Star Blanket...a bit bigger than for baby

SeaShelly

I'm about 12 rows into a star blanket:

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/heartfeltangels/littlestarafghan.html

I love the look of this, but instead of keeping it tiny, I am going to keep going to the size of an adult throw. This will be for my Grandma who is 83 and LOVES bright colors. I am using Caron Simply Soft Brites in Mango, Watermelon, Blue Mint, and Iris. I'm pretty sure she'll be thrilled.

Anyone want to crochet along? :cheer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually wanted to make this for my cousin who is having a baby, so I might just keep mine on the small side. I think it's a few more weeks before she finds out if it's a boy or a girl though, and they really want to do the pink or blue thing so I might have to hold off for a little while. If the CAL is still going in a few weeks, count me in.

Count me in! (As if I need another project) I made one of these last year for my niece in super blinding yellew with fun fur trim. I wish I had a picture of it. Anyways I've been wanting to make a giant one for myself. Time to go spend an hour at AC Moore picking out colors!:c9

Yay! :cheer

I'm glad I have company! LOL I just changed over this morning from the Mango to the Watermelon yarn. It's such a happy color combo. :yay

Someday, I'm going to make one for myself.

And something for you guys making these stars bigger- What I did to make it go faster was that I used Lion Brand Homespun. It turned out the size I wanted in half the rows, and was softer than anything else I've done.

If this is still going on in a few weeks, when I've got more money and the other baby blankets done (or close), I'll pick my colors and start working on a star for myself.

Someday, I'm going to make one for myself.

And something for you guys making these stars bigger- What I did to make it go faster was that I used Lion Brand Homespun. It turned out the size I wanted in half the rows, and was softer than anything else I've done.

If this is still going on in a few weeks, when I've got more money and the other baby blankets done (or close), I'll pick my colors and start working on a star for myself.

I'm using Caron Simply Soft this time since my grandma loves bright colors, but thanks for the Homespun tip as I will do that next when I make one for myself. :)

I'm in on this one! I stumbled across this forum a few days ago and it has totally revived my desire to crochet. 4 kids (2 of whom are under the age of 3) volunteering, teaching one day a week, housework, errands, laundry, etc (you get it, I'm sure)...keep me pretty busy, so busy that I've given up crochet for the last year or so and I REALLY REALLY miss it. :(

I decided last night to make 6 of these circle/star ghans, one for each member of the family, for Christmas. That way everyone will know which throw is theirs if we are watching TV at night or something. ;) Obviously, all of mine will be in varying sizes, and I can't wait to pick out everyone's colors from my yarn stash!

Any suggestions on how big to go based on height of the person, or age? I want it to be big enough to be a good throw, but not so big that it is overpowering and heavy.

I'm ready to crochet again! :clap

Becky

OK. This will be my first CAL. Yes, I think I am signing up for this. I have bought several skeins of Caron Simply Soft to make two of these, one as a shower :rain gift for a friend and one for my little nephew. I am going to start today, because I am just so excited about the pattern and the colors :yay; but I know it is going to take awhile to complete as I am in the process of making 30 bunny :rabbit pins for teacher appreciation (we are the Jackrabbits) and I have to do a least one daisy square to send to Krystal (though I want to make an entire blanket from her granny square patterbn as well). Actually I just want to crochet one of everything!!! But alas, I simply do not have enough time!!! :no Perhaps if i gave up housework all together?:yes

I'm in on this one! I stumbled across this forum a few days ago and it has totally revived my desire to crochet. 4 kids (2 of whom are under the age of 3) volunteering, teaching one day a week, housework, errands, laundry, etc (you get it, I'm sure)...keep me pretty busy, so busy that I've given up crochet for the last year or so and I REALLY REALLY miss it. :(

I'm ready to crochet again! :clap

Becky

I am so happy for you. It should be fun to see these grow from your hook. Blessings

Oh....I think I'm gonna love this group and CAL!!! Housework is DEFINITELY overrated! :yes I guess I could let mopping the floor and scrubbing the toilets slide a bit in order to crochet more! Of course, there is still that mommy thing that takes up so much of my time, but I enjoy that much more than housework. :)

OK - I love the colors you have started with SeaShelley...nice and vibrant and bright. Looks like you are using very tiny sport wt yarn. Since my goal is to make one for each family member, I think I am going to make mine in all different sizes with all different weights and types of yarn. I want them to fit the individual.

I did accomplish something today! I put the babies down for naps and then went and raided my yarn stash! I just LOVE doing that...sitting on the closet floor and pulling out colors and different textures of yarn. I am the WORST at combining colors...so it usually takes me a while of just staring at skeins of yarn and arranging them next to each other on the floor and then rearranging and rearranging until I at least have an inkling of an idea of what I want to do. I made a firm decision on 2 of them, the one for my middle son and my husband will be in school colors. They are both avid sports nuts and will love that. Of course, that means I will have to actually go buy shopping since I don't have enough of certain colors stashed away! I don't about the rest of you, but I NEVER leave the store with just the yarn I came in for...as my DH says, when I shop for yarn, it becomes an adventure both for me and our checkbook! :devil

Update at a later date...keep on crocheting ladies!

Becky

SeaShelly, I love your colors! I wish I could buy that simply soft here in Holland. I only have bright pure cotton yarn, but that is too heavy for such a big blanket.

Here is mine, in white, pink and lavender( I have some blue and other pinks to use up as well):

starblanket.jpg

(first time posting a picture so I hope it works :))

I GOT IT!!!!! :jumpyayThanks to glinster's verification,

and after fiddeling around with stitch placement (being new to crochet-I was having a bit of a time detriming where the join was placed; and after the shell, was having difficulty determining where the next dc was to go-shell was covering up the next stitch) I now have 4 rows completed!!!

I am SOOOOOOO excited!!! :woo

Glinster,

I love your colors! If you tell me what colors you'd like, I can mail you a small care package of Simply Soft yarns.

Here's a link to the website where you can browse around and select colors:

http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_brites.html

Oh dear! Why do you people do this to me!!??:lol

I don't *need* to do one of these. I have a pile of other projects started (gifts, *and* an afghan I started for my son *last year* and haven't finished :embar ) and I know common sense would say not to start one of these star 'ghans... But I've wanted to do one of these for sooo long now.

Hmph!

:devil

I'm in!

I absolutely can't afford to buy any yarn right now, though, so this is gonna end up being an odds'n'ends 'ghan, and the colour scheme may be pathetic when I'm done, because I don't know what I have on hand. But I can call this a learning experience, right? :lol

Lene'

Archived