Grapes bottle-cap hotpad from vintage pattern

racerose

Love it!! I actually have a set of those that my grandmother had (they are quite tattered and worn, lol - they work great) - I looked for the pattern when we cleaned out her house but never found it, I'm not even entirely sure whether she made them or someone gave them to her. :( How did you find the book? I'd love to find a copy of it.

Luckily my boyfriend drinks bottled beer - Red Stripe, Shiner Bock, Sweetwater, etc.. Also luckily, he doesn't drink so much; so it took a while to save up the bottlecaps :)

He also managed to not "bend" the caps when opening the bottles. That's kind of important.

Yeah, not sure if plastic bottle caps would work as a hotpad.

You did a great job. I have always loved that pattern, but have never made it. What kind of bottle caps did you use? The only kind I ever get here are plastic and I didn't know if they would work or not.

How did you find the book? I'd love to find a copy of it.

I bought a stack of vintage crochet booklets on eBay and this booklet was included in it. Since I wanted to crochet faster using size 3 (instead of size 10) thread, I made up the grape pattern. I'll add the leaves pattern to my blog soon.

Thanks for the compliments!

There's a very similar pattern for the grapes here if anybody wants it, though I like yours better because it doesn't have an open space between the grapes.

Using the pattern Chrome Kitty linked to should work just fine. You can avoid having any open spaces between the grapes when you sew the grapes together. As long as you sew them tightly together (which isn't hard to do), you won't have any spaces.

Thanks for sharing that pattern, Kitty! and thanks for the compliments everyone!

Archived