First try at the tunisian stitch

Tangledyarn

You all have inspired me to try my hand at learning a new stitch. And not only that, but to do a graph as well. I did a butterfly hot pad.

I really enjoyed the stitch. Now I want to go on to bigger and better things. For example, my daughter wants a tote bag in her school colors with a volleyball on it. So....

But I do have a question for those of you that use the knitpro graph program. I'm a little dense, so please have mercy on me!

When you chose grid size regular (it says "48w x 64h), you get a pdf grid showing 54 block long by 48 rows high. By working this chart, will you get a crochet piece that is approximately 48w x 64h? You wouldn't would you?

The hot pad started with a chain of 26 and was 21 rows. It turned out to be approximately 6" x 6". So, if I used the same hook size, then wouldn't the knitpro graph be roughly a 12" x 14" or so?

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to "beat" this into my head. Looking forward to playing around with this.

You folks are sure an inspiriation! Such talent here!

Leslie

post-6255-13589756382_thumb.jpg

I can't help you with the Knitpro business, but kudos to you for trying out the Tunisian crochet. And for doing color switches with it! I've been thinking about trying Tunisian. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks all.

Course I didn't tell you how many times I unravelled it and started over! It took 3 tries before I was going with it. I did the butterfly side first. Color changes weren't that bad.

I did the back side with no pattern and thought I was doing great until I was about 3 rows from being finished and noticed that it was curving inward. Got to looking and I dropped the last stitch so had to unravel it.

This is why I chose a pot holder! Small!

Here is the pattern if you want to try your hand at a new stitch.

http://huggems.netfirms.com/shamrockph.html

Only it had a shamrock instead of a butterfly. When I went for yarn, our store did not have any green cotton yarn and I had just done a butterfly washcloth with the multi-colored yarn, so I searched for a small butterfly and drew it in on the chart instead of the shamrock.

It really was a fun stitch.

Leslie

That is so funny, not your hot pad...just that I started the tunisian/afghan stitch this weekend too! For some reason I was having trouble when I got to the end of the row, and had to come back(dropping the stitches off the hook). My poor hand! I had to take it apart twice until I got it! But isn't it great!

Your butterfly looks really nice, and I like the colors. :hook

Great job.

I've tried tunisian, and keep dropping stitches. To try it with a graph for the first time is really ambitious! It came out GREAT!!!!

Thanks for sharing the pattern. I'll try again soon!

You did a great job on that, I haven't done the afghan stitch for ages! and then I did not do that much of it, so I am sorry that I can not help you out with your graph questions! I bet one of our other graphghan experts could help you out there! Still, whatever you are doing -it is working out just fine! So keep up the great work!

Archived