Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been researching this.   It's a bit heavy for me to soak in water, roll in towels to damp dry and then shape like I would if I hand washed a wool garment.  I'm going to do a soft block where you spray the garment to dampen and then stretch and pin it to shape.  Let air dry.  Seems that rayon is weaken by water but not cotton.  The shiny thread in Mimosa is the rayon part I would assume. 

Did we ever get a response for a translation of the care symbols on the yarn band?  I don't recall one.

I don't know what the policy here @ Crochetville about including outside links but I here is one about Z and S twist and blocking.  It's a long piece but chock full of info from respected sources: http://dorischancroc.../category/yarn/  Interesting read.

I also have a source for inexpensive foam pads you can use for blocking, no not the kids stuff that can leach dye onto you garments.  

Note: to moderator ..... remove link if it is in violation of your policy and my apologies in advance.  

Thank you @Lnb804!  The attached article is really helpful... I'm going to try it when I'm done... tonight or tomorrow, I hope!

not quite done.  I am probably going to need another skein of yarn.  I am very disappointed  with myself that I used a larger hook.  I put my ch 3's around the border to close together also and it looks more ruffled then some that have posted pix.  It also hangs down to my knees when I put it on and I am 5' 4".  I am going to make another some day and need to remember what I did that I dind't like!!

I am considering buying some more of the yarn to make a couple more projects.  But the pictures are throwing me off a bit: the "jade" looks very bluish (more teal or turquoise), the coral looks more pinkish, etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the colors?

I'm doing the coral and it is more pinkish.

Just saw a post on Crochetville facebook page:

"Hello all! Amy is ok, and things should be back to normal soon. Unfortunately I'm not the Facebook guru she is, and I'm also on the road this weekend. I'll do my best. We love all you guys! ~Donna"

So hopefully whatever has happened to Amy, all is now good and she will be back with us soon.

More info from the facebook page from Amy:

Hi, everyone! Sorry I haven't been around the past week. It's been a very difficult week here at home. My mom had some very serious surgery , and had some unexpected complications. She's doing well now, and I'll be back around.

I just read that too!  No wonder she hasn't been around....I feel so bad for her and for thinking she had deserted us.  Amy I hope all is okay with your Mom and she continues to improve daily!  

Answer: Label Care Symbols:

There were a few posts regarding the care symbols on the label of our yarn for this project. I sent a request to the seller for the interpretation, her is the answer.

Hi Gloria

Mimosa care:

Hand wash cold water or gentle cycle, do not bleach, dry flat, low iron temp, do not wring.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! 

Mona Modica
Creative Yarn Source
creativeyarnsource.com

Hello, I finished the back and started one front following the UK version.

I have a question re. the shoulder shaping.

I already saw 1 correction in post nr 2 (at the end of row 43) but I think there is another mistake in the pattern.

After doing rows 32-42 we have to start the shoulder shaping. The description is clear to me but I think there is something wrong anyhow.

The decreases are on the wrong side!!! They are on the frontline! I counted and counted my rows all over again to see if I did a mistake and I think I did it all good . Can someone help me please with this?

thanks in advance

Hello, I finished the back and started one front following the UK version.

I have a question re. the shoulder shaping.

I already saw 1 correction in post nr 2 (at the end of row 43) but I think there is another mistake in the pattern.

After doing rows 32-42 we have to start the shoulder shaping. The description is clear to me but I think there is something wrong anyhow.

The decreases are on the wrong side!!! They are on the frontline! I counted and counted my rows all over again to see if I did a mistake and I think I did it all good . Can someone help me please with this?

thanks in advance

You may want to email the pattern designer for clarification if you do not get a response for the UK version.  There had been problems with the American version which I am not sure translate into the same with the UK one.

Hopefully someone using the UK version will chime in.

OK here it is.  Unblocked ...... I don't think it needs to be but might do it anyway to set the stitches and finally cut off the weave in ends.  I shortened the sleeves to just 2 rows.  I tried the 9 rows and it just looked weird on me.  

post-70534-0-71125900-1393883496_thumb.jpg

OK here it is.  Unblocked ...... I don't think it needs to be but might do it anyway to set the stitches and finally cut off the weave in ends.  I shortened the sleeves to just 2 rows.  I tried the 9 rows and it just looked weird on me.  

attachicon.gifDSC04680.JPG

Looks great! I'm going to make another one, and I might just shorten the sleeves too...my arms are too short and it is long sleeved on me.

Looks great! I'm going to make another one, and I might just shorten the sleeves too...my arms are too short and it is long sleeved on me.

The sleeves were a little more than halfway to my wrists.  It just didn't look right.  The shorter sleeves look much nicer on me.  

Are you using the same yarn?  I'm looking for a sale on Vanna's Glamour .... LOL

I worked a 9th shell into the last stitch on row 30.  I think the problem might be with row 31.  It just looks weird.  I did not chain 3 to start row 31, but instead followed the pattern and worked one shell in the 6th chain from the hook. I ended up with 9 shells at the end of the row.  The pattern says I should have 10.  Help! 

I worked a 9th shell into the last stitch on row 30.  I think the problem might be with row 31.  It just looks weird.  I did not chain 3 to start row 31, but instead followed the pattern and worked one shell in the 6th chain from the hook. I ended up with 9 shells at the end of the row.  The pattern says I should have 10.  Help! 

After you do the last shell (#9) in the last stitch of row 30 you have to chain 7.  Doing a shell in the 6th chain from the hook will give you shell #10 .... you continue in that row which is 31 working one shell in each 2ch space like you have been (9+1=10).  Maybe it's the fact that they don't mention "turn" that is confusing you.

Does that help?

Archived