Who's a Jersey Girl or Guy?

lauravee

The hotdogs, pork roll and hard rolls made it home safely. Since I also had two big cans of ice tea mix, the bag was HEAVY. Barely made the 50lb limit Amtrak has. They asked what was in it, and I told them. Offered to take out my underwear if that would help. I froze everything well beforehand, then wrapped it in layers of newspaper, and put clothes around that. Everything was fine, except my back. Mom should be mailing out my extra yarn, books, patterns, etc today.

Kathy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss the "real" snow storms. The kind that keep you home from school because you can't drive in it. I miss the sound of a "real" snow plow (with chains) in the middle of the night. I miss the snow drifts that you could barely walk through (literally thigh deep). I don't recall the mosquitos being as big as a small bird cause we had the Mosquito truck that drove through our neighborhood

(with us chasing behind it) leaving a fog. i remem ber the summers sitting out with the neighborhood kids and playing ghost in the grave yard. The ground would get real wet in the evenings and if someone had just cut the grass you'd have furry green feet. I miss being a kid and growing up in New Jersey.

I miss the christmas' on "the green" in the center of Morristown with all the rideable wooden horses, giant packages and santa who climed down the Bambugers building year after year. That was a great time.

Lisa

Mary Jo, you had to mention tomatoes! :manyheart My mom is coming for a visit next week, but there's no way tomatoes would survive 3 days on the train. And, boy, do I miss snow! Like Lisa said, real snow, 3 feet of snow. Huge drifts behind school we'd play in during recess and spend the rest of the day with wet feet. In fact, I miss weather. I love my adopted state and city, but I'm getting tired of the constant heat. I've actually been thinking of moving back closer to NJ when my boss retires in about 5 years or so. I love my job and hate to think of leaving it, but with my mom getting older, that might be a good time to make a change.

Autumn leaves. I miss autumn leaves. Their smell and crackle, the smell when you burn them. And crocuses and ladies of the valley in spring.

Patty

And tulips, Patty. Don't forget the tulips and daffodils. You can grow them one season (maybe) if you refrigerate the bulbs first, but you have to have a hard freeze for the tulips to do well and that's not coastal carolina....oh well; the wisteria is pretty in the spring.

Kathy

I started this thread and I have not checked in, in so long. I cannot wait to get my butt to the new AC Moore in Secaucus. I am in Lyndhurst all the time, because that is where my sister lives. I live up by Ramsey and Mahway. I have a brand new LYS addiction. Just before Thanksgiving Majestic Yarns opened in Ridgewood, all I can say is oh my god! So, if anyone ever wants to trek over to Ridgewood give me a shout and maybe we can have a cup of tea! Oh by the way, I had a Taylor Ham, Egg and cheese sammich for breakfast and it was oh so naughty! :devil

I started this thread and I have not checked in, in so long. I cannot wait to get my butt to the new AC Moore in Secaucus. I am in Lyndhurst all the time, because that is where my sister lives. I live up by Ramsey and Mahway. I have a brand new LYS addiction. Just before Thanksgiving Majestic Yarns opened in Ridgewood, all I can say is oh my god! So, if anyone ever wants to trek over to Ridgewood give me a shout and maybe we can have a cup of tea! Oh by the way, I had a Taylor Ham, Egg and cheese sammich for breakfast and it was oh so naughty! :devil

I'm in Ringwood. I have yet to go to the Ridgewood yarn store, but when I'm feeling saucy, I head over to Knitter's Euphorium in Bloomingdale. I'm usually a Michaels/Treasure Island/Rag Shop kind of gal. If you ever want to meet, I'd love to. I'd have to bring my little Peanut with me though.

Oh, btw, I skeeve Taylor ham, except when I'm pregnant. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Kathy -- I spent 10 years in northern NJ (Essex & Hudson counties, West Orange, Verona, Cedar Grove & Jersey City), where I was introduced to the wonders of a "Taylor Ham, egg & cheese on a roll" for breakfast, direct from the "roach coach" that would pull up every morning outside the office where I worked for my first 10 months or so up there. Yum! :drool

Of course, the big question as pertains to Taylor Ham is: thick sliced or thin sliced? I'm a thin sliced person, myself...

Anyway, so, I'm down here in NC now with a native Jersey City boy for a husband, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the same thing you did -- lug a big ol' pork roll all the way down from Jersey just so we can eat breakfast... when I happened to glance over at the deli counter of my local Lowes Foods and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a gigantic Taylor Pork Roll, all ready to be sliced to order. They don't have the pre-sliced packaged stuff like I was used to buying "up Nawth", but there it is in the deli department, big as life itself. :woo

That's the Lowes Foods in Clayton, right here on Highway 70. If you've got a Lowes Foods anywhere near you, you might want to check out their deli department and see if they've got it -- and if they don't, I'd go get the manager and ask 'em to stock it. Heck, go Jersey on 'em and demand that they stock it! :lol

If that doesn't work, you might want to check out www.JerseyPorkRoll.com. They've got Tayor ham, Sabretts and Tastykakes (including the Butterscotch Krimpets) and they'll ship anywhere in the U.S.A...

Just thought I'd toss that in, maybe save your back a little strain on your next trip...

--Torka :compute

If that doesn't work, you might want to check out www.JerseyPorkRoll.com. They've got Tayor ham, Sabretts and Tastykakes (including the Butterscotch Krimpets) and they'll ship anywhere in the U.S.A...

Just thought I'd toss that in, maybe save your back a little strain on your next trip...

--Torka :compute

Hello,

I'm a born and bred Jersey Girl, and I happen to be the Kate of www.jerseyporkroll.com, and I also happen to crochet! So thank you to Torka for putting a link in her post and leading me here. I just spent about an hour or so reading through the forum and learning a few new things about my hobby.

Kate : )

I am in northern New Jersey, specifically Bergen County. I spend a lot of time in Morristown, Hoboken and New Brunswick for work and school(s). Just wanted to see if there were any Jersey crocheters.

Laura

:hyper

Jersey Girl here, too--Morris County (about 15 min from Morristown), and my husband's from Bergen County. I grew up in South Orange, (Essex) and spent all my free time down the shore as soon as my friends and I got our licenses.

--Lee

`Cause down the shore everything’s all right

You and your baby on a saturday night

Nothing matters in this whole wide world

When you’re in love with a jersey girl

Wow! Lots of us here. I lived in Point Pleasant for over 20 years before moving in with my (now) fiance. Monmouth County is my favorite in the state, and I see lots of you are from there. It has a little something for everyone. If you want farms, they've got it. If you want urban/sub-urban, they've got that too.

I'm in what I term "northern" jersey. Scotch Plains to be exact. It's "ok" here, but I'd rather be living in Monmouth county.

Hey? We should start a Jersey Crocheter Web Ring! I've seen ones for California, and northwest usa, etc...but none for the northeast, and certainly not for crocheting.

Just a tally of hands, if I made a cute button and started a Ringsurf webring for us, who would join in?

A second question, if I did open one up, should it be just Jersey, or should we open it up to the "Northeast" area: Mass, Conn, etc.. Or should it be a Tri-State one? (NY, NJ, and PA)?

Hey DeNeen

I know where Hamonton is I have relatives down in Vineland and my uncle use to take us to this place in Hamonton for crabs and clams when I was young

Hey DeNeen

I know where Hamonton is I have relatives down in Vineland and my uncle use to take us to this place in Hamonton for crabs and clams when I was young

I have a bunch of relatives in Vineland. As a matter of fact, my great aunt taught math at the high school there for over 40 years.

I have a bunch of relatives in Vineland. As a matter of fact, my great aunt taught math at the high school there for over 40 years.

Most of my relatives lived in Malaga My Grandmother and my uncles and aunts.. I have an aunt who lives in Vineland on East Landis Ave.,... I spent every summer in Malaga and Vineland since I was born till I was around 14...My Cousin went to Sacred Heart High School in Vineland.

:hook

Hi Deb, I'm in Sicklerville. I moved here when I married my husband. Its so cool to see someone else from here!! :) Heehee forgot to sign it Annmarie

Deneen, I live about half hour from you. more with traffic LOL I live in Turnersville

Deb a south Jersey crochet girl

• 2 weeks later...

Archived