Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

This pattern is very accommodating to other yarns but the original one has such a nice feel.  I am just finishing my 3rd cardigan. I made one out of a finer yarn with sequins in light blue and one out of a almost worsted weight in a gunmetal metallic for my daughter and I to wear for a wedding.

I found that for my size I needed to add some rows when working across the arm shaping to make the arm holes a bit larger. It also made the cardigan longer which my daughter liked. If my photos show up you can see the size difference between the CAL yarn and original pattern and the thicker yarn, size J hook and added rows. I also liked the Asian joining technique. This shell stich is such a nice look and just a little different from other shells.

I appreciated all the tips this month. :yes

I really like the color of the first one. But I agree with you, this pattern does accomadate well to other yarns. I plan on making a few more of them in different yarns, esp. since my Mother confiscated the blue one I just finished and my sister the first one.. :yes

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pattern is very accommodating to other yarns but the original one has such a nice feel.  I am just finishing my 3rd cardigan. I made one out of a finer yarn with sequins in light blue and one out of a almost worsted weight in a gunmetal metallic for my daughter and I to wear for a wedding.

I found that for my size I needed to add some rows when working across the arm shaping to make the arm holes a bit larger. It also made the cardigan longer which my daughter liked. If my photos show up you can see the size difference between the CAL yarn and original pattern and the thicker yarn, size J hook and added rows. I also liked the Asian joining technique. This shell stich is such a nice look and just a little different from other shells.

Thank you for posting.  I too am looking at the arm hole and wondering if I will need to widen it.  Curious about which yarns you used.

As much as I am not thrilled with this yarn, it does complement the garment and it is what give it that wonderful drape.

So pretty!  I am just about finished with mine... I'm working on the sleeves now and my mom wants one in brown.  I'm trying to decide whether to buy the mimosa or to use a different yarn.  I really liked working with the mimosa and really like the drape, so right now I'm leaning towards that ~ but I think I'll do some yarn shopping before I decide!  

I am not that far yet.  However, from other items I have made we should chain one and then single chain into the space where we just slip stitched in.  then do our chain 3.  gives us something to slip stitch into when we get to the end of that round and keeps our work more even.

I am at this point I am very confused.  This is the garment neck edging.

Round/row 3 looks very much like round 1 is this correct???

Almost finished ......... low on yarn.  I don't think I have enough for one sleeve much less two.  It is a really nice cardigan.  I'm impressed.  Sorry the pics are in B/W because of the lighting and not using the flash because of the mirrors and I have a slight shake can't hold it steady. :(

post-70534-0-33479000-1393461566_thumb.jpgpost-70534-0-17550500-1393461587_thumb.jpg

post-70534-0-25026500-1393461728_thumb.jpg

I can't figure out how to respond to specific posts but-    the other yarns I tried are Patons Metallic which is a "4 medium" using a J hook and Loops and Threads Payette that is a "2 fine" using a G hook.  The metallic snags easily on my rough hands and cuticles and the Payette is rather itchy feeling but both look nice.  The Mimosa has really been my favorite for this. I like the way it feels, didn't have much trouble with twisting and maybe have some spring fever- it feels more like a spring or summer yarn. I like the fiber content.

Almost finished ......... low on yarn.  I don't think I have enough for one sleeve much less two.  It is a really nice cardigan.  I'm impressed.  Sorry the pics are in B/W because of the lighting and not using the flash because of the mirrors and I have a slight shake can't hold it steady. :(

attachicon.gifDSC04630.JPGattachicon.gifDSC04632.JPG

Pretty!

attachicon.gifDSC04630.JPGattachicon.gifDSC04632.JPG

Looks really nice!

I am stuck on the first front panel. I just finished row 22 and ended up with 10 shells , not 7. I've ripped it out 5 times. Attached is a picture. Help please!

No pic attached.  Did you follow the instructions from the BACK panel for rows 3-9 twice (x2)?  You should end up with 6 shells @ row 16.  

Oh, there is a mistake in the written pattern in Row 22.  I ran into this problem!

This is how it is written, exactly:

Row22: ch3, 1 shell in 1st ch sp, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to end, 1 shell in 1 ch sp, dc in last st. (7 shells)

This is how it SHOULD be, correction here.

Row22: ch3, 1 shell in 1st ch sp, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to end, 1 shell in 1 ch sp, dc in last st. (7 shells)

Hope this helps.

I too never was "bashing" anyone.  I joined this CAL because Amy said she would be here to help us.  Thank goondess you all are here to help me because Amy hasn't addressed any of the problems we've been having for the past 3 or 4 pages of this thread.  The amount of money I spent on this kit, I would expect a corrected pattern without all the extra notes, pages I've printed, etc...to help me thru it.  Grant it, it's my first garment ever but I was under the impression that we would get "guided" help.  I'm just disappointed and frustrated with it all but am determined to keep plugging along with it. 

I too never was "bashing" anyone.  I joined this CAL because Amy said she would be here to help us.  Thank goondess you all are here to help me because Amy hasn't addressed any of the problems we've been having for the past 3 or 4 pages of this thread.  The amount of money I spent on this kit, I would expect a corrected pattern without all the extra notes, pages I've printed, etc...to help me thru it.  Grant it, it's my first garment ever but I was under the impression that we would get "guided" help.  I'm just disappointed and frustrated with it all but am determined to keep plugging along with it. 

I am almost finished with just the two sleeves remaining.  The finished garment is really beautiful.  So keep on plugging.

I too was disappointed and very frustrated but with everyone's help was able to get through it.  I will stick to USA/American patterns from now on.  I'm not good nor experienced enough to interpret the British/European style of writing where punctuation is optional.  Just use to a much more detailed pattern style along with picture guides.  I guess people who are use to that style will experience sensory overload from the US/American patterns I'm use to.

Please post a pic of your finished garment!   

It has been very disappointing to have Amy disappear before the end of the month.  And I do agree that it would be great to receive a corrected pattern at some point.  That said, I am finished with all of my pieces and planning to put them together tonight.  Any tips, hints, tricks or advice on how to do this when things doesn't match up exactly? Should I block it first to make it match up?

It has been very disappointing to have Amy disappear before the end of the month.  And I do agree that it would be great to receive a corrected pattern at some point.  That said, I am finished with all of my pieces and planning to put them together tonight.  Any tips, hints, tricks or advice on how to do this when things doesn't match up exactly? Should I block it first to make it match up?

I used the Asian join technique and it is wonderful.  I held the pieces together with stitch markers and matched as good as I could before actually starting the join.  Even with that method I had to frog back partially twice when one side ended up longer than the other.   Using the Asian join frogging is a piece of cake.   I would match the ends of the uneven side and work my way back to the middle.  If I had to frog a little more I did.  It worked out fine with no major issues.

I think blocking the entire garment has advantages over blocking each piece.  You don't want to block a piece and find that the size is off.  It kinda sets the stitches in place and I don't want to do that until the entire garment is put together.  I have very limited experience with blocking but this is what I'm doing.  

Yes, I would like a corrected pattern to but I don't think that's going to happen.  I sent an inquiry to the designer a week ago and aside from a case number generated by an auto response system I've had not received a reply.   That kinda speaks for it'self.  This is not meant to "bash" the designer this is just the mere facts.

I've just finished mine! Like the way it turned out. Had to frog part of the back twice, but after that it went well. I just need to weave in all the ends. I'll post a picture later after I get all the ends taken care of.

Ends are woven in. Not the best pictures; my camera battery died- had to use my phone.

post-19583-0-98067900-1393601818_thumb.jpg

post-19583-0-15435400-1393601847_thumb.jpg

I've just finished mine! Like the way it turned out. Had to frog part of the back twice, but after that it went well. I just need to weave in all the ends. I'll post a picture later after I get all the ends taken care of.

Ends are woven in. Not the best pictures; my camera battery died- had to use my phone.

attachicon.gif0228141013-01_crop.jpg

attachicon.gif0228141014-00_crop.jpg

Very nice!!!

attachicon.gif0228141013-01_crop.jpg

attachicon.gif0228141014-00_crop.jpg

Very pretty!  I'm almost done with mine.  I just have to finish the last sleeve and weave in the ends.  My Mom wants one in brown too and I'm still trying to decide whether to use the mimosa or another type of yarn.

Blocking question...  

I've never blocked anything before.  Has anyone blocked this cardigan?  I actually think mine looks nice the way it is, but if it can look even better, I'm certainly willing to give it a try.  If so, do you any recommendations on how to do it?  I've tried to do some research but and a little confused since the yarn has both cotton and rayon.

Blocking question...  

I've never blocked anything before.  Has anyone blocked this cardigan?  I actually think mine looks nice the way it is, but if it can look even better, I'm certainly willing to give it a try.  If so, do you any recommendations on how to do it?  I've tried to do some research but and a little confused since the yarn has both cotton and rayon.

Been researching this.   It's a bit heavy for me to soak in water, roll in towels to damp dry and then shape like I would if I hand washed a wool garment.  I'm going to do a soft block where you spray the garment to dampen and then stretch and pin it to shape.  Let air dry.  Seems that rayon is weaken by water but not cotton.  The shiny thread in Mimosa is the rayon part I would assume. 

Did we ever get a response for a translation of the care symbols on the yarn band?  I don't recall one.

I don't know what the policy here @ Crochetville about including outside links but I here is one about Z and S twist and blocking.  It's a long piece but chock full of info from respected sources: http://dorischancroc.../category/yarn/  Interesting read.

I also have a source for inexpensive foam pads you can use for blocking, no not the kids stuff that can leach dye onto you garments.  

Note: to moderator ..... remove link if it is in violation of your policy and my apologies in advance.  

I am considering buying some more of the yarn to make a couple more projects.  But the pictures are throwing me off a bit: the "jade" looks very bluish (more teal or turquoise), the coral looks more pinkish, etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the colors?

I'm having the same problem, it's the way the monitors show colors. I order a color and when I get it it isn't what I thought it would be. I thought the cream would be lighter than it is. That;s why I'm hesitating to order more....that and the twisting part. I thought about ordering the colors that everyone said they didn't have that problem with, but am afraid of what they actually are.. :think

I am considering buying some more of the yarn to make a couple more projects.  But the pictures are throwing me off a bit: the "jade" looks very bluish (more teal or turquoise), the coral looks more pinkish, etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the colors?

I absolutely love the rose wine... here is a pic I posted earlier of my cardigan in process to give you an idea of that color.

post-70527-0-89297200-1393609435_thumb.jpg

Archived