Yet another new member

Nhewyt

Hello all - found this board by following several links about a month ago and finally got around to registering today. I'm sure there will be a few here who I already know from other online groups *waves* and I'm sure I'll get to making a bunch more online crochet friends too.

A little me info - I tried to learn to crochet several times over the years and just never could "get" it - I don't know why. But I kept coming back to it like a moth to the flame and finally, earlier this year, during one of my major insomnia attacks, I picked up my "I taught myself to crochet" book, yet again, and the light bulb not only went on, it almost blew itself up with the sudden surge of "A HA!!" energy :eek

Once that happened it was almost as if some sort of racial memory came flooding back (most of the women in my family on my mum's side crocheted or knitted) and I went quickly from beginner projects to advanced and have recently started designing my own patterns. I absolutely love the way I can use crochet as a sculpturing medium - yeah, I found free-form a while back and love to just sit and scumble when I've nothing better to do lol.

I also paint, draw, sew (not so much anymore), garden, build PC's, do computer art including 3d modeling and textures, play the kiowa flute, penny whistle & keyboard, freelance in art when the opportunity presents itself and so much more that it would probably be easier to say what I don't do :)

Have been married 21 years, but never was able to have children so I have three house cats that are spoiled rotten "babies". Live near Pittsburgh PA in a little town called North Versailles in a small cape cod style home. Have tons of birds and animals that come to get hand outs even though we are in a city type neighbor hood.

Currently I'm crocheting fingerless gloves from a free online pattern for regular gloves that I tweaked and pinched until I had a pattern that I liked. Lots of pairs too as I am getting a large package ready for donation this fall to local homeless shelters. I'm also in the job market (aren't a lot of folks it seems?) and have been biting my nails waiting on a call back for a temp to hire position that I REALLY want. Hence the manic crocheting of gloves to keep the mind off it as best I can :D

Well, that's enough blabbing from me -

Nhewyt

.:welcomefrom Wisconsin and here is a :flower for joining us along with a:ghug . Keep:dreaming of all your new projects, we are not all pros here although there is an :artistin all of us. :waving until we see you again.

I tis nice to have someone so talented join.:yay

Hi & welcome!

Your house sounds like so much fun! Lots of creative stuff going on & animals to love on & lavish affection on. Sounds great.

I'm looking forward to you posting some pics of your work, and if your feeling generous, some of your original patterns!

You're going to love it here. See you in the forums... :compute

Thanks for the already warm welcome - wow, seems there are folks here from all over!

I'll have to get the batteries charged up on the digital and actually get around to some pictures I suppose ;)

As for patterns, I've been working on getting a few of them out of my head and onto paper and from there into the computer. I have a lacy shawl stitch pattern that's almost there and will happily share it when I finish getting it ready. My biggest worry about my original patterns is that perhaps they aren't all the orginal lol. I mean, really, if you think of it, there are only just so many basic stitches that can be combined in just so many ways. Now even though those combinations likely range into the hundreds of thousands, there is still the chance that the stitch combo that I "invent" has been done by someone, somewhere at sometime before. Perhaps I worry too much but I would never want to step on any copyrighted toes!

A problem I have with my patterns is with the complexity when it comes to my stuffed animals. I'm just not sure how well they'd be understood when there are parts that would read "now, without breaking the yarn, go behind the frill - here you will just have to fudge it a little bit & pick up the loops that look like the right ones, you'll know if you have the wrong one's because it won't look right" <(^o^)> I guess that part of my design process comes from too much free form crocheting!

Nhewyt

I'm looking forward to you posting some pics of your work, and if your feeling generous, some of your original patterns!

Wow - someone who knows where N. Versailless! All of you have made me really feel welcome here - thanks so much <(^o^)>

I finally got one of my shawl stitch patterns up on my blog - which is really new - yeah, I know I'm so behind on the times! I dunno, I tried blogging once before but I really hated the blogger I'd signed up with because it took FOREVER to load a page even with cable modem. This new one seems a lot better, so maybe I'll stick with it. Anyhow, here is the addy, if anyone wants to test out my first ever published pattern lol. It's not much, but if anyone sees any mistakes, please let me know!

http://nhewytsplace.blogspot.com/

Nhewyt ~~}~}-:>

Love the way your lacey shawl stitch looks! Great having you here. I am sure you will fit right in! :D

Archived