2 "chemo" hats

yarn_monkey

My stepmom's co-worker is currently going through chemo for breast cancer. She still does some work from the office and my stepmom found out that the co-worker hates the hats that she has. They're very small and tight and thin so they don't do anything to help keep her warm in the office air conditioner. So my stepmom asked me to make some hats for her that don't look like basic beanies. Something different and bright colors were the only guidelines! 

Multi-color and teal hat

Yarn- Deborah Norville Serenity Chunky in Spring and RHSS in Turqua

Pattern from Ravelry- Side-Cable Cloche

Pink Hat

Hat- LB Homespun in Tulips

Pattern from LB- Flowered Cloche

Flower- Bernat Waverly, no band so I'm not sure on the color 

Pattern here

And a vintage button in the middle 

They went out to my stepmom in the mail today. I can't wait to see what they think! 

post-11765-0-85224300-1443761151_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-99895400-1443761155_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-00358600-1443761165_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-60023900-1443761160_thumb.jpg

Both are lovely. I also like the way you used the button in the middle of the flower. Your mom's friend at work is sure to love them- not to mention the sweet gesture too.

Question: Did you add rows to the pink brim to make it roll better than what the pattern photo shows?

Thanks, everyone!

Both are lovely. I also like the way you used the button in the middle of the flower. Your mom's friend at work is sure to love them- not to mention the sweet gesture too.

Question: Did you add rows to the pink brim to make it roll better than what the pattern photo shows?

I did it exactly the way the pattern said! Best I can tell is that the picture on the pattern didn't take full advantage of the front loop stitches. Plus when I folded it up for my picture, I used the flower pin to hold that side up a little better and I think that helped some. I also crochet kind of loose so that may have something to do with it too lol

Thanks, everyone!

I did it exactly the way the pattern said! Best I can tell is that the picture on the pattern didn't take full advantage of the front loop stitches. Plus when I folded it up for my picture, I used the flower pin to hold that side up a little better and I think that helped some. I also crochet kind of loose so that may have something to do with it too lol

Thank you for the info. I'm getting ready to make some hats for Christmas gifts and this was on my list but had not really read the pattern in detail yet. Your info will put me on the right track. Hope you have a lovely weekend. :) 

Oh, those are wonderful fashion statements, co-worker is going to love these!

I sort of cringe when I see patterns for 'chemo hats', they usually just scream 'chemo patient here'--like the co-worker said, they're thin and don't disguise the bald head well.  I didn't wear them when I had chemo; actually, in my case and climate, I made one and it was too warm, but I also hated the look.  I used scarves, sometimes scarves under purchased cloth or straw hats.  I would definitely have considered these patterns if I'd run across them back then (thanks for the links!).

Oh, those are wonderful fashion statements, co-worker is going to love these!

I sort of cringe when I see patterns for 'chemo hats', they usually just scream 'chemo patient here'--like the co-worker said, they're thin and don't disguise the bald head well.  I didn't wear them when I had chemo; actually, in my case and climate, I made one and it was too warm, but I also hated the look.  I used scarves, sometimes scarves under purchased cloth or straw hats.  I would definitely have considered these patterns if I'd run across them back then (thanks for the links!).

I completely agree! They usually just scream "hey look at me! I'm going through chemo and don't have any hair!" My mom used scarves and had a black straw hat she wore during the summer but when it got cold out, the little terry cloth cap they gave her at the cancer center was awful. It didn't breathe and it didn't give her the coverage she wanted. I made her one like the pink one and it was her favorite. The fact that it was red probably helped because it was her favorite color.  :)

These are very adorable. The people I've known going through chemo are each different. Some like scarves, some don't like hats, some like hats that are from the store and some during the winter like some hats like these. I live in a cold area so it's always good to have soft choices made up for those who like them. We are different and that is good..nobody wants to be the same.  :) Your hats are very cute.

Archived