Patriotic CAL ~ Anyone interested?

donnalynn2

Oh I have been eyeballing that first flag afghan for days now. I even printed it up this morning. Is it too late to sign up? It will be a while before I can get started. I have to buy the yarn a little at a time. That's a lot of yarn LOL. But I really want to make this, it would be a great gift for dh for christmas next year (me being realistic about myself:lol )

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this pattern & would love to do it....but! I don't know how to change colors. What I know of crocheting I've learned myself. I have a friend who said she'd teach me how to change colors so maybe I can learn for the next time.

• 1 month later...

In Finland it's considered disgraceful to wear a flag or use the flag as something other than just flag, like a throw, blanket, afghan, rug - especially rug!

I can't understand why the Americans are so happy to use their flag as potholders, dishrags and G-d knows what, because all that is to me... well... disgraceful. I couldn't imagine wiping tables with my flag, or trampling on it, wiping my feet on it, sitting on it, dragging it on dirt...

How do you think about this?

I don't know if my ansewer will help you. but this is my reasoning to wearing and making flag items. And yes when you put it the way you did it does seem to be disrespectful but to us americans it is a way to show our love to country. Not only do have the things we make into flags, if only you would see want our country sells in stores with the flag on it. Anything and everything you can think of we have it with a flag on it or our colors. not everyone has a flag pole in there front yard to hang a flag, if i did i would but i live in a trailer park. that would be a good idea to make a law that every house build has to have a flag pole in the yard. Thanks for the question i never thought of it that way. But i will still wear and make flag things for everyone to know that i love the USA.

:think I agree that we mean no disrespect to our flag by making things & wearing them, it's a sign of our respect for our country & love of it. Guess it might be hard for another nation to understand.

I didn't want to spoil anyone's joy over using their flag/colors on items, so I apologize if I did that. This is just so difficult to me to understand. I suppose it is because of different cultural backgrounds.

I have a blue and white ribbon on my coat, earrings and necklace with the Finnish lion on, I decorate my home to feasts with "flag string", and I have a small flag I wave when ever Finland is competing on the telly :-)

We can buy tiny flag poles one can put by the window, on balcony, by the door, if one wants to. I think you have those too. That might be a solution for people who live without a flag pole on front yard :-)

I am very proud of my country, love Her to bits and think our flag is the most beautiful flag in the world - just as every patriotic person. So that love and pride I do understand fully :-)

Hugs,

Ket

Archived