Greetings From Oregon

JouJou

hello everyone! my name is Stephanie, i am 20 years old, i live in portland, oregon and i am teaching myself how to crochet. i thought i would join a crochet forum to talk to other people with this interest... right now my first project is making a harry potter slytherin scarf. anyway talk to you all later.

:manyheart

JouJou

:) i am having a really hard time getting the hang of crocheting... i am not sure i am doing it right and all i have a book to help guide me... i am a very visual person and the book does have pictures but not the actual motion of what i am supposed to do... i kind of got it a little bit last night i think but it looked really bad. but i am not giving up, i refused to give up... i am just going to sit here and frustrate myself until i get it right. there is a social on december 6th, they said to bring in my latest project and they will help me, so maybe before i start on my scarf i should talk to people who know what to do. :blush

JouJou

:welcome from Oklahoma, Stephanie. This is such a great place to learn. There are several good online tutorials. There is a good one here on Crochet Pattern Central's site, just click on Basic Crochet Instructions. Lion Brand also has a good Learn to Crochet site, and about.com also has a really good tutorial with some good beginner patterns. Hope those help. Everyone here is really friendly, just let us know if you have questions!

i am trying very hard to not get frustrated, but the only stitch i can do is the chain stitch and i am getting really frustrated with the half double crochet... i am about to give up because i can't seem to figure it out, and i have been looking at tutorials all over the net, i have a book also, and i can't figure out how to do it... i don't know what to do when i get the first half double crochet.

JouJou :(

Welcome to Crochetville:cheer You will find many people here willing to help you. You may get frustrated but like anything else it will come with practice and then there will be no stopping you.

Mary

:hi there and :welcome from NY!!!

I was just in your beautiful state about 2 weeks ago and love the state of OR!!! Have some good friends that live there and had a blast!

Hope you find lots of warmth, inspiration and help here!

JouJou, don't get frustrated. If you don't have someone to show you stitches, go to stitchguide.com--they have great videos of all the different stitches. They are so clear, and you can watch them over and over--that's what I did to learn stitches my mother didn't know. Once you got the basics,there's nothing you can't do! Hang in there! :hug Patty

thanks everyone! i appreciate it... :) i am doing better on my crocheting, i have learned the basic stitches the only problem is that the thread i was using was wool-ease from lion brand so i went back to the craft store and got Paton's Bohemian Yarn, it's a lot easier to work with and once i learn crocheting better i plan to go back to the wool-ease and make my harry potter scarf. :hook

Archived