Patriotic CAL ~ Anyone interested?

donnalynn2

Hey all,

I stepped in here and joined quite awhile back, but sorta got off track ( which is easy for me to do ) .

I am re-signing up to do this, but I'm gonna "CHEAT" just a little .

I am going to make a red, white and blue ripple afghan, so I can call it a Patriotic CAL plus a Ripple CAL ...

That way , I can join 2 CAL's at once --- :lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooh! I've been wanting to do a flag afghan for a while and now this gives me an excuse! Thanks!

I'm going to do the Americana Afghan from LionBrand's site. But I might not be able to start on it for a couple of weeks. Homespun, though LOVELY, is a bit expensive. Anyone know if it's still on sale at JoAnn's??

:hook

There's a pretty US Flag afghan in Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs that I'd love to do. I don't have the yarn for it right now and I get the dirty look still for having too much yarn for projects. :(

Crochetaj, check out Joanns.com and look at your local sales flyer to see what they've got on sale. :) There's 3 Lion Brand yarns on sale according to that flyer, but I don't know if any of them are what you're looking for.

I started this flag afghan long ago and after seeing BarbaraJean make the same one, I was hoping that I would dig mine out and finish. I haven't quite done so, but I'm still going to say that I too want to join and make that particular flag design. The starts are made individually in rounds... I think that's why I stopped. Lots and lots of stars!

But I'll join and hope for the best. ;)

I started this afghan yesterday for my father, the stars are so cute! Already done 13 of them.

OK.. I'm back in... I forgot all about wanting to do this... My son is an MP and I would like to do one for him.....I also designed some flag coasters 3 years ago and finished 2.... perhaps I better finish off that set before I do anything else...2 birds with one stone.. finishing a UFO and particiapting in the Patriotic CAL

I am now up to 24 stars and had to take a break. The Arthritis in my hands are giving me a fit tonight. My husband wants me to keep this afghan a secret to surpise my dad and and I'm inclined to agree if I can keep my mouth shut.

My dad is 81 and a veteran of WWII, he served in France towards the end of the war.

Anyone notice that this afghan has 6 pointed stars and there is only 46?

Wow! Sounds like you're moving right along! I really need to pick up my flag again and finish the durn thing. I'm glad somebody is making progress! Can't wait to see a pic of your completed ghan!

Anyone notice that this afghan has 6 pointed stars and there is only 46?

I hate that it isn't a better replica of the American Flag, but to me it's the best looking American flag pattern.

Years ago I made a few stars, but I'm changing yarn types, and I think I should start over with all the stars! Guess I should start... anytime now! ;)

JinGA - I got the pattern for the afghan out of a thick book by Leisure Arts and my husband picked it out for Daddy. If I was creative enough I'd alter it and only put 13 stars on it and tell my father that's how many where on the flag when he was born. It actually became a history lesson for the family, there hasn't been 46 stars on the flag since 1912 when Arizona and New Mexico where added. I loved the 6 point star pattern and they where easy to do.

JinGA- it's a shame that you haven't gotten quite as far as I have and that on one else is doing the same pattern, I could use a bit of help. I'll be finished with the stripes in a few days and it's calling for using a sc border going around the stripes using corrisponding colors which also means you have to either join with a slip stitch or cut the yarn and tie a knot in it. Neither one is going to give the finished flag a nice look. I want to either do the border as is then after it's put together add a row of gold or just do the inside border (just where the star field joins the stripes) then do an outside border in gold. What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to join. I have a pattern to do a flag in crochet thread and have hesitated doing it because of it being time consuming when I have so many charity items that I want to do. I think doing one in yarn is a much better idea.

I have a son aboard the USS Enterprise. They left for sea April 30th and won't be back until November. I already miss him terribly even though he has been in the Navy for 12 years. I liked it better when he was a recruiter or when he was training recruits @ Great Lakes because I could actually drive down to see him when I went to the doctor in Chicago. I could talk to him on the phone too. Gee I wonder if he will call for Mother's Day...probably not :no .

Is it too late to join on this one? I would love to make one to send to my husband in Afghanistan!!

It's not to late to join! The other ladies here have so much going on, other projects. I finished mine in less than 2 weeks working on it nearly non stop. I like doing one project at a time otherwise it may become a UFO. My pattern came out of the Leisure Arts "Our Best Afghans A to Z" and the stars were very easy to do.

Great! I am crocheting nonstop too these days. Keeps my mind off my husband's deployment!!

• 2 months later...

I'm in! Just so happens that I am done with school (for a month anyway) at the end of this week and I am going to be doing an afghan stitch afghan with the US flag and Union Jack attached with a border for a friend of mine that is from England but lives here in the US.

I don't know how to post pics here but if you go to:

http://www.designsbyjami.on.ca/frames.htm you will see it. The difference is that the American flag will be on the top when I do mine.

This lady is wonderful. She is great about answering questions and this is the only place that I was able to find a Union Jack pattern. Of course I had to pay for the pattern but it was well worth it.

Can anyone email me and tell me how to post pics on here? I would like to post a pic when I am done with it.

Thanks all. I will let you know how the progress is going.

Good luck to all! Have A Great Week!

• 3 months later...

I have made a red, white, and blue bag made out of plastic bags. To bad I have no way of putting on the site I wish I did. All you crocheters would flap over it. No one out there so far was come up with a bag in this style and i would like to share my ideas and tips with others.

jennifer

this summer I started an afghan that is a red, white, & blue granny square. 1 big granny square. it is an idea I had that I have never seen. Anyway I stopped because I wanted to needlepoint stars around the blue strip. I haven't got back to it. Maybe when I finish joining my black & white strips for my daughter-in-laws bd gift I'll start finishing mine too! I want to learn how to post pictures too. Is this what you are talking about? Lavenia

Archived