Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

Thank you again JourneyGal for the row count help for me...it worked!  I am now working on the front sections.  It sure would be nice if Amy checked in to help us.  I agree that this pattern is one of the worse I have ever tried to make.  So many mistakes in it.  Don't think I will try another garmet CAL for a very long time!  :yes

Looks like we are leaderless.  It's only us against the world.

I have yet to receive a response for the designer .......... kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth.  I had eyes on another one of her patterns but I deleted it from my Ravelry cart.  

I did use the Asian join method and it's really nice.   I didn't do to good with matching up the first shoulder but the second one will be nicer and then to the sides.  Hopefully I can start with the edging and sleeves later today. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah!  I'm so glad that someone could benefit from my frustration ;-) It was really my pleasure @kittyloverdeb!  I've received a lot of help from this forum too.  I've never made a sweater before and I've really learned so much.  

I'm making this one for myself.... but my Mom loves it and wants one too.  I'm a little nervous about trying it again, because I don't know if I can read all the notes I made for myself.  I wish we could get a cleaned up version of the pattern.

I totally agree, since we PAID for the pattern a clean version should be forwarded to us.  I'm not sure if this pattern was in circulation before but I kinda feel like we were the guinea pigs for it. 

I used the Asian join technique... but I only did 3 chains instead of 5. That made my sc stitches about 3/4" apart. I was really happy with the results.

It does say in the pattern that when doing the join... sc chain 3 sc. And to make your sc about half an inch apart.

I'm working on the "Neck Bottom Edge" section.  I think the first stitch on Round 3 should be ch 3, instead of 1 ch.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I am not that far yet.  However, from other items I have made we should chain one and then single chain into the space where we just slip stitched in.  then do our chain 3.  gives us something to slip stitch into when we get to the end of that round and keeps our work more even.

my husband calls me the defender of the world, so, I am going to be active in that role here with Jenny's pattern.  I need to defend her and her pattern this way.  Jenny's patterns are usually written in British/European wording. When you look at patterns on her Ravelry page they will note this.  And there are designers who write patterns in such a way that we don't always see.  With patience and a little time (and help from this forum) I didn't find the pattern so horribly written or difficult to follow. 

Done with this one! Just now finished it. It's smaller than the one made with the Mimosa thread, but not much. I'll take it up to my Mom's in a little while and have her try it on and take another pic. But here it is, fresh off the hook...

post-68557-0-85945400-1393352480_thumb.jpg

It does say in the pattern that when doing the join... sc chain 3 sc. And to make your sc about half an inch apart.

my husband calls me the defender of the world, so, I am going to be active in that role here with Jenny's pattern.  I need to defend her and her pattern this way.  Jenny's patterns are usually written in British/European wording. When you look at patterns on her Ravelry page they will note this.  And there are designers who write patterns in such a way that we don't always see.  With patience and a little time (and help from this forum) I didn't find the pattern so horribly written or difficult to follow. 

I'm adjusting the # of chains to fit the motif and layout of the garment.  Some are 3, 4 others 5 ..... whatever fits.

I'm not here to trash her, just buyer beware.  Yes, her patterns are written in the British/European style and if an American version was not offered then it would be on me to interpret it.  But since an American version was offered it should be complete and not left kinda half finished flapping in the breeze.  No it was not horrible to follow but this is the first pattern that I've come across with so many adjustments/corrections.  Mistakes are made, everyone makes them but it seems like it wasn't even proof read.  Where's the follow-up?  

Maybe I'm just spoiled, whenever I sent an inquiry to a designer for a pattern that I purchase I get a really prompt reply.  It's been 4 days and I only have a case #.  Thank goodness it was clarified by JourneyGal.

Yes and maybe I'm being unrealistic and expecting too much.

I was thinking the same thing.

I am not that far yet.  However, from other items I have made we should chain one and then single chain into the space where we just slip stitched in.  then do our chain 3.  gives us something to slip stitch into when we get to the end of that round and keeps our work more even.

That's what I did and it worked out fine.

I was thinking the same thing.

This is my first Jenny King design/pattern. Reading some of the latest comments, I have to defend the designer... bash me if you wish. In my opinion, the pattern is NOT written badly. Most of the problems I have read about have been from US crocheters misunderstanding the way an Australian has written the pattern. That is not her fault and is addressed upfront. I have not had trouble with the pattern at all and have enjoyed making such a lovely garment and using such an uncomplicated pattern.  Many of the questions I saw asked and places some were having trouble with, were actually addressed in post #2. I really hate to see Jenny King bashed for her pattern writing. If someone has a problem understanding her patterns then just stay away from her patterns, but do not publically bash her as a designer.  :ohdear  :shrug  :think  :waving 

I am also confused with this project; however, my confusion stems from the forum posts.  I am having difficulty following them and keep up with all the changes.  And, if I have a problem, I have to sift through tons of posts to find an answer.  I love working this stich and this is my first garment, so I know it will not be perfect.  But, I would like to do it again.  A revised pattern would be gold!

I finished the back; however, I did not know about the revised directions.  I ended up with 4 shells at about row 49-50 (lost track of row numbers).  Do I need to rip it out and do the corrections?  Or will I be alright leaving as is and continue on the the front panels?

I lost track of my row numbers too, but I ended up with 4 shells and went on to do the front panels and they matched up. On my second one I marked them off as I was going and ended up with 4 shells at row 50. It's up to you if you want to leave it or rip it, if it were me I'd leave it..

I am also confused with this project; however, my confusion stems from the forum posts.  I am having difficulty following them and keep up with all the changes.  And, if I have a problem, I have to sift through tons of posts to find an answer.  I love working this stich and this is my first garment, so I know it will not be perfect.  But, I would like to do it again.  A revised pattern would be gold!

go to the first page.  Many questions that you may have are on the first page, post #2.  Amy has been very good about trying to keep up with posting corrections and answers there.

Oh... I never ran into that before.  Thank you.  Now that makes so much more sense to me.  I did a chain 3 on the neck... I'll try this on the sleeves.

I certainly hope that nothing that I have said on this forum is considered bashing.  If so, I apologize, as it was not my intention.  I have enjoyed the pattern... and I LOVE my cardigan.  But I have to say that since I have recently returned to crocheting, I was completely naive about differences in instructions from around the world... which I think led to a lot of my confusion.  One of the reasons I decided to participate in a CAL is that this is my first cardigan, and I thought it would be great to have a community to get me past any difficulties.  I have been grateful for the the help that everyone has offered, and have tried to pay it forward and help where I could.

Here are pictures of my Mom and my sister modeling the second cardi. My Mom is standing by the table and my sister is in the kitchen, they are pretty much the same height, 4' 11, but Jeri is bigger on top.

:clap Looks so nice, thank you for sharing the pictures. :ty 

I am almost finished with my second front panel.  Since I have NEVER blocked a project before, I am just wondering if people would advise me to block it before or after joining?

I also want to say that I am disappointed that Amy seems to have disappeared before the end of the month. 

I am looking forward to posting a picture of the finished project soon.

I certainly hope that nothing that I have said on this forum is considered bashing.  If so, I apologize, as it was not my intention.  I have enjoyed the pattern... and I LOVE my cardigan.  But I have to say that since I have recently returned to crocheting, I was completely naive about differences in instructions from around the world... which I think led to a lot of my confusion.  One of the reasons I decided to participate in a CAL is that this is my first cardigan, and I thought it would be great to have a community to get me past any difficulties.  I have been grateful for the the help that everyone has offered, and have tried to pay it forward and help where I could.

I don't think that expressing one's disappointment with the release of the pattern as it is is bashing the designer.  A few have expressed their thoughts including myself.  It has nothing to do with the creative quality of the design nor anything disparaging about the the designers talent.  It is a very nice garment and I will use the pattern again.  

If this pattern was purchased without the CAL and forum I think one who is not experience with garments would be very frustrated.  I would have struggled more without the help freely offered in this forum that have helped myself and others through the "what the heck is this" areas.  But some of these "bumps" in the pattern could have been avoided.

I am almost finished with my second front panel.  Since I have NEVER blocked a project before, I am just wondering if people would advise me to block it before or after joining?

I also want to say that I am disappointed that Amy seems to have disappeared before the end of the month. 

I am looking forward to posting a picture of the finished project soon.

I have never had to block anything before either.  I plan to block the entire thing after it's all finished.  It kinda makes sense to shape the entire garment.  

This pattern is very accommodating to other yarns but the original one has such a nice feel.  I am just finishing my 3rd cardigan. I made one out of a finer yarn with sequins in light blue and one out of a almost worsted weight in a gunmetal metallic for my daughter and I to wear for a wedding.

I found that for my size I needed to add some rows when working across the arm shaping to make the arm holes a bit larger. It also made the cardigan longer which my daughter liked. If my photos show up you can see the size difference between the CAL yarn and original pattern and the thicker yarn, size J hook and added rows. I also liked the Asian joining technique. This shell stich is such a nice look and just a little different from other shells.

I appreciated all the tips this month. :yes 

post-63620-0-31777400-1393394637_thumb.jpg

post-63620-0-79006300-1393394700_thumb.jpg

Archived