Harriet - 18" doll

darski

This pattern is my version of two outfits worn by Harriet Vane who is Lord Peter Wimsey's love for life.  These are from the story "Have His  Carcase".

One outfit is for hunting clues and the other is for hunting husbands (eventually :rofl )

post-4896-0-59550500-1399467198_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-95008800-1399467199_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-41598900-1399467201_thumb.jpg

The PDF is Here:Harriet.pdf

I love the Peter Wimsey series and still can't choose between Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge for Peter and don't get me started on Bunter :wlol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Sherbear10 said:

The PDF isn't working its all jumbled no real words.  Love your patterns so I'm disappointed.

the PDF worked for me but here is the Word Docs without the pics  If you can see the pics in the PDF you should be able to work it out.

Harriet – 18” doll

I am a big fan of the Lord Peter Wimsey stories and I have been enjoying “Have His Carcass”. This set shows 2 of Harriet’s outfits from the BBC production of the story.

Red heart soft touch in 2 shades and a WW yarn in claret colour.  A pinky variegated yarn will do for the scarf.

5.mm, 5.5mm and 6.mm hooks.

Elastic waistband

e-dc – extended dc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5iyH_mj7s

The hat… 

Join all rounds

w/ RH soft touchTM  light grey and 6.mm hook (for a drape-y fabric) ch 4

Row 1: 9 dc in 2nd ch from hook. (10 dc)

Row 2: work dc in every dc and FPdc around every dc. (10 dc, 10 FPdc)

Round 3: 2dc in 1st, *FPdc around FPdc, 2 dc in next* repeat to end, end with FPdc around FPdc, (20dc, 10 FPdc)

Round 4: *2dc in 1, dc in next, FPdc around FPdc,* rep to end. (30dc, 10 FPdc)

Round 5: *2dc in 1, dc in next 2, FPdc around FPdc,* rep to end. (40dc, 10 FPdc)

Rounds 6-7… continue as established working an increase at the beginning of each section of the hat and maintaining the FPdc ridges.

Rounds 8-9: work evenly maintaining pattern.

Switch to 5.mm hook

Row 10: sc evenly around. Turn

Row 11: *sc in 4, sc dec next* rep to end…however it works out J  turn

Row 12: *sc in 5, sc dec next* rep around.

Skirt…

w/ dk grey and 5.mm hook work 45 sc around elastic waistband.

Row 1: *dc in 4, 2dc in next* rep around

Rows 2-10: dc evenly.

Row 11: work in dc making 4 increases evenly around where kick pleats would usually be in a skirt.

Rows 12-13:  dc evenly. Break off and tidy ends.

Sweater…

I chose to go with the dc/hdc rows to produce a pattern effect.

w/Soft touch yarn in light grey and 5.5mm hook ch 26…

Row 1:dc in 3rd ch from hook *dc in 1, 2 dc in next* rep to end. (38dc)

Row 2: [hdc in 5, 2 hdc in next 2] twice, hdc in 10, [2 hdc in next 2, hdc in 5] twice.

Row 3: dc in 6, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 7, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 12, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 7, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 6 .

Row 4: hdc in 7, 2 hdc in next 2, hdc in 9, 2hdc in next 2, hdc in 14, 2 hdc in next 2, hdc in 9, 2 hdc in next 2, hdc in 7

Row 5: dc in 8, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 11, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 16, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 11, 2 dc in next 2, dc in 8 .

Row 6: hdc in 10, hdc between sts, sk 15, hdc between sts, hdc in 16, hdc between sts, sk 16, hdc between sts, hdc in 10. (44hdc)

Row 7: dc in10, 2dc in next, dc in 22, 2dc in next, dc in 10. (46dc)

Row 8, 10 & 12: hdc evenly across

Row 9&11 : dc evenly

Row 13:*hdc in 1, FPdc around next* repeat across…

Work edgings and collar…

Work 3 hdc in corner st, hdc along left back edge,

Mark Centre Front of neck, work [dc in 1, 2dc in next] up to 2 from CF…

Work 2 tr in next, ch3,slst into next 2, ch 3, 2tr in next, continue in [dc in1, 2dc in next] to end,

Work in hdc along right edge making buttonholes as you go,

Work one more row of hdc/post stitches along bottom of sweater.  Break off and tidy all ends.

Scarf…

w/ variegated yarn and 5.5mm hook ch 64…

tr into 5th ch from hook

tr in 3,

e-dc in 4

dc in 6

hdc in 32

dc in 6

e-dc in 4

tr in 4

break off and tidy ends.

If I were doing this again I would have made it much longer to tie better.

“Claret” dress…

This dress is worked from the waist up and then from the waist dow

w/ WW yarn in claret colour and 5.mm hook ch 36

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and across.(35sc)

Row 2: *sc in 5, 2sc in next*end w/ sc in 5. (40sc)

Rows 3-6: sc evenly

Row 7: hdc in 7, slst in 6, hdc in 14, slst in 6, hdc in 7

Row 8: hdc in7, ch 10, sk to next hdc, hdc in 14, ch1, sk to next hdc, hdc in7.

Row 9:{RS} hdc in 5, work a double hdc dec over 2hdc and 1 ch st, sc in 8 ch, work a double hdc dec over 1 ch st and 2hdc, hdc in 10,  work a double hdc dec over 2hdc and 1 ch st, sc in 8 ch, work a double hdc dec over 1 ch st and 2hdc, hdc in 5.

You should now be at the right-back top edge

Edging around bodice…

Work sc along right back edge making button loops as you go.

Along waist edge work [sc in 1, ch2, sk 1]

Sc along left back edge,

Work along top edge in sc making double dec at ea corner.  Break off and tidy any ends.

Return to waist…

Att yarn and work dc in ea sc and 3dc in ea ch2 space.( I have 70 dc… close is good enough)

Row 10-11 : dc evenly and join at the end of row 11.

Row 12: work in dc staggering 4 increases around.

Row 13: dc evenly.

Repeat rows 12 and 13  2 times

Rows 18-20: dc evenly. 

Edging… work sc/ch2 in every dc.

Flimmery bits…

Att yarn at shoulder top.  You will work over that  and 2 sts to the back.  [slst in st. work ch17,slst in same, ch15, slst in same] as designated.

The idea is to get to a “Waltz” length gown so you are likely best at deciding when you get there.  Do as many rows as you need keeping the established pattern.  I think I went a row too many but it is waltz length.

Note: those interesting blobs are turtles… seaside… turtles… get it J

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2013

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

18.011.20055 is the latest Acrobat Reader version (I have Windows 10 if that matters), and the PDF was formatted correctly for me as well.  Sherbear, maybe check to see that your version is up to date?

I wish I'd been able to watch the Wimsey series on TV back in the 60s-70s, it wasn't something my folks wanted to watch so I missed out.  Only recently just saw a movie where he was portrayed by an American, of all things (Robert Montgomery).

29 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I wish I'd been able to watch the Wimsey series on TV back in the 60s-70s, it wasn't something my folks wanted to watch so I missed out.  Only recently just saw a movie where he was portrayed by an American, of all things (Robert Montgomery).

that was "Busman's Honeymoon".  I could never watch it because of Ian Carmichael and then Petherbridge.  Actually,  I don't care for that story... just couldn't get into the characters or the story.

Yep.  It was a little (a lot) convoluted, but then I like the funky old whodunnits, with amusingly twisty plots.  Not gory, just plotty, 'Col. Mustard in the drawing room with a paper clip' sort of stuff.  I've been enjoying the Father Brown Mysteries on PBS recently, reminds me (a bit) of some of Agatha Christie's stuff.

Archived