Knit Baby Sweater

clearwaters

Four letter word - KNIT - Sorry. Just couldn't help it. :lol This is my all-time favorite sweater. I have been making it for over 40 years. Every family baby gets one. The colors change, but the sweater is still my favorite.

th_76662_IMG_0766_326lo.jpg click to enlarge

Beautiful! I'm trying to learn to do that word too. I don't say it often, especially here, but there are some interesting patterns for (that word) that I want to try. And times I'd like to have a choice in how I make things. Oh, I'll always be a hooker first, and it's a lot safer in the car (no sharp objects in case of sudden stops), but now I will be able to make ANYTHING. Well, after I learn to PURL (oops, another 4 letter word).

I learned to knit when I was 9. I didn't really know anything about crochet for maybe 10 years. I learned to do simple edge stitches to complement knit items that needed finishings.

One thing led to another and I'll admit that I now do crochet 10 to 1. It's easier on my hands. I certainly would not want to be knitting an adult sweater these days; whereas, I do crochet them. I just can't do the intricate crochet work that I was able to achieve in knit. I can read a graph; but, I cannot read the crochet charts.

Not only are the hands going these days. But so are the eyes. :lol Oh well. I guess things could be worse.

I love your sweater. I've made a few myself. Some things just look nicer knit and others are best crocheted. I'm not partial to one over the other. I love your use of color in this one. Thanks for sharing.

I must have a rebellious streak in me, I like that four letter word... :lol

Nice sweater! I have one sweater I like to make a lot (I don't make it for every baby though...) You work it all down from the top, then put the sleeves on stitch holders and work the sleeves, so there isn't any sewing later. (Woo Hoo!) I actually just got it out last week (since there are three people in our family that are pregnant! :eek ) And I know what two of them (babies) are, sooo... :knit

I'm in the process of learning that same Word That Must Remain Unspoken :devil (and doing pretty well too, to pat myself on the back for a minute. :)) although like others have said, hookin' will always come first for me.

That sweater is adorable - I can see why you've made it so many times! Sorry to hear you're having increasing difficulties with your crafting. I know that is probably THE major fear for most of us on this board, to no longer be able to crochet (or... the Other craft, for some). :hug for you.

I am currently in the middle of a refresher course on :knit. On a different forum I am the Novice :knit Mod. We are currently doing a KAL for a sweet little scarf. It is so cute and simple. But boy does it ever take me forever to :knit compared to crocheting. Thank goodness it is a scarf I can do a row of 36 stitches in the time that a commercial break is on during my favorite shows.

On a different note... I love that sweater. It is absolutely adorable.:manyheart

• 1 year later...

That's a very nice baby sweater pattern and that one looks really sweet and perfect for some little girl. It's nice to have some traditions in the family and it sounds like you have a great one. :)

Ok, when I read the part where you've been knitting this sweater for 40 years I was thinking you meant it was a UFO for 40 years...and then I read the rest of your post. LOL I think I'll blame my confusion on it being late at night. Sure, that's it! :P

Archived