry end.

Off to crochet! Babies are in bed and I finally have some "me" time!

Becky

Using varying rowcounts sounds very nice!

I have 26 rounds finished, but wonder if I should start all over again :bang

I think I made 1 dc too many before each shell, so the points were all turning to the left. This happened to me with a round ripple blanket too. I think I should have learned from that :no

glinster,

I can relate, sort of. I was getting really tired the other night, but kept thinking, "just one more row, one more." I persisted and ended up making a mistake, so I had to frog three rows, and they were not small ones 21-23. I put the blanket aside and worked on Krystals Daisy Square yesterday-very challenging, but really cool. I will have to work on the blanket today and throughout the weekend as I need to have it finished very soon (not sure when the shower is, probably need to find that out).

Ok after stalking this thread and seeing how nice they are comming I decided to jump on in and join this CAL. I have not done a CAL in a while so I am a bit rusty

I am using blues since thats whats in my stash!!! and I can FROG one project if needed.

I was able to work on mine for a couple of hours yesterday and have 13 rounds done. I've decided that I'm going to do 15 rounds of the Watermelon, then 3 light pink, 1 white, 3 light pink. I'll do 2 repeats of this and then see how big it is to decide how many rows of watermelon to end with.

I'm really enjoying this pattern -- it's simple enough to be able to watch television or have a conversation without messing up, but still varied enough that I'm not getting bored with it.

How is everyone else coming along? Can't wait to see some pictures. I'll post one after I get a few more rounds done and have some of the other colors included.

Okay, I'm in! Too many WIP's but have been drooling over this for the last two weeks. I'm going to do smaller ones for premies at our local hospital, white with pink or blue trim in a sparkle yarn as a narrow border. May also try to do a small cap to match. If I do a few small stars, maybe they could be given to those parents that aren't able to bring their baby home, using the star as a keepsake.

Worked on premie caps last night from 10pm to 4am. I was on a roll and had no idea what time it was. Off to find a good sized hook!

Needle arts,

what a lovely idea to make small stars for preemies. Maybe I'll start with a small one too.

My son was born premature (he's now 16 months) and last year I made a doll with his birth-size and -weight (so I can show him one day how tiny he was at birth, and for myself to remember). It would be nice to have a blanket for that doll!

How is everyone else coming along? Can't wait to see some pictures. I'll post one after I get a few more rounds done and have some of the other colors included.

I have 28 rounds finished.

I'm very curious to see your combination of colors, I hope you show a picture soon :)

Okay, I'm in! Too many WIP's but have been drooling over this for the last two weeks. I'm going to do smaller ones for premies at our local hospital, white with pink or blue trim in a sparkle yarn as a narrow border. May also try to do a small cap to match. If I do a few small stars, maybe they could be given to those parents that aren't able to bring their baby home, using the star as a keepsake.

Worked on premie caps last night from 10pm to 4am. I was on a roll and had no idea what time it was. Off to find a good sized hook!

What a great idea! My son was a preemie, he weighed 3lbs. 14 ounces and was 16 inches long! :manyheart He's now a big, strong 10th grader in high school! LOL

About the star blanket, I am now on row 16 (I had to put it aside for a few days to do some other projects) -- It's not as perfect looking as I would like, but I know my Grandmother will love it anyway. I've bought material to make a color coordinated small pillow, and also a matching drawstring bag to hold both the completed blanket and the pillow. I will present it to her as a "nap-sack" :)

I'll post more pics soon.

th_SabrinasStar002.jpg

th_SabrinasStar001.jpg

Here is my progress so far. I really am amazed at how quickly this is going and I'm loving my color choices. I can't wait to give it to my sister for Christmas since she loves pink :manyheart

Next, I'm going to do 3 more light pink rows and then go back to a large section of the watermelon.

Boy, this works up fast, doesn't it? I have a good bit done just from stitching tonight while watching K. Branagh's "Hamlet" with my son (tape #1 -- will watch tape #2 tomorrow) and I was so pleased at at quickly it seemed to go. Such a simple pattern, too! I like that when doing it while watching tv...

Since I'm using up odds and ends of yarn, my colour scheme is kinda unusual, to say the least, but that's ok. I'll definitely make another of these one day using new yarn in colours I've chosen, not just whatever I had on hand. I dug up several skeins of Simply Soft that hadn't been used all that much, and am combining those with almost-three-full skeins of Wool Ease. Once I use these up, it's done, whatever size that comes to. May end up being a toddler or youngster size when done instead of a lapghan, like I'd wanted, but that's ok, too. I'll just have to see if I can find someone with a youngster who might like to have it. <g>

This is a fun and quick project -- so glad you started this CAL, because who knows how long I'd have wanted to make one of these and never started, if not for this? Thanks!

Lene'

I'M DONE. Thirty rounds, I think that is a good size. Bigger than premie, but good for baby and toddler. There were a LOT of ends to sew b/c I did the varying colors with varying row counts. The shower is next week. Still don't know how to post pics, so you will have to use your imagination. I will take a pic and post when I have time to learn how.

I'd Like to join. I picked up some yarn for this project when I was buying supplies to decorate my house for Halloween. I've tried this one before but I could not figure out some of the directions...hopefully with some more experence under my belt, I won't have any problems. :think

I plan to make one for each of my boys...I love the caron brites but wish they had more color choices. I got the bright yellow and orange for my youngest and my oldest gets the lime green and blue.:hook:c9

th_SabrinasStar001.jpg

Here is my progress so far. I really am amazed at how quickly this is going and I'm loving my color choices. I can't wait to give it to my sister for Christmas since she loves pink :manyheart

Next, I'm going to do 3 more light pink rows and then go back to a large section of the watermelon.

I like your colors! I wish I had started mine with more rows of the same color.

I haven't worked on mine all week, because I want to finish some other things as well. And I had to make room for all the yarn I bought in the last few weeks :yes

Since I'm using up odds and ends of yarn, my colour scheme is kinda unusual, to say the least, but that's ok. I'll definitely make another of these one day using new yarn in colours I've chosen, not just whatever I had on hand.

Lene'

Do you have pictures of your blanket? I am making a big granny square with scraps, but i don't like the color-combination i made :no

Archived