First felting project - well traveled bag

flyinghooks

You did a wonderful job, Ginny! Did your DH help you with the grommets or did you do them yourself? I want to do that pattern but to tell you the truth, the grommets are the part that scare me the most!

You have a beautiful felted purse! Job well done!

:cheer:clap:cheer

You did a wonderful job, Ginny! Did your DH help you with the grommets or did you do them yourself? I want to do that pattern but to tell you the truth, the grommets are the part that scare me the most!

You have a beautiful felted purse! Job well done!

:cheer:clap:cheer

Thanks!!

The grommets were not that hard - just need to take your time!. If you see yourself making other purses/bags requiring grommtes then I would purchase the grommet "plier-looking" tool. I didn't. I just used the little tool that comes with the grommets and a hammer.

I stabbed a hole in the bag with scissors - made it wider (opened the scissors) & put in the grommets. Then I placed the bag on a towel (folded over to soften the blow) on my garage floor. Hammer (not too hard) to roll the grommet edges over. I hit the first one too hard (ended up ripping it out with a pair of needle nose pliers) and it flattened the outer grommet of it looked ugly!! That's when I folded the towel a few times under the grommet to soften the blow!

• 2 years later...

I have just made this bag....infact its going round in a 60% wash as I type! I was wondering.....what shall I use as handles? not sure I want leather....I would love to know what anyone else who made this bag used? shall I crochet a cord and felt that in matching colours or use something else! ????????????

Oh My Goodness, that is so lovely! I've never done felting, don't have a washer at home so it might be challenging, but oh my! I could use a bag like that for my song books...

You can always felt at home with a new plunger or a potato masher and hot water. While I don't recommend it for large projects, smaller ones are easier for me that way than with a washer. Coin purse size, etc. and a yarn that felts fast, like Patons SWS. In fact, I've heard you have to be careful it doesn't felt too fast if you want a certain size object in the end.

Archived