Am I the crazy cat lady?

So i was talking to my 25 year old crochet friend I am 40 and we realized that crochet here in the states seems to be a an "old lady" hobby. This makes me sad. I look at the patterns and shares from other countries and these are average women all ages and they are proud but as she said it seems any day we will wake up with 40 cats and be 90 crocheting. This makes me sad, why are we forced into the closet? What can we do to make this great hobby more "main stream"?

Modern patterns help a lot, but i wish people would see it as we (my friend and I) do; look at this amazing stuff we can make with simple yarn. 

well, one can't really control what other people think.  At the same time, I have to ask why you feel forced  into the closet?

If you like to make hats, scarves, shawls etc., or garments, wear them proudly and when you get a compliment you can say "I crocheted it myself!", that can be a way to raise awareness of crochet.  

You know, there is nothing wrong with being 90, hopefully we will all live long lives.  And there really is no connection between crocheting and owning cats!   :lol

So i was talking to my 25 year old crochet friend I am 40 and we realized that crochet here in the states seems to be a an "old lady" hobby. This makes me sad. I look at the patterns and shares from other countries and these are average women all ages and they are proud but as she said it seems any day we will wake up with 40 cats and be 90 crocheting. This makes me sad, why are we forced into the closet? What can we do to make this great hobby more "main stream"?

Modern patterns help a lot, but i wish people would see it as we (my friend and I) do; look at this amazing stuff we can make with simple yarn. 

My "girls" in my crochet class come in all shapes, sizes and ages--from 21 to 92!!  We are constantly busy--making baby clothes, stuffed toys, scarves, shawls and afghans!!  We donate the majority to hospitals, prayer shawl ministries, nursing homes, and sell the remainder to get money for yarn, because we are totally non-profit!  And we're having such great fun--we don't worry about being "main stream"!  And, yes, several of us are owned by cats--and LOVE it!

and we realized that crochet here in the states seems to be a an "old lady" hobby.

Take a look at Raverly and the projects pages, look at the profiles of who is making things.  Look at the boards, there are all ages from 13 to 90.

This makes me sad, why are we forced into the closet?

I've been crocheting since I was a teen and am now older than you and I've never felt that way.

What can we do to make this great hobby more "main stream"?

I feel it is main stream.  Lots of people do it; young, old, women, men.

Runways have crochet pieces every year it seems like.

Lots of books on Amazon.

I personally think that times have changed and so have viewpoints in regards to fiber arts. Especially crochet and knitting. My 3 daughters all crochet and a few of my grand daughters do too. One of my 4 sons learned also in his early 20's.

Those that stereotype what we so love to do are a bit narrow minded and do not see beyond the hook or needles. They also tend to be people that choose not to be very creative no matter the craft. 

In part, the yarn companies have made a big impact for us by being all over the Internet, in magazines and in craft stores. Can you imagine how concepts would change even more if the major yarn companies advertised on television? Especially on the younger geared program's ads?

I made my 1st granny square when I was 9 (10?). I started teaching myself when I was a teen (13 or 14?). I been crocheting ever since. I always take a project with me. I'm 53 and I don't plan to stop. When I die they'll find me with hook and yarn in hand (they can bury me it with too :lol ).

Ellie 13

P.S. I don't own/want cats. 

• 4 weeks later...

my son tells me they will find me on my porch with hook and yarn in hand,and coffee at my feet....cant live without either...if folks think im an old granmy becausr i enjoy makimg things with my hands,so be it. i was pit on this earth with a special gift and i intend to use that gift to create beautiful items that will be here long after im gone....then when someone says, thats beautiful where did you get it, my family and frienda can say....Lisa made it, sitting on the porch,sitting in the swing with coffee between her feet....lol

• 1 month later...

I think the crazy cat lady reference is because of all those cutie cards and posters with cats and balls of yarn TOGETHER...lol!

I don't care what people think of me....but seems like everyone I know either wants me to teach them how to hook(my 20 yo goddaughter as well as 52 yo friend) or they pay me for gifts they ask me to make... :)

A few years ago, I was sitting in the surgical waiting room of the hospital and crocheting one of my totes.  A woman came over and sat down.  She asked what I was making and I told her.  She said her DIL crochets and she gave her a doily for Christmas.  What was she to do with this doily?  I told her, why don't you help her with something for you that you will like.  Tell her what you would like and she could make it for you.  I then proceeded to list all we can make. 

She was impressed and said she thought it was only potholders and doilies that can be crocheted.  I also told her that it would make her DIL's day if she told her what she would like and how pretty or what she felt about it.

It is amazing, but there were three women sitting there, thinking we can only make potholders and doilies.

I have been crocheting for 23 years and I still am amazed at what we can do. 

A few years ago, I was sitting in the surgical waiting room of the hospital and crocheting one of my totes.  A woman came over and sat down.  She asked what I was making and I told her.  She said her DIL crochets and she gave her a doily for Christmas.  What was she to do with this doily?  I told her, why don't you help her with something for you that you will like.  Tell her what you would like and she could make it for you.  I then proceeded to list all we can make. 

She was impressed and said she thought it was only potholders and doilies that can be crocheted.  I also told her that it would make her DIL's day if she told her what she would like and how pretty or what she felt about it.

It is amazing, but there were three women sitting there, thinking we can only make potholders and doilies.

I have been crocheting for 23 years and I still am amazed at what we can do. 

What, they never heard of afghans ?!?!

I've been crocheting over 30 years, and I've had cats even longer (not the same ones, of course :lol ), and I no longer care if anyone out there thinks I'm a crazy crocheting cat lady! What I do and the pets I have, I love! And actually, people always like my kitties, and I've never had anyone turn down a crocheted gift yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I was called a granny at 18 because I'd been crocheting most of my life. Eh, I just ignore it. "Granny" is the least offensive thing I've been called by people my age and I've never cared much to fit in with them. Besides, it's something my great-grandmother, grandmothers, and mother have passed on to me. My mother may not do much yarnwork these days, but it feels like a family tradition.

I don't yet have a cat because it is likely a form of animal cruelty to own a pet while the house is being run by a toddler. :P

But when he's older, definitely getting a cat!

Archived