My first Crochet Hat

pink-stitch

I think you did a great job for a first hat! Perhaps the seam is happening with the way you are joining..do you have to slip stitch in a certain chain of begining stitch? Sometimes making sure you count the chain three as the first stitch is all you need to do or watching your increases... somethings just come with practice... You should be very proud of that hat... Good Job:cheer :clap

It doesn't look like you have done 3ch instead of the first dc, then gone into the 2nd chain of the 3ch. My first hat looked similar beause I made this mistake. Good work for your first hat though :cheer

I make a lot of hats and it is very hard to join in the round and not have it visible in some way. Even when looking at drawings of crocheting in the round they always show the ch 3. It's just going to look different. The key is to be consistent in how and where you are joining so it looks a little cleaner. Or don't join, and just continue to work in spirals. But for your first shot, you did great.

I think your firtst hat is good.:cheer It hardly is showing unless you are on top of it. I don't think anyone will notice it. It is a pretty color.

Good job. for a beginner hat maker I say.:clapPINKROSES

it looks great for your first hat!!!!

how are you joining the rounds?

also do you use a stitch marker? i have found marking your first stich of each new row is a life saver & you just carry the stitch marker up as you go...you dont have to forever count your st's.

:manyheart Thanks for the responses. I think I need to crochet in spirals. I found a great pattern on Crochetme.com. I'll post a pic when I finish it. It may be a while since I haven't started it. ;)

You guys are great :clap Thanks for being my cheerleaders :cheer . It means so much to hear responses from experienced crocheters.

Thanks,

:yarn Amy

The hat looks great! I know what you mean about seams. I get that if I chain 3 for the first dc.

One hint I've picked up along the way: instead of a chain 3, chain 2, but dc in the SAME st. When joining, join in the top of the dc, don't count the ch 2 as a st.

Sally

It is very hard to hide the seams when you join, but sometimes I will ch 2 instead of ch 3 (with dc) and this helps to hide the seam. I think your hat looks great for your first one, and most people wouldn't notice the seam! Mary Jane

No matter what I do when I work in the round like that I always get a seam, so what I do to avoid it, is mark my end stitch and just stitch in spirals. At the end when you weave in the end you can't tell and you don't get a seam.

i like to "turn" my rounds when making a hat and it's hard to hide the seam especially when working all dc it seems to hide the seam a little better. I know that this advice seems strange, and i thought so too at first but it really works! great job on the hat btw, working in rounds can sometimes be tricky :) good luck on future projects

I make a lot of hats and it is very hard to join in the round and not have it visible in some way. Even when looking at drawings of crocheting in the round they always show the ch 3. It's just going to look different. The key is to be consistent in how and where you are joining so it looks a little cleaner. Or don't join, and just continue to work in spirals. But for your first shot, you did great.

I totally agree. Most hats made that way, with the chain 3 and join are going to have a seam that can be noticed. But just remember that you are most critical of your work and most people don't have the trained eye to see the stitches the same way that we do. I think your hat looks superb!!!

Archived