What loop to crochet in?

khourtniey

Question

I have a feeling I might have been doing this wrong.... When you insert your hook into a stitch what loop do you use... There are two loops Front and Back.. Or do you go through both unless it specifically states back loop/front loop only?

I go through front loop only, always have... but having a feeling now this might not be the way and I should be going through both loops.

16 answers to this question

I guess I should start going through both then :) But old habits will be hard to break and I kind of liked the looseness of it :)

How about when you do a granny square... Do you crochet in the holes where the chs are or do you crochet into the actual chs?

Until last week I was always crocheting into the front loops only, but after reading a post on another site I realised I was probably doing it wrong. I tried working through both loops just to see what difference it made and I was very impressed- it seems much neater and tighter :) I think it also solves the gauge problem I was having- the width of stuff was always right but the height was always over what it should have been- so am very happy that I decided to try it through both loops :D

-My apologizes, I'm still very new to this site and to crochetting so I get excited over every little new thing I learn (and understand!!)

:lol No apologies needed - I'm not so new to crochet and I get excited when I learn new things too - and I've found there's a TON of new things yet for me to learn! We could be here awhile! :heehee

While I'm at it, I happened to re-read what I wrote, and in reference to stitching into chains, my current project (my "brainless" shawl project, as I like to call it, because it doesn't tax it) reminded me of one instance where I do stitch into the chain: when placing my stitch into the previous row's starting chain. I remember I figured out to do this because otherwise I kept ending up with a rather large unsightly hole on those ends of my rows, slipping the hook into the space opened it up too much. My edges are much neater and straighter than they've ever been as a result.

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread! I just taught myself some simple stitches to get started. And once I mastered the sc I made an afgan using that stitch alone with a size Q needle and upon starting a new project- with a few addtional advanced stitches- I'm using a size I and it's still very loose- I'd bet that's why! I'm learning so much from this site. :c9

-My apologizes, I'm still very new to this site and to crochetting so I get excited over every little new thing I learn (and understand!!)

You know, we've had numerous discussions about the "right" and "wrong" ways of doing things here on the board, and I think the general agreement has been that if it works for you, there's absolutely nothing "wrong" about it!

Regarding front, back or both loops, I think it's really a matter of what "look" you're trying to achieve. Each produces a different kind of texture to your stitches, and none are "wrong". I believe (memory's a bit fuzzy here, alas) that it never occurred to me to work through both loops, had always worked through one (and I don't recall whether it was front or back, but I suspect back) until I read that the "proper" way to do it was through both. I now go through both mainly because it does provide a firmer fabric and I tend to stitch loose to begin with, this has helped me produce neater results.

When stitching over chains, I always go through the space beneath them, assuming of course this isn't the foundation chain. I have yet to run across a pattern that stated to place the stitch into the chain, but that doesn't make it "wrong" either!

Regarding how to hold your hook, I'm a knife-style here. I have tried the pencil-style and it makes holding and working with a hook feel alien to me. Just can't do it at all. I also don't wrap the yarn around any fingers, tried that too and just strangled my poor fingers, which wouldn't let the yarn slide, lol! I drape it over my first or second finger and grip it against my palm, and that works well for me.

This, to me, is what makes crochet superior to knitting - it's flexibility! :hook

I taught myself to crochet, so I originally went through both loops. As I got older and started looking at books, I realized this was considered "wrong". Back loop was what was shown in the pictures, forms that nice line across the rows. I hate that. So I choose to do both loops unless I want that ridge thing :-) Glad to know so many others here do both loops, and it's not considered "wrong" :-)

As for chain spaces, I go through the hole, hiding the chain. I like that far better than working in the chain, except for a very few stitches where it oddly looks better in the chain with that bottom loop hanging down. Go figure ...

I was also told many times over the years that I hold my hook wrong (I find the knife position far more comfortable that the pencil position - although I can see how the pencil one facilitates forming some of the advanced stitches (but since I don't do those that often, I could care less LOL). Somebody once commented that I look like I'm knitting when I crochet because my forefingers both stick up - one holds the yarn up, the other is free to assist the yarn/stitch/hook (I think it was the elderly lady's polite way of saying it wasn't 'ladylike' LOL) And yes, I've also been told I hold my yarn wrong - no wrap around the pinky, but my tension's fine, so why change it :-)

What's worse - sometimes when I am crocheting and my kitties won't leave my yarn alone (even when it's in a baggie), I drop the ball of it down the front of my shirt and work that way. Looks strange LOL, really noty 'ladylike, but works well :-)

How about when you do a granny square... Do you crochet in the holes where the chs are or do you crochet into the actual chs?

I also crochet in the holes where the chs are....not in the actual chs. But I agree with everyone here that you should do whatever you like best. If you like the look of what you're doing, don't change it :D

In the spaces (around the chains, rather than through them).

As far as which loop, if you're making something that you want to be more firm, have a try at using both loops. You'd be surprised how fast you might adjust. For the longest time, instead of regular dc (which I *thought* I was doing), I ended up making extended dc because I misread the instructions when I was first learning. At first when I found out what I was doing I thought I'd never get the hang of doing it the regular way, but it didn't take very long at all, maybe just one or two small projects before I was used to it :hook

I used to go thru only the back loop (unless a pattern stated otherwise) until a recent thread on this issue. Once I realized I was doing it wrong, I've been using both loops (unless stated otherwise) and must say it's almost natural to me now and easier to do. The stitches are much more uniformed and 'tighter'.

Same here. I started out crocheting through just one loop (can't remember which loop now though - I think it was the back though) then asked here and discovered I should be going through both. After crocheting for a year it is completely natural to crochet that way and I actually have a harder time doing just one loop!

I used to go thru only the back loop (unless a pattern stated otherwise) until a recent thread on this issue. Once I realized I was doing it wrong, I've been using both loops (unless stated otherwise) and must say it's almost natural to me now and easier to do. The stitches are much more uniformed and 'tighter'.

:hook It always comes out a little more open when you only use one loop.

:think Most patterns usually expect you to use both loops or will say back or front loop only.

:hook Mind you, if you like how it looks, you should do it your way. Maybe it will look different but different is not bad.

:think Enjoyment is the main thing.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I go thru both loops also. Not unless I am aiming for some effect that using only 1 loop will give. But I think that years ago they would only crochet in the back loop. I don't think there is a right or wrong way if you are happy with it.

Archived