What kind of Shawl For Breast Cancer survivor?

Ladycrochat

As the daughter of a Breast Cancer survivor and a crocheter as well....I stongly feel that I should make a shawl for my Mom...But I have never done this so I do not know if there is a standard pattern.....I know it should be in light pink and I am guessing it should be long and rectangular (similar to the Breast Cancer ribbons), but is there a specific stitch or pattern used?

One that wraps her in love.

My mother was a breast cancer survivor who died of other causes at age 84.

My sister is a breast cancer survivor.

I am a participant in the STAR Study for breast cancer prevention.

Yes, you should make her a beautiful pale pink shawl. I don't think there is a specific stitch, but something with hearts might be nice.

I didn't think of it at the time, but my mom is a breast cancer survivor too. Two years ago, when I first started crocheting again I made her a big triangle shawl out of Chenille T&Q. Well, it was too big. The point nearly brushes the floor. It's great for snuggling at home though. New Year's Eve I started the Simply Shawl, inspired by a post at another message board, simply because I loved the way it looked. (The picture on the Simply Soft label doesn't do it justice.) I didn't have anyone in mind. Then Mom's birthday came up and I just knew who I had made it for. She loves it. I did it in SS plum color, which is nearly a dark rose. It's an easy, simple pattern and turns out much nicer than the pictures on the label.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure your mom will love it as much as mine did. And this one doesn't drag on the floor! LOL

My mom is a breast cancer survivor too. I plan on making her a prayer shawl in light pink homespun. I do think that anything that you make her ...she will love for more than one reason The first is because you made it, second because you are showing her how imprtant she is to you.:yay . I think any patten will do.I hope you show us pictures when you are done.

My mom was not a breast cancer survivor.....she waited too long for treatment :no It really broke my heart when she passed away. I think that any color and any pattern.....as long as prayer and lots of love goes along with it, is perfect for a cancer surviving mom. I did buy a prayer shawl booklet, but I think the prayer shawl ministry site may have some patterns. Patterns aren't a major criteria for making these shawls....its the love and prayers that do.

http://www.waitingroomministry.com/newSite/shawls/index.html

http://www.shawlministry.com/

The "easy shawl" using Cozi yarn? That will be perfect!

We are all standing right behind you sending you and your mom love while you crochet. Be sure to post a picture of mom with the new shawl when it's done.

All the best, Artemis.

:cheer PM me with your postal address and I will send your mum a pretty pink scarf which I also think looks like the Breast Cancer Ribbon.

My daughter-in-law, at age 26 discovered a lump which was cancer.

She chose to have the lump removed and a couple of nodes.

This was almost 7 yrs ago and 5yrs ago she gave us another beautiful Grandaughter.

Her mum also had Breast Cancer but in her 40s.

They are both fine now thankfully.

I made the scarves as a fundraiser when we did the Relay For Life this year. Made $100 toward the fund.

Here is a link to the picture so you can see if you would like your mum to have one.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/TradeMe155.jpg

Good Luck.

Colleen.

Oh Thank you all soooo much for your input......I am still deciding what I will make for sure....But I will be sure to post a photo of it before I send it to her.....Thank you again for your help!:hug

I just finished a shawl for my mom who has cancer. I used Caron SS in Aran. The great thing about shawls is that you can use any stitch you want and make it as wide and long as you wish. I prefer rectangular shawls so I made it 82" long & 23" wide. My mom loves it and because she gets chilled more often, she using it a lot.

Well I have started it...you can see it along with some other pictures of my work in my Photobucket! I still haven't figured out how to link the photo from there to here...LOL

Here is the pattern......(I just figured out how to do this)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DSC05638.jpg

Hello ~

I've been making prayer shawls or comfort shawls since last fall. The pattern I've used is this one (which is quick and simple):

Can use M, N or P hook

Pattern -

Loosely chain about 43 stitches (or 54 or 63 if you want it wider - which uses more yarn).

First Row: Half-double crochet in third chain from hook and in each chain across.

Repeated Row: Chain 2, turn. Half-double crochet in each half-double crochet across.

Work about 2 1/2 skeins in this pattern (based on 43 stitches). Use the rest of the yarn for fringe, which can be from 3" to 9" long. Knot the ends of the fringes to keep the yarn from frizzing.

Hello Butterfly! Thank you for the pattern! it sounds very easy but pretty.......I hope to try it out soon....unfortunately I know of atleast 3 other breast Cancer survivors:cry...I want to make one for all of them and then branch out into the donation mode.....your input is appreciated! Thanks again......

• 2 weeks later...

At JoAnn's and for a while at A.c. Moore I saw a packaged crochet kit for a scarf in a beautiful pink shade, that when done, looked like the Breast Cancer Ribbon. I don't know if they still sell it, but you could ask them about it if you don't have another idea first. All the yarn and directions was in the package with the directions---I think it was put out by LionBrand but am not real certain. It was very pretty and a real tribute to cancer survivors.

:cheer Absolutely Fabulous job you have done.:cheer

The colour is great too.

I got your PM LadyCrochat and will take action tomorrow as I said in my PM to you.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I received one anonomously from a survivor who was tracked at the same cancer center when I was going through chemo and it is the highlight of my collection! I had skin sensitivity issues, and this was perfect. It was made from Caron Simply Soft hot pink yarn and edged in black and silver furry stuff! It was perfect on my skin and the note that came with it said that it was hot pink and flashy because even a sick woman should feel hot and glamourous! It came with a matching hat, like a cowboy hat, and a matching kercheif/doorag. It was amazing!!

Archived