Who's a Jersey Girl or Guy?

lauravee

You girls talking about Port roll makes me want to run out and buy some.

Can get that here, but not a decent TOMATO. I have to hope someone comes down in September when they are out, or that my sister will be kind enough to send me some.

I would give my right arm, well maybe the left for a beacon, lettuce and Jersey tomato sandwich on wonderbread.:tup

We end up buying the Ugli tomatoes imported from Mexico. They're as close to the Jersey I can get off season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Jersey girl here! I am located in Bergen County, right near the Giants Stadium. I'm soooo lucky to live close to so many craft stores. I can't believe they are actually putting another A.C. Moore close by. It's sure going to be hard to stay away from there!

Never heard about this Taylor Ham thing being a Jersey term. I just know that I love it! :devil

I just joined this group, so my post is a little behind. I'm in Camden county right now, but I'll be moving to Gloucester county this summer. My but there are a lot of us Jersey folks wielding crochet hooks!:lol

I'm stranded in the boonies of NC, but will be coming home to Monmouth Co. for a few days in June. Any leads on good yarn stores? Heck, even bad ones would be an improvement from what I can find down here. I know most of Ocean Co., Monmouth, and lower Middlesex without getting hopelessly lost. I'm going to find a Treasure Island...not sure if the one in Toms River is still there or not, have to call my old neighbor and ask. We used to get into a lot of mischief there.

Kathy

Kathy, there are a few good yarn stores. Where are you going to be?

First there is the Knitting Gallery on Rt 34 in Colts Neck (just north of 537) I don't get out there too often, but I have found them to have a good amount of reasonably priced, upscale yarn. The old owners sold it, but it's still in business. The new owners haven't put up their own website (that I can find at least....)

Then there is http://www.woolymonmouth.com/ in Red Bank. Very drool worthy store. I haven't been there in a while either. A little *too* pricey IMHO, but fun if you are looking to splurge. Oh! I just dug around on my desk and found a coupon for there, it's good until 6/30. I'm on a yarn diet, so if you'd like, I can mail it to you. $5 off $20 or $10 off $50.

Another little store is Carriage Yarn Shop on West Park Ave in Ocean Twp. It's an odd mix of yarn, some of it fairly old but that can be fun if it's something that's been discontinued. Pretty good prices. I try to stop in there every so often, mostly because the owner is very nice (cute little old lady) and I'd hate for them to get shoved out of business. I think she's been there for 20 years or something like that.

There is a Treasure Island in Shrewsbury, but they don't carry yarn (or any craft items!) any more :cry I don't know about the other ones, so you might want to call before you go.

There are several AC Moore's, Michaels, and Rag Shops scattered around, it's probably easiest to check their websites.

I think that about covers it!!! :lol

Holly

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Holly!

Mom and I visited the Knitting Gallery since you did warn the Wooly Monmouth was pricey. It was wonderful, and I'd love to go again. Got some nice yarn on sale, and a plastic swift since I can't afford $70 for a wooden one, and this was only $35. The yarns are beautiful, they have some great hand dyed yarns from Uraguay and I just want them all....wait! I have a lottery ticket I need to check; maybe I can get some more, lol

Kathy

JERSEY GIRL HERE BORN AND RAISED IN JERSEY CITY HUDSON COUNTY THEN MOVED TO MONMOUTH COUNTY UNION BEACH HAZLET AREA THEN MOVED TO BRRRRRRRRRRRRR CANADA LOL..

I WILL BE IN JERSEY TOMORROW GOING TO VISIT FAMILY FOR 2 WEEKS CANT WAIT TO SEE EVERYBODY....

FIRST THINGS ON MY LIST WHEN I GET TO JERSEY IS TO HAVE ME A DEVIL DOG OR YANKEE DOODLES OR FUNNY BONES ETC... CANT GET THEM IN CANADA NO DRAKES PRODUCTS HERE WAAAAAAAAAAAAA:(

ALSO IM CRAVING FOR AN OLD FASHIONED SUGAR COATED JELLY DONUT CANT GET THEM HERE EITHER AND CORN MUFFINS....I GUESS I WILL WEIGH 50 LBS MORE BY THE TIME I GET BACK... AND THE SABRETT HOTDOGS BEEN CRAVING THEM TOO... NO HOT DOG STANDS LIKE THAT HERE IN CANADA MOSTLY SAUSAGE STANDS AND REALLY FAT HOT DOGS BUT NO SAUERKRAUT EITHER YOU CAN GET THE KRAUT AT THE STORE BUT NO HOT KRAUT FOR YOUR DOG AT THE WAGONS LOL.

Sounds like fun Kathy!!!

Layna, what part of NJ are you visiting?? I grew up in Middletown, just nextdoor to Hazlet :) How about TastyCakes??? Butterscotch Krimpets..mmmmmmmmm :manyheart

Holly

I will be in Union Beach and Keansburg Tomorrow. My sister has lived in Union Beach for about 25 years now and her daughter my niece lives in West Keansburg. Then I will go and visit some friends in North Bergen then on the 25th going to a Birthday Party at a place called O'Caseys in Wayne to see an old friend of mine who sings in a band there and its his 50th birthday and he still rocks and rolls LOL.....(So do I)

Oh Yea the Butterscotch Krimpets god I use to love them as a kid 3 to a pack and the jelly ones are good too. Cant get them here either.... I cant wait im really excited Its been over a year since ive been home gonna be hard to fall asleep tonight:dance

I'm in Matawan tonight, going back to NC on Sunday on the train, can't figure how to bring back the pork roll, Sabrett hotdogs, and hard rolls everyone expects. Maybe if I have Mom mail back my clothes AND my new yarn? My stepson was SUPPOSED to be driving down this week and was bringing them for me but can't afford the trip quite yet. I guess I'll have to get some ice packs for my bag, but darn, they're gonna be heavy.

Kathy

In North Carolina you can get slaw and chili on your hotdogs but they never have sauerkraut (which is fine with me). It's a pork producing state, but you can't find pork roll. And it's impossible to find decent hard rolls either. Maybe in a big city, but where I live it's impossible, so when someone goes home to Jersey; we have an obligation to bring things back. I planned this trip to drive, no problem...two ice chests and we'd be in business. Last minute change of plans meant I took the train, so I have to lug the luggage myself....and I really do have a bad back to start with.

Kathy

The only thing we cant do is bring back some of those things because of crossing the boarder into canada. Sometimes you can get away with it but sometimes they catch you and take things away.

Like fruits, veges, plants, certain meats etc...

I Miss Boston Chicken, Mount Fugis on Rt17, The Woodbridge Mall, Going into the City, (Jersey people should know that means New York LOL) KFC Biscuits, the Boardwalk at any of the shore areas. I miss the ocean Im surrounded by Lakes LOL, Clams on the half shell down seaside heights, Mister Softee, Great Adventure, Vineland NJ Tomatos, Atlantic City ,A Good old fashioned Sea Food Restaurant, Concerts at the Arena and Garden State Arts Center (these arent called those names anymore)The Fairs at Giant Stadium, I could go on and On LOL But I wont...:hook

Ok Layna, stop!!! You are making me homesick (no Drakes or TastyCakes out here either, sniff) and I won't be going back to NJ to visit until next summer when my niece graduates. But I'll add to your list of yummies:

ice cream waffle sandwiches on the boardwalk down the shore

Applegate's homemade ice cream

sitting on a blanket, attending the NJ Symphony's free concert in Brookdale Park for July 4th

real Italian food cooked by real Italian ladies at church fairs

chewing sasparilla twigs while hiking in the woods in Sussex County

diners

a hard roll with Taylor ham and butter and nothing else

sitting on the stoop of the house in the twilight, listening to the parents talk and laugh while drinking pina coladas (the folks, not us kids!)

fireflies

The one thing I don't miss--mosquitoes the size of small birds! ;)

What do the other transplanted Jerseyans miss?

Patty :devil (this smiley is the Jerey Devil, isn't it??)

I'm a NJ transplant (moved here from Mississippi) so I find a lot of these post funny. I didn't know Drakes and TastyCakes were such a big deal.:) I'll tell you what I can't get used to ... being yelled at in some of the Italian pizza/cheesesteak shops if I don't know what I want right away! The first time someone yelled, "hurry it up, girly" my jaw about hit the floor. At least now I know they yell at everyone.:P

Oh Kathy! What a pita!!! The good news is Hot Dogs and Pork Roll could probably survive a nuclear attack, so a night on a train should do them no harm :lol

Veronica, too funny about the pizza guys! They aren't too bad around here, but I guess I grew up around it so I'm used to staying faaaar from the counter until I make up my mind :P

Any transplants that really get the TastyKake blues, take a peek here

https://www.tastykake.com/ProductBrowse.aspx

Holly

I think that any of those tasty... yummy... irresistable items of destruction of the hips would survive any attack! :lol

The AC Moore in Secaucus is fab darlings! Especially since my daughter works there now, and I her discount! :cheer:cheer:cheer

If you do stop in, and say you don't have a coupon... I've been told that all you have to do is ask the cashier if there is one when you are paying. Also say hi to Chris! Thats my kid, so don't give her a dirty look cause she is gorgeous! Tell her that you know her Mom (Kelly). :P That will drive her nuts!

Also say a big hello to Yara! She works in the yarn dept., and is most helpful. She taught me some new tricks, and convinced me to get a soft clover hook. (bad girl she is) They have a luscious yarn dept. located all the way in the back of the store, but they had to put it there because that is where everyone goes. Since I am in the bookmark swap I went in for a couple of different thread colors. They have the biggest selection I have ever seen in person. :c9 (Memo to self: Go back for some more!)

Look at my site to see what my daughter looks like at work!

I am now getting hungry reading all these post and also homesick.

What do I miss?

How about fried pizza turnovers (panzarotti's)

A good Cheese Steak.

Jersey Freeze ice cream

Pizza on the Boardwalk

Soft Pretzels

The most missed item is Tasty pies. We can get TastyKakes, but no pies

and of course the best tasting in the world. JERSEY TOMATOES.

Pork roll should travel fine.

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Archived