New from CA

Calisews

Hello,

I am new to the group. My aunt taught me to crochet in 1970, I was 8. All she taught me was to chain. But I made lots of chains. Then in 1972 as a girl scout, a lady taught us to make necklaces out of stretchy silver thread with big pearls strung on them. I then two years later, a mom from 4-H taught me to make grannie squares. Finally learned something besides a chain. Made about 10 afghans using those squares. Didn't do anything with it, until I had my first baby on the way. Bought a crochet hook and some pastel yarn, you guessed it, made a baby blanket of grannie squares. LOL That was 23 years ago. Hubby's granny was phenomanal when it came to crocheting. In her last years, you could take her the yarn on Monday, come back on Tuesday and pick up a huge afghan. Not squares either. From her I learned a few more stitches and attempted a few things. I used thread to make a pineapple collar for my mother, it barely went around my toddler daughter. LOL She said I am nervous when I work, holding the thread to tightly, so I have to use several sizes larger needle. I gave up for many years. Now, last Christmas, DD 8 received a poncho and loved it. Well, it was bought from a store, made of thin yarn and just not at all suitable to play in, much less the price tag that was on it which thankfully we did not buy. I wanted her to have a more substantial poncho, thicker or heavier yarn. Wow was suprised at the yarns these days. I used a varigated blue, just regular yarn and spent the whole afternoon making it. She loved it, it was quite simple once I got the memory of the stitches back, and cost me less than $4. I was kind of interested again in crochet. Then I went back to my quilting, so much quicker, and didn't pick it up again until last May. Then, saw on one of my groups a pair of flip flops made by another member. Knew then that was right up my daughter's alley. I made those in about 30 minutes to the amazement of the ladies sitting in the trailer with me. (We were camped in the dessert for dirt bike races) They were such a hit, using the fun fur, that ended up making several pairs. Then nothing else. Now, I saw a photo of a shawl a fellow group member made and had to make it. I didn't use the suggested yarn, but what I used made the shawl so warm and soft. Okay, long story, now I am hooked. I have something to do when I can't sew or quilt. I have already started a new project, a poncho, which won't take long if I just get off the computer and work on it. Have had sick child home all week, now I am sick as well. LOL

I am a stay home mom to DS 20 (leaves home in a week has joined the Navy), DS 16 and DD 8. Our oldest DD is married, holds the grand son 2 hostage in West TX where we lived until 2000 when dear sweet hubby transferred here to Central CA. Almost lost him in 2001 to colon cancer, but after surgery and chemo is doing great. My other excuses for not doing house work are quilting, sewing, machine embroidery, and writing unpublished (not for lack of trying) romance novels. Most historical, as I was a pioneer woman on a ranch in the mountains in a past life. LOL Hubby kids that I have a pin or pen in my hand, or mouth, or behind an ear, at all times. Besides my newest obsession of crocheting, I have found the world of blogs. The world has come so far. I thought I was on the cutting edge when I could print pen pal letters from my dot printer and Commadore computer. ROFL

I have already organized a list of gift projects to work on for Christmas. Some are sewing, some are now crochet. I have really enjoyed what little I have explored of the group so far. I apologize for this being long winded. I am home all the time with little talk among fellow adults. LOL

Looking forward to getting to know all of you,

Dianna

Steph,

Went to your blog site, love the square. Where in CA are you, what restaurant to you have? Hubby travels, always looking for places to eat.

Dianna

Archived